so... what do you do?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I am a systems administrator / Engineer for Hotels. I like it but I am thinking of going into something different. Something not IT related.

Didn't you used to do design? And Accounting. That is rather impressive to be able to do all of those things.

Attorney and adjunct professor of law. The latter is part time in the Spring, I enjoy it a lot. I'm currently developing a patent (though I've never been a patent lawyer) to develop my own company and I'm considering giving in to a lawyer who keeps calling me to help on a tort trial. I might just do so to give it a whirl.

With your time in medical devices, you should get in on the Depuy suits.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Ohh, and on fort mac....

I always wanted to get a visa and work as a roughneck up there for 3-5 years.

The plan was to live like a spartan. Just pay enough to cover basic food/lodging (which I understand is overpriced). Save everything else...

Then when you get done, you should have enough to move back to civilization and invest or start a biz.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Garbage man. It's hard work, but pays well enough.

Also part time strength and conditioning coach for a local high school football team.

skotgun

Geese's Limo Driver
Ohh, and on fort mac....

I always wanted to get a visa and work as a roughneck up there for 3-5 years.

The plan was to live like a spartan. Just pay enough to cover basic food/lodging (which I understand is overpriced). Save everything else...

Then when you get done, you should have enough to move back to civilization and invest or start a biz.

one of my friends is a mechanic, went up there for a year or two. after his interview, the man just told him to write down how much he wanted to make.
even fast food places start around 15 an hour.
cost of living is double what it should be though, and generally what you get is shit for what you pay.
even if you're making 200 a year, expect to live with roommates in a shitty house.
if you could stick it out for 5 years though, you would still have a SHITLOAD of money at the end of it.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
My background is in finance. after being unemployed for more than a year, I recently starting working for a small asset management firm as Senior Data Analyst in the Portfolio Metrics Group.

It's basically doing all performance reporting for separately managed accounts (which are like mutual funds). Also leading some projects to explore new software and improving/automating some of our reporting functions.

It's fun stuff (and no, I'm not being cheeky)

Igniz v2

whinny little kid, why r teens so angry, needs sec

In fort mcmurray they do.. It's an oil town in northern alberta that's miserable to live in but lucrative if you can stick it out

As for what I do, I wash dishes at a greek restaurant here and go to first year community college.. Kinda wanna get a 2nd job stocking shelves or something. The restaurant is a cool family owned place with owners and rules that are relaxed even by kitchen standards.. I'm surprised they even pay me 11/hr for the amount of effort I put in.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yeah, I heard that during the oil boom, McDonalds franchises were paying something like 22 an hour, all the hours you want.

Supply and Demand.

Lots of Demand for labor, little supply.

And lots of supply of money.

Being that the miserable workers are making tons of money, and have nothing to spend it on.

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
Thankfully, I'm getting back into substitute teaching after a long layoff as soon as next week and I also hope to make some $$$ and/or gain experience on the side working with middle and high school bands in the near future.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
-Union Electrician. Luckily, I pretty much do foreman work anymore which means less physical labor and more paperwork/management.

-JATC instructor. I teach 1st and 2nd year apprentices in our trade.