Ridge Racer Unbounded announced

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I remember when I saw the intro to Ridge Racer V.

Blew me away. Stylized. Sweeping camera angles. Infectious song thumping in the background. Visually engaging. Different. Sexy. Holy crap this is real time graphics on the PS2 (still impresses me to this day). Exciting. Unique. Fun.

This trailer just shat on all of that (hey that kinda rhymed). Though I shook my head in shame, I had a sneaking suspicion douchebags everywhere were yelling "AWWWWW YEEAAA BOYYYEEZZZZ" at the end of the video.

Way to screw the pooch Namco.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Don't crap on NFS Underground. Those games were the pinnacle of that series. But I have to agree I don't like seeing Ridge Racer changed, especially when the franchise is being outsourced to another developer.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
As such, because of Namco's lack of vision and their disconnect with what fans love about the series, we get turds like this. You'd have thought they would have learned their lesson with R: Racing Evolution.

I don't think R: Evolution was bad,
it was kinda clear that it was just a side story underneath the brand umbrella.
Which is what I'm assuming Unbounded is.
The story was okay and it was decent for running through at least once.
It seems like we only realistically get a full blown ridge racer whenever there's a new console.

Kaioh

Sakura's Bank Manager
This makes me sad. It also reminds me that I still need to get a copy of Ridge Racer 7!

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
... and if history repeats itself the new PSP system should have a new ridge racer to launch with it aswell.

Thanks to the power of the PSP2, and ease of transferring from the PS3, it'll more likely be a port of Unbounded.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
What's really annoying is that the series has been put on hold for several years, and now seems about the right time to release a new title, but alas, we end up with this shit.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
What have they done? This is quite an odd direction for what I thought was a japanese beachside metropolis arcade racing game with a population of one mysterious girl.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I believe a real Ridge Racer game is coming for the 3DS. Wouldn't be surprised if there will be an NGP one too. The series usually shows up on new systems.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Namco has been disappointing lately. First they fuck up Ace Combat, now this.

Ridge Racer and Ace Combat are two of my most revered gaming franchises, so I'm not a happy camper right now. I'm going to go dig out my old copy of R4 and weep as I play. :crying:

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
To this day I still absolutely love R4. It is the pinnacle of the Ridge Racer series for me. The addition of the story elements to the classic RR gameplay made it absolutely perfect in my eyes and a game that they have yet to eclipse.

R5 lost some of the feel.

R6/7 brought back the RR feel and they were a blast to play but the addition of the "nitrous" system was a red flag.

Now this...abomination.

This......bastard child of Burnout/NFS etc wearing RR's clothes.

Fuck whatever this is.

Please quit trying to make everything gritty/hip/urban.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Magicbox put up pics for rr 3ds.
I think they look kind of dumpy.
They do.

On the other hand, they look mind-blowing for a DS game. Almost psp1 quality. Hopefully, the 3D effect will be cool enough to make up for things.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
They do.

On the other hand, they look mind-blowing for a DS game. Almost psp1 quality. Hopefully, the 3D effect will be cool enough to make up for things.

That would be it's only saving grace.
It looks like N64 textures with ps2 antialiased jaggies.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
There's a lot riding on the 3D thing. How good it turns out and how much the public embraces it.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
So the developers who made Flatout are making this game. A Ridge Racer game. What. The. Fuck Namco?

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
They keep showing the TV commercial for this here in Japan. The graphics look really bad. They look like DS graphics - I don't know why they are doing it.

I loved Ridge Racer. I went back and played 7 again recently. It's not that great unfortunately... R4 is still the best.

ironish

Dodgeball Yakuza
So the developers who made Flatout are making this game. A Ridge Racer game. What. The. Fuck Namco?

In all honesty that's the biggest thing I'm worried about. I myself would probably buy the game even with the change of direction if they A) had the same fantastic music as in 7 and B) the game was just as fun as Burnout. I'd be totally down for that. Probably not going to happen with this developer though.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDGEEEEEEEE RRRRRRAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Sigh.......guess I'll dig out my copies of the various older games