Sega CD ...what a beast.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Today I found a near mint Sega CD2 + Genesis 1 setup at a local Value Village.
It has barely any marks on it...I was pretty surprised. The only thing wrong at all was a bit of dust. It came with 2 barely used controllers as well. I mean, for the whole package there were maybe one or two little nicks or scuffs. It looked like someone had bought it new, used it once or twice and then left it on a shelf to collect dust.
I tested everything and it works just fine.
It cost me like $20 for the package.

And the kicker...the backup memory works perfectly.

One thing I had selectively forgotten from when I used to own a Genesis/CD2 setup back in the day...this cocksucker requires two AC adapters. Goddam.
What a power whore...my PC Engine CD briefcase setup runs off one.

Oh well...time to dig out my old Lunar disc...:D

dark penguin

Rade said:
Where in Ontario are you?

Ottawa valley...the same Value Village had a bunch of Genesis/Saturn/Sega CD games as well, so I may go have a look through those in the near future. They were all $5.99....even Sewer Shark.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
dark penguin said:
Ottawa valley...the same Value Village had a bunch of Genesis/Saturn/Sega CD games as well, so I may go have a look through those in the near future. They were all $5.99....even Sewer Shark.

Were they new? Because the value village near my house had a bunch of new saturn games (doom, double switch, shit like that) for 4.99.

Of course, asshat slobs were very quick to put those on eBay for 9.99, lol.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Be mindful that the model 2s will blow a fuse if you look at them wrong. If it suddenly acts like it's dead, 99% of the time it's the fuse.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
I about killed myself back in the day to find a new in box sega cd. I had this obsession with finding new in box sega systems. But I finally did, and my genesis system collection was complete, I had a new in box genesis 2, NIB 32x and a mint boxed power base converter modded to fit in the genny 2. When this entire thing is together it's a sight to behold, the power base converter even fits into the 32x.

But since I got the Sega CD2 around 2001, I haven't hardly touched it, after beating popful mail and robo aleste, i dehooked it from my genny 2 and put it back in the box to save AV Rack space.

I might pull it out again someday, but I was never into the RPGs on it, so I guess there wasn't really a killer app for the system (since IMO it was Lunar).

Ironically i've played master system games thru my powerbase converter more than i've ever played the sega cd games. But sewer shark still owns to this day.

Last edited:

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Im actually looking to buy a cdx at the moment. Bought a bunch of nice s cd games recently.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
wizkid007 said:
Im actually looking to buy a cdx at the moment. Bought a bunch of nice s cd games recently.

CDX is sexy, but I could never find a system that wasn't beat to shit. Which amazes me because the thing was like 399 when it came out, and I never saw it on clearance. I think those all in one genny systems are overrated, since a genny 2 and cd combo is so damned cheap.

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
DurandalThoth said:
CDX is sexy, but I could never find a system that wasn't beat to shit. Which amazes me because the thing was like 399 when it came out, and I never saw it on clearance. I think those all in one genny systems are overrated, since a genny 2 and cd combo is so damned cheap.

Yeah, CDX is great. I think there was a forum member selling it on ebay for $65. It was gone in a second.

What do you think of JVC X Eye? I have one and I am very happy with it.

Are you planning to pick up some games for your Sega CD?

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
kitkit.com said:
Yeah, CDX is great. I think there was a forum member selling it on ebay for $65. It was gone in a second.

What do you think of JVC X Eye? I have one and I am very happy with it.

Are you planning to pick up some games for your Sega CD?

I have no plans to ever buy sega cd stuff again, I got 12 sealed games with my then NIB system, and haven't ever bought anymore.

dark penguin

68k said:
Be mindful that the model 2s will blow a fuse if you look at them wrong. If it suddenly acts like it's dead, 99% of the time it's the fuse.

Yeaaaa...I owned one years ago and actually had pretty good luck with it. Hopefully, this one will follow suit.

dark penguin

Rade said:
Were they new? Because the value village near my house had a bunch of new saturn games (doom, double switch, shit like that) for 4.99.

Of course, asshat slobs were very quick to put those on eBay for 9.99, lol.

No...everything was used, unfortunately. I'm still floored that the Gen/CD combo was in almost new condition. The pawn shops around here often have them, but they're usually beat to shit and definitely more than $20.

