School in Memphis...seriously what the hell

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Memphis Principal Outs Gay Students To School, Parents
Memphis, TN - Attorneys for the American Civil Liberties Union say Daphne Beasley, the principal of Hollis F. Price Middle College High School in South Memphis, went way beyond her role as educator.

The ACLU says in September 2007, Beasley asked her staff to give her the names of students who were couples, heterosexual and homosexual, because she wanted to keep an eye on them to cut down on public displays of affection.

She’s accused of publicly posting the names of those students, including two boys, Andrew and Nicholas, who had just started dating. The ACLU says that in doing so, Beasley revealed their relationship to other students, teachers and even their parents.

Nicholas says his teachers and other students treat him differently as a result of Principal Beasley’s decision and that he and Andrew have both had to deal with verbal assaults. Nicholas was also not allowed to go on a trip to New Orleans to help rebuild homes because, as one of his teacher’s explained, he would “embarrass” the school by engaging in gay affection.
link

When I first heard about this in the morning, I was absolutely disgusted. Who the hell does she thinks she is singling out and humiliating these kids like this?

Apparently the Memphis City School Board is contending that she did nothing wrong.
:rolleyes:

Seriously, WTF.

Lochlan

Igniz's Servent
I'm glad to see that the South is continuing their longstanding tradition of embracing diversity.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Lochlan said:
I'm glad to see that the South is continuing their longstanding tradition of embracing diversity.

Well given Memphis' proximity to the Deep South, it shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone.

Plus the chances of the South embracing diversity anytime soon is highly unlikely. There is too much animosity that got built into the social fabric of that region towards minority peoples because of the Civil War.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Lochlan said:

Pretty much.

Man, I thought that the teachers and principals were supposed to look out for their students, not sell them out to get beat the fuck up. Grounds for immediate dissmissal if you ask me. Fire the bitch yesterday.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Schools are public places - not private brothels away from parent's prying eyes. You want it a secret? Don't be a couple in public. Life lesson. Not difficult. Thumbs up.

HeartlessNinny

ForeverSublime said:
Schools are public places - not private brothels away from parent's prying eyes. You want it a secret? Don't be a couple in public. Life lesson. Not difficult. Thumbs up.

So you're defending this shit? Fuck, remind me never to tell you anything in confidence, you prick. :mad:

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
ForeverSublime said:

Wrong.

It is not the school's faculties place to publicly humiliate its students and deny them access to school trips and programs because they would "embarrass" the school.

"Nicholas was also not allowed to go on a trip to New Orleans to help rebuild homes because, as one of his teacher’s explained, he would “embarrass” the school by engaging in gay affection."

This right here is why that school is going to have the ACLU up its ass sooner than you can say reach around.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
If these kids had been caught in public, it'd been one thing.
But these kids were reported to administration by teachers. People who are supposed to be confidants. Who then violated trust to some uppity administrator who wanted to oust all couples without the slightest thought to the school and to the public.

The covering up by the school isn't something that surprises me.
It's this generalization that it's just the American South that it could ever happen in.

At least I won't ever have to worry about some of you guys ever showing up in my neck of the woods.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Nesagwa said:
"Nicholas was also not allowed to go on a trip to New Orleans to help rebuild homes because, as one of his teacher’s explained, he would “embarrass” the school by engaging in gay affection.'

They should have stated the reason for not allowing them to go was because they're so gay they can't even hammer nails straight!

*rimshot*

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
Not to condone the principal's actions, but...

Nesagwa said:
"Nicholas was also not allowed to go on a trip to New Orleans to help rebuild homes because, as one of his teacher’s explained, he would “embarrass” the school by engaging in gay affection."

This right here is why that school is going to have the ACLU up its ass sooner than you can say reach around.

To put a twist on things, suppose the school had publicly outed anyone identified as Christian and denied them access to school trips because they might "embarrass" the school by engaging in prayer, I'll betcha that the ACLU would have nothing to say on the matter.

HeartlessNinny

KagerouSama said:
If these kids had been caught in public, it'd been one thing.
But these kids were reported to administration by teachers. People who are supposed to be confidants. Who then violated trust to some uppity administrator who wanted to oust all couples without the slightest thought to the school and to the public.

The covering up by the school isn't something that surprises me.
It's this generalization that it's just the American South that it could ever happen in.

At least I won't ever have to worry about some of you guys ever showing up in my neck of the woods.

Well... I feel a bit glib agreeing with that characterization, now that I'm thinking about it. I've known plenty of people from the South, and to my knowledge, not one of 'em was a bigot. So apologies on my part for that.

Back to the point: if anyone has any doubts, the article says that they specifically weren't being affectionate in any way in public. This was a fucking witch-hunt, pure and simple —a witch-hunt targeting kids, for fuck's sake.

It's gross and deplorable, and should be severely punished. Period. Christ, why do you think the suicide rate for gay teens is much higher than their straight counterparts? This shit pisses me off.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Zenimus said:
To put a twist on things, suppose the school had publicly outed anyone identified as Christian and denied them access to school trips because they might "embarrass" the school by engaging in prayer, I'll betcha that the ACLU would have nothing to say on the matter.

Probably not. Not that Im supporting the ACLU - but you know theyre going to show up hootin and a hollerin (they always do.)

The kids should sue the school board and the principal should be removed, plain as that.

HeartlessNinny

Zenimus said:

So what. It would still be wrong.

aria

Former Moderator
It would've been awesomer if Nick and Andy weren't gay, but some really evil/funny students convinced a teacher that they were so they got reported. :very_ang: :lolz: :smirk:

...that's actually a good plot for a movie set in HS. Like Juno II or something --Honest to blog.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Nesagwa said:
Wrong.

It is not the school's faculties place to publicly humiliate its students and deny them access to school trips and programs because they would "embarrass" the school.

My fault.

You're right. The last sentence was the one I didn't read. I hate to blame poor reporting, but 90% of the article has nothing to do with the issue. The article appeared to be about outing couples (hetero and homo) in a public school... until the last sentence.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Zenimus said:

Does it feel good to be crucified in your own mind for your religion?

I bet it does doesn't it. Helps to maintain a hard on for 72 hours.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
bokmeow said:
Does it feel good to be crucified in your own mind for your religion?

I bet it does doesn't it. Helps to maintain a hard on for 72 hours.

.... ummmmm.... what?

are_u_on_drugs.jpg

racecar

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
20 Year Member
it's shit like that, will cause school shooting ~

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
50003~Confederate-Flag-Posters.jpg

i wish i was in dixie land, away, away! in dixie land i'll make my stand to live and die in dixie land!