SCART to HDMI adapters (PS2, etc)

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Does anyone have experience with PS2 to HDMI adapters (such as the ones they sell on Ebay)?
(for use with a big screen TV)
Some are specific to the PS2, and some are more general SCART to HDMI adapters (for other consoles using a SCART cable), and some have RGB support (as well as component).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295379966260

https://www.ebay.com/itm/176104140393

Do these devices keep the original resolution of the PS2, even though they scale the picture up to the 1080p HDMI standard?

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
If they are anything like the Sega Saturn or AES ones I have, they will do the job at upscaling the original resolution to 1080p but with some colour bleed similar to the picture quality you used to get from an RF lead. Best picture for PS2 is probably from an early backwards compatible PS3 with hdmi mr joe8.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
https://www.ebay.com/itm/176104140393

Do these devices keep the original resolution of the PS2, even though they scale the picture up to the 1080p HDMI standard?
Oh yuck. This thing was infamous already at least five years ago. Yeah, it's cheap and converts analog video to HDMI, but it's very laggy and it treats 240p as 480i, which is a very bad way to handle the source signal. Just get a Retrotink 2X if you're trying to cheap out.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
They scale but not good. You don't want 480i or 576i on modern 4K TVs. There are some 480p games but most are interlaced unless you force them via hack or something.

My advice for the PS2 is to buy a GBSC and use the Component connection. Most modern TVs don't have Component anymore but I used it for years on my old TV and it was fine. Spend some more for a GBSC or more for an OSSC instead of the cheapest solutions out there.

PS2 over PS3 sucks and the fat PS3 consoles all die the YLOD.

I deserved a 🐨 react with this answer I guess.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I run component cables into the retrotink 5x on a 4k TV, and I'm happy with the results. But before upgrading to the 5X last year, I used the retrotink 2x multi with the PS2, and it also worked pretty well. Although I had to adjust the aspect ratio sometimes with certain games, which wasn't a big deal or anything, but I think the 5x automatically recognizes this and adjusts it for you if need be.

So get a decent set of component cables, or ypbpr or whatever it's called, and a retrotink 2x for a fairly cost effective setup that's going to look great. HD retrovision and Insurrection Industries make quality modern AV cables for old consoles, but there are probably some others out there as well. Spend a little extra for quality cables though, because there are tons of cheapos out there that are garbage.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Don't confuse a converter with an upscaler.
They are two very different things that appear to do the same job.
The converters are fine if all you're trying to do is watch movies on the cheap.
If you're playing games or are going for correct resolution get an OSSC or retrotink.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Don't confuse a converter with an upscaler.
They are two very different things that appear to do the same job.
The converters are fine if all you're trying to do is watch movies on the cheap.
If you're playing games or are going for correct resolution get an OSSC or retrotink.
so, what do you mean by correct resolution- 1080p (the HDMI standard res), or the original PS2 resolution?
Personally I think the original PS2 resolution would be best (?)
For example, if you're playing a PS2 port of a Neo Geo game (such as AOF), it's low-res, so you'd want it to stay that way (so you'd get visible scan lines).
Different games on the PS2 seem to run at different resolutions- for example, SF Alpha 2 is going to higher res than AOF.
Or, you would think it would be possible for the adapter to upscale the res to 1080p, while keeping the effective resolution at the original res of the PS2 game (by "quadrupling" the pixels).

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Again, an adapter just converts one connector to another.
A scaler will change the resolution.
A scaler may be able to do both but the adapter can't.
Your TV may not be able to display the original resolution of a PS2.
You would need to scale it up to something it does understand then mess with aspect ratio to make it look right.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
so, what do you mean by correct resolution- 1080p (the HDMI standard res), or the original PS2 resolution?
Personally I think the original PS2 resolution would be best (?)
For example, if you're playing a PS2 port of a Neo Geo game (such as AOF), it's low-res, so you'd want it to stay that way (so you'd get visible scan lines).
Different games on the PS2 seem to run at different resolutions- for example, SF Alpha 2 is going to higher res than AOF.
Or, you would think it would be possible for the adapter to upscale the res to 1080p, while keeping the effective resolution at the original res of the PS2 game (by "quadrupling" the pixels).
Not really, no. The PS2 outpts 480i with the occasional option for 240p if you're lucky. The games that go beyond 480i are rare. And all of them look far better on a traditional CRT than on a modern digital flatscreen (their ages graphics just weren't designed to be displayed so sharp).

On a modern screen, you want a decent scaler that is designed to handle 240p properly with little lag. As long as it converts to HDMI the output resolution will be good for a modern TV, but of course an output of full HD or higher is best.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
PS2 over PS3 sucks and the fat PS3 consoles all die the YLOD.
Buying a fat PS3 to play PS2 is the equivalent of buying a Laseractive to play Sega Genesis. Sounds cool if you think about it for less than 5 seconds though

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Recommending a 60GB fat lady was fine when they released the 80GB without PS2 support but not today.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Buying a fat PS3 to play PS2 is the equivalent of buying a Laseractive to play Sega Genesis. Sounds cool if you think about it for less than 5 seconds though

I love the thrill of whatever im playing on at any time dying from the thermal cycles.

PS2 and PS1 suck ass on PS3 since you still get 1-2 frames of lag iirc. The only real benefit is if games change resolutions often (like 240p to 480i in menus) so you don't get black screens. At that point you are probably better off just getting a retrotink 5x with motion adaptation since there is a feature to counter that nonsense.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
It's like playing GameCube on the Wii. The video output will be wrong.