Some Everdrive Questions

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Hey folks, long time no post. I was seeing if I could get some advice from the folks on here about some of the other Everdrives that Kirkzz has on his site.

Last year I got in on his Black Friday sale and got the NES and SNES ones and really enjoy them. Yeah, not all of the games play 100% but with the prices skyrocketing on some games it pays for itself with some games costing more then the unit itself.

This year I was thinking of getting the T-16 and Genesis ones but I had a few questions.

With the T-16 one, what are the differences between the v2 and the original? Sadly the v2's sold out and he's only got the originals left. I looked on Stone Age Gamer and they have original V.1's at the same price but holy balls, 40 dollars to put a clear case on it to protect it? I know most of the add-on's they have on that site are mostly cosmetic, but is that even worth it to prolong the life of it? I doubt I'd be taking it out of my system or using it in my Turbo Express.

With the Genesis ones, he's got the Mega EverDrive v2 at 143 and the EverDrive-MD v3 at 79 bucks. What's the differences between the two? Does the more expensive one do 32X games and the cheaper one doesn't? (Doesn't really matter to me because I don't plan on getting a 32X and having to use those metal prongs inside my system.)

Also, it says it supports Sega Master System games. How does that work? Will they load up like a normal game even without the Power Base Converter? I thought somebody said in a video all the stuff to run the games where already on the Genesis hardware, but I might be wrong. That'd be awesome if I didn't need my Power Base Converter anymore, I could sell off some of my Master System stuff I don't need anymore.

Also, hows the compatibility between both systems? The Genesis one says it works with 99% of the library which I'm guessing the 1% is Virtua Racing since it lacks the SVP chip but I've had that one since I was a kid so I'm still good on that.

Thanks for the help folks! Looking forward to trying these out!

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
I went with the more expensive Mega Everdrive for Genesis, and I'm very happy with it. I don't remember the exact differences, but I know the Mega has an in-game menu for returning to the game selection screen and activating cheats/save states which is AWESOME. Worth the upgrade IMO.

I'm looking at a Turbo Everdrive and it looks like he cancelled the V2 because of incompatibility with a TON of systems, V3 should be out at some point soon and will be the one you're gonna wanna get. As far as $40 for a piece of plastic covering it, that's your call. I honestly haven't decided what I want to do about that yet but it looks like it could protect it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I only have the V1 Turbo Everdrive, so I dunno what the differences is on the V2. Bug fixes, maybe? The V1 did have some issues with modded systems.

I have had both Genesis Everdrives though. The main difference between the two is the type of ram they used, the Mega Everdrive (the expensive one) is a LOT faster to load games. It takes seconds, while the original took several minutes to load some of the larger games. It doesn't seem like a big deal before you get it, but it is. The Mega has a few other added features too, such as being able play other regions Sega CD games by loading the appropriate region's bios file. I think it does a couple of other things that I'm forgetting as well, but those were the two big reasons to upgrade to me. Both have the same compatibility with games, and you are right Virtua Racing is the only not compatible game as far as I know. Both can play 32x games if you have a 32x.

SMS compatibility works on both, and it's awesome. Basically, most Genesis units can run SMS games with an appropriate adapter, the Everdrive lets you load the roms directly. I think there are some systems it won't work on, like it will work connected directly to a Genesis but will not work through a 32x.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Mega Everdrive loads roms almost instantly too.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
The TG-16 Everdrive The V2 has 4MB of RAM instead of Flash (faster loading or Roms), supports Populous battery sram, and the USB was moved to make it work on a SuperGrafx (not terribly useful unless you like to homebrew).

Mega EverDrive does EVERYTHING.
I think both will play 32x games (obviously in a proper 32x). I have a Mega ED, and it does.
Mