so... what do you do?

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
I am a Corporate Account/Financial Analyst. I have a fair amount of background in technical accounting (FASB pronouncements), 10Q/K financial statement preperation, financial statement analysis and have also picked up a fair amount in writing & coding on Oracle/Citrix financial systems. Also starting to pick up more on the FASB/IASB convergence. I'm still younger at this point, but in 4 years I've managed to touch pretty much every side of financial accounting you can except for day-to-day bookkeeping.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
You working on a masters or did you already have one?

Got my masters in '08. If I don't land a permanent faculty position in the next three years I'm probably going to go back for a doctorate.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Got my masters in '08. If I don't land a permanent faculty position in the next three years I'm probably going to go back for a doctorate.

You get it in English Lit? I'm trying to figure out what to do when I graduate.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Rad. Me too....

Im a freelance Concept artist/Storyboard artist. Worked at many studios over the years but I much prefer working on my own and getting to balance my own life and other interests outside of work. While most of my work has been on video games I have been blessed with some varied opportunities doing toy design, TV (Adult Swim), advertising (echo shoes) and some misc. illustration doing album covers and shirts. All around fun stuff!

You got a website dude? Can you say much about for who or what you are working on now? Feel free to PM me, always good to network with others in our industry!

Yea I much prefer working freelance too, making your own working hours is just too nice. I got to work in an office for close to 3 years, let's just say im not missing it much. The only aspect of the office life im missing is working with other artists that were there and the country I was in.

http://stevensart.com/ Only older stuff though. Last big project I got to work in was Terminator, I still havent played it though, left a few months before it was finished. I can't really talk about the other recent projects I worked on for now. In a few months maybe ;) .
You got one?

I spent 15 minutes explaining to the same rep that we could not use images from goolge for various reasons ranging from copyright issues to 72 dpi web resolution being completely unfit for print. During my entire explanation she looked at me the exact same way my dog looks at me when I'm getting him to do tricks for a treat.

Yea I love that look.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
When I am not in the gym, doing exercises to help me suck my own dick, I am a solicitor.

you could just subcontract that out some girl.
or guy.
your call.

Medical Device Engineer.

+ side of my job is the R&D development

- side is that I've spent 1/3 of the year transferring projects to the Dominican Republic.

I've heard about a lot of jobs going that way because of the engineering base there.
which is interesting to see jobs being outsourced albeit so close by.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
You get it in English Lit? I'm trying to figure out what to do when I graduate.

Yeah. Fun degree. As far as career development goes, demand is higher for people qualified and willing to teach developmental English.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Well, Im torn between Library Science and English. English offers TA and RA programs that pay for like 80% of your tuition, so that's a plus. I've got some time to decide I guess.

neogeogod

Crazed MVS Addict
I run the bottling line at Breckenridge Brewery. I work with alot of machines and get to boss 4 to 5 cry babys around its pretty fun and I love my job 2 years at breck and 10 years total in the industry.
It's fun that being said its not as glamorous as you may think lol

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Marketer.

I recently took a new position at my company in the e-business division though, so I'm doing new things in new areas. Running live online broadcasts and dabbling in e-commerce amongst other things.

Still do marketing though, it's what I enjoy. I'll probably transition back to that division at some point, or move to another company to re-focus on marketing.

I'm in a B2B industry, and I'm much more interested in marketing B2C.

PopeCuervoLime

Avid Neo-Expert
15 Year Member
Law Clerk.

Currently in my last year of law school before the CA Bar Exam in July 2011.

Just got hired at a public entity defense firm. They defend the city and county from civil rights lawsuits. They also dabble in labor and employment stuff.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
major houselhold appliance technician I.E. refrigerators, washers, dryers etc..

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
I'm a heating engineer/plumber and have been in the trade all my working days.
Started off as a mate(donkey) but was interested in the job and got the chance to get fully trained up, took it with both hands and haven't looked back :mr_t:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I wish I was smart enough to know what you are referring to here.

When Socrates was asked "What do you know (since you're a philosopher)," he replied "Nothing worth while." He was a proto wise-ass.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
recently got a job as a Security Guard

it's without a doubt the worst job i've ever had

currently working towards a few more personal training certifications so i can actually get a job in that field (apparently what i have at the moment doesn't mean shit to most places... like it's so hard to teach someone how to squat properly... fucking hell... too many gyms/studios these days are over-complicating the qualifications)

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Employed by a major cellular company. Some tasks involve system performance, rf and optical design, and some product development. Also, running a project training our whole region on various system tools.

I'm currently doing enterprise-level IT consulting, project management, and systems engineering.

After working in the large corporate culture for about 15 years, I moved to this role in a very small company about 2 years ago. Now I work with clients ranging from Fortune 500 to small K-12 schools, and everything in between. It's drama free and really fun.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I'm still in the USAF, working in IT.. paygrade E-6. Been in for 12 years.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Is it the work itself, the downtime, the pay?

the pay, the company, and the scheduling

the downtime i actually like depending on where i am

everything else is pretty awful

the company especially

they've been around for almost 20 years and are an unorganized mess

the first week alone they gave me at least five solid reasons to hate them and every new person i meet almost immediately starts ranting about how much they hate them as well but put up with it because they have to

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'm surprised how many trade skill people we have here. It's good to see we have a well rounded group from multiple talent trees.