so... what do you do?

skotgun

Geese's Limo Driver
as in occupation/career whatever.

i'm currently in school.
govt is paying for it and giving me money on top of that.
Parts and Materials Technician.
it's a trade related job.
after i finish the course, sometime in feb i think, i'll be certified and it'll be easy to find a place that'll hire me as an apprentice to get my ticket.
it's not something that i think i'll want to do for the rest of my life, but it's a great opportunity, there's alot of demand, and i'm told it's possible to make a SHITLOAD of money doing it (especially living in alberta, since i could go up to fort mac for a while and make 3 times as much as i normally could).
if i had ANY idea of what i actually wanted do do, i would be pursuing that, but at the moment, i have no idea, so i'll do this.

what about you guys?

darcotrigger

Zero's Tailor
Fuck dude, avoid Fort Mac. Nothing to do but get pissed and rail lines, unless you wanna screw around with some clap-trap gold-digger bitch. Not only that but it just gets cold as absolute fuck in the winter.

Sort of curious how you got that funding though.

skotgun

Geese's Limo Driver
Fuck dude, avoid Fort Mac. Nothing to do but get pissed and rail lines, unless you wanna screw around with some clap-trap gold-digger bitch. Not only that but it just gets cold as absolute fuck in the winter.

Sort of curious how you got that funding though.

yeah i hear it's ass, but i could handle it for a year, make alot, then find a job somewhere else cause i'm sick of deadmonton.
and i like it cold.

actually i got the money damn easy.
was looking for a job online, saw an ad on kijiji of all places for the program at this place called McBride (you're in edmonton right? it's on jasper and 111), and i met all the requirements.
emailed back, went and had an interview with the guy in charge of the program, did a simple test to show that i could still do basic math, then talked to the funding guy.
McBride gets student grant money from the govt to train people for jobs in high demand.
NAIT has the same course, but not everyone can pay for it or meet their requirements, so this is for people who are willing and able to do it, but can't get into NAIT.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I am a systems administrator / Engineer for Hotels. I like it but I am thinking of going into something different. Something not IT related.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Pretty much exclusively R&D. My job is to play with shit and figure out how to make my company's development process work better as an end result. It's empowering on one end, because it is so open-ended and nearly everything I present to upper-management has that, "wow-cool," factor. It's also maddening because there is no real direction and it is easy to burn out when there is no real work task other than, "make shit work better."

10 years ago I wouldn't have thought I'd be at the same company, but my job has morphed so much that it isn't really me sticking around just cause it is comfy... Really, I doubt I'd have even a fraction of this freedom or creative liberties anywhere else. The end goal is to move into an architect spot... It's a lot of work for a flashy title, but eventually that's where I'd like to be.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Going by title, I'm a vault cashier for a local gaming company. But I'm also part receptionist and dispatcher.

I'm also in school for pastry arts, hoping to turn my second favorite hobby into a job at some point. It still lets me be creative without killing my passion for the arts.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
what kind of shit?

Well, that changes. I know that sounds non-committal, but I talk to other companies, evaluate software, evaluate hardware, buy new equipment, learn new development languages/scripting languages/software and bring it into our development infrastructure. Automate, virtualize, role out new servers and processes, etc, etc, etc. Really, it's completely open-ended what I'll be working on in any given day. I'm basically a development toolbox... They just want me to do cool things and make the process work better.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
well. i have worked in restaurants since i was in highschool. i quit for a while and went into HVAC and worked on air conditioners for about a year til i realized that it sucks, and i hate it. so then i went and worked in a garage for another 6 months. then i realized you don't make shit working on cars unless you're an engineer. being too lazy and bad at math to go back to school. i went back to the restaurant. and i've been at that ever since. in my last job i was a supervisor during breakfast, and cashier/trainer during lunch. but in my latest one which i start soon i'm going to be head chef. now i'm not a trained chef, never gone to school for it. but based on my experience its what they want me to do. and i'm not gonna argue.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I usually just tell people i'm a "Scientist"
Field Scientist for Genetic Analysis or Next Gen Sequencing.

depends on who I am talking to at the time.

skotgun

Geese's Limo Driver
currently: unpaid playtester for Fallout New Vegas.

oh come on.
i don't recall you ever posting a pic in the years that i've been here, then you go and show up on video.
i think you can give a more serious reponse.

nruva: that actually sounds pretty awesome. something new every day.

kim: never thought about going to school for it? one of my best friends is an amazing chef, never had any training, but he's planning to cause he knows he might need it in the future.

Last edited:

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
I push polygons and paint pixels all day long. I'm a freelance video game character artist.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
state bureaucrat,
mostly boring stuff like report writing for the most complex database I've ever seen.
I'm hoping to pick up java and move off to a programmer position after I've been here
for a little while.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
kim: never thought about going to school for it? one of my best friends is an amazing chef, never had any training, but he's planning to cause he knows he might need it in the future.

don't get me wrong i've thought of it, i know loads of cooking techniques and methods and can cook pretty much anything you throw my way with a recipe, or barring that a general idea of what the dish is. its more i couldn't ever afford to go to school for it. though now that i'm in a country where school is free for citizens. once i get citizenship and move up from "resident immigrant" status i could go and knock that out and have it on my resume.

skotgun

Geese's Limo Driver
don't get me wrong i've thought of it, i know loads of cooking techniques and methods and can cook pretty much anything you throw my way with a recipe, or barring that a general idea of what the dish is. its more i couldn't ever afford to go to school for it. though now that i'm in a country where school is free for citizens. once i get citizenship and move up from "resident immigrant" status i could go and knock that out and have it on my resume.

was gonna say "i got free money for school with no problem, you should check into it" but it looks like you got that covered already.
and even minor cerification that you can put on a resume will put you WAY ahead of alot of people.
i got my Food Safe for free while i was volunteering at a community kitchen, and if i ever applied to be a cook again, that sure would help alot.
i also got my ProServe while working at a bar, and then later i didn't have to get it when i became a manager at a liquor store.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Auditor/logistics of alcohol (clubs, bars...etc.).

Minority owner/GM assistant of a strip club. I didn't really plan on this, but the old owner had a slight case of death and I had former ties with the co-owner.

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
I also am a student and get financial aid from gov't with enough left over to pay my rent.

1 more year of this shit, then i'll be gunning for a web design job of some sorts.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Full time retail employee, full time student in college going for a BA in Graphic Design or Fine Art (photography). I'm still kinda undecided, but actually leaning toward photography. The GD program at my university sucks.

Daedalus

If there's a Bandwagon. I'm on it!
I recently left a interesting job for Industrial Environmental Cleanup, I ran the second largest division for the largest company on the east coast. Very interesting work as it was always something new, VERY good pay....took over my life. Got married, bought a bunch of land and a nice house, and now work retail almost no pay, no stress, and I have a life.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I'm a mail clerk for a top-five national insurance company. I've been with the company since I graduated from high school. I handle the routing of all letter mail coming into the company. I like what I do; it's nice having a job that you don't begrudgely wake up to everyday.