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
I snagged a SEGA CD system from a friend's game store. Someone bought the thing years before from another store, it wasn't what they thought, and they couldn't return it since it was opened. They traded it to him for a few dollars in credit, and I got it for $5.00 or so. They hadn't even bothered taking the bags and ties off of the cables, just opened the box, saw it wasn't what they thought, then shelved it when they couldn't return it.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
DurandalThoth said:
I own a CDX and it's in excellent condition to this date. Bought it at a Montgomery Wards on clearance for $100 new in the box when they were still selling full price in most places. Probably one of my best finds from long ago.

dark penguin

I'm playing Lunar right now, actually. I've had this disc since way back when I used to own a CD2 unit during its actual lifespan. Playing Lunar on the original hardware was worth the $20 I paid for unit without a doubt. It's amazing how well this game has held up. I'd say it's my favorite RPG of that era.

I'm also going to pick up Shining Force CD in the near future and a few others. I remember staying up till the late hours of the night to finish Sewer Shark and then being really let down by the ending, but it's probably my favorite FMV-ish game. Hell, maybe I'll pick it up for nostalgia.

DurandalThoth said:
I about killed myself back in the day to find a new in box sega cd. I had this obsession with finding new in box sega systems. But I finally did, and my genesis system collection was complete, I had a new in box genesis 2, NIB 32x and a mint boxed power base converter modded to fit in the genny 2. When this entire thing is together it's a sight to behold, the power base converter even fits into the 32x.

But since I got the Sega CD2 around 2001, I haven't hardly touched it, after beating popful mail and robo aleste, i dehooked it from my genny 2 and put it back in the box to save AV Rack space.

I might pull it out again someday, but I was never into the RPGs on it, so I guess there wasn't really a killer app for the system (since IMO it was Lunar).

Ironically i've played master system games thru my powerbase converter more than i've ever played the sega cd games. But sewer shark still owns to this day.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Man, reading about the sega cd just got me wanting one even more. I own the set down stairs, but its so large and I already have enough consoles upstairs as it is. That is why I want to get the cdx.

Plus I have never played shining force cd. I have owned it for a long time but never got around to playing it. Also got world war 3 in the other day along with popful mail, lunar 2, dune and vay. So I think a cdx purchase is a viable option at the moment.

Dash if you still have that boxed one, id love to buy it if you ever sell it. LMK if you decide too.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
SEGA cds are love.
a few good obscure shooters on the thing.
i don't know the market for games on ebay anymore
but you know. i've gotten most of my games a pretty long time ago.

dark penguin

Hmmmm.

I'm playing mine via RF adaptor right now. I haven't played a console via RF in a while and it looks pretty rough. I coulda sworn these things had at least composite out on the CD unit, but I only see stereo out. And the RF out is from the Genesis. What a patchwork. The dual AC adaptor thing is pretty lame as well...

Regardless...playing Lunar on something other than my PC is the way to go.

Rade K

20 Year Member
I can do a svid mod for you for a song if you want. PM me and we can talk, Dark Penguin.

Anyways, I have a Gen1/Sega CD 1 combo as a primary genesis system and a X'eye for a backup and imports (no need to shave away plastic on those cart ports.

Anyways, what's cool about the X'eye is that it comes with composite video and audio jacks as standard and the picture looks pretty good. I modded it for svideo as well, but the difference isn't that major.

RF is definitely a waste of time though.

DP, you could probably even mod your genesis on your own - its damn easy and cheap.

Last edited:

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Rade said:
Anyways, I have a Gen1/Sega CD 1 combo as a primary genesis system and a X'eye for a backup and imports (no need to shave away plastic on those cart ports.

Or you could just use a game genie between the cart and the system. ;)

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
DurandalThoth said:

someone never played snatcher :oh_no:

Rade K

20 Year Member
Yup, until Snatcher gets ported somewhere else, it is the one true killer app for the CD.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Rade said:
Yup, until Snatcher gets ported somewhere else, it is the one true killer app for the CD.
to be honest i'd never played the CD system at all. then i bought a modded box and it had a CD emulator. then one day out of boredom i decided to play some games on it. found lunar, found some other games. and saw snatcher. i gave it a shot. my god is that game amazing. like every bit of it just oozes blade runner as it should be in a game form. very rarely does it happen that a game just leaps up my list of best games but snatcher really found a place up there on my list of awesome games. i'd love to see it on the DS.