Retroflag GPI case - anyone?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I take a USb drive install Yumi and my favorite Linux distro at the time and drag and drop roms on the PI's SD card. I've never used that Samba thing. Before I figured that out I used the USB method but it wouldn't work for this application.

Well I'm pretty happy, it's worth the price for Mame4All alone so far.

Anybody else not install the SD card dust cover? I fiddled around with it for a few seconds then decided it would be to tight to take the card in and out with.

So, you aren't running retropie?

I too was tempted to rip off that damn SD card cover as well.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
So, you aren't running retropie?

I too was tempted to rip off that damn SD card cover as well.

No I'm using that usergroup retropie distro.

What I'm saying is I run Linux live off a usb stick on my computer and put the raspberry pies Sd card in it and drag and drop the roms onto it.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
No I'm using that usergroup retropie distro.

What I'm saying is I run Linux live off a usb stick on my computer and put the raspberry pies Sd card in it and drag and drop the roms onto it.

ahhhh, ok ok gotcha

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I don't understand the start up time complaint. I've loaded it up with every game ever made and scrape them all and it loads up in about 70 seconds. I could clean it up and it'll be even faster.

Yeah battery life is around 3-4 hours so far. It comes with a long enough USB cable to run it off a battery bank, you wont notice it and that will last until the end of mankind.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Got one of these recently, and gonna put the battery charging mod into it.

So far I'm fairly impressed with it, though the 'shoulder' buttons feel weird. My biggest complaint is that the PiZero W has trouble emulating the NGPC of all things. Wtf. It can do GBA, but not NGPC? Damn.. I wanted to play Cardfighters Clash on the go again.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah this basically means you can run it with a Pi 3 instead of a Zero, so that opens up some more systems that didn't work before like NGPC, arcade stuff, and much better SNES emulation. The tradeoff is it uses quite a bit more power. Still, with the GPi's form factor it would be easy to swap cartridges and just use the CM3 when you play something that needs the extra juice.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Doing some grave digging I've found this post.

I've had a retroflag with a pi zero w but without much use since emulation of most of the systems was pretty slow. Now that pi zero 2 w has launched I'm trying the Super Retropie Z2 build they just released https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mD...rmGXtQXUPA-_nxaEgklBFnJ2BJbRh3aQ0jLT7erfvWUE4 and I hope that it'd run most systems pretty smoothly.

I'll let you guys know.
super curious about this. I was running a CM3+ on mine and it was decent. But I ended up giving it to a buddy. I might rebuy one if the Pi Zero2 works well.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I've tried the image and works fine, still trying to look for a proper romset for this...

UPDATE: I've tried snes, MegaDrive (Genesis is a rock band), N64, PS1 and some arcade games (3 Wonders, The King of Dragons and Sunset Riders) and everything works very smooth, aside from some N64 games. I have yet to try Dreamcast and some more demanding arcade games but so far so good.
By the way, boot up time is now around 35 seconds, which is an around 40% reduction of the time it took the pi zero w to load, which was a bit frustrating. Now booting is not great, but fast enough.

Last edited:

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Well, seems like dreamcast is out of the equation. Neo Geo plays really fine though, sucks that the d-pad, even if you mod it, sucks for fighter games.

Still have to try more arcade games but really happy so far.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I was running Batocera on mine and liked iit but still ended up selling it because I was happier in general with the Odroid GO Advance.
My complaint system wise was it didn't play some newer arcade games I wanted to smoothly enough.
I was contemplating getting the CM3 adapter for it but decided how many handheld systems do I need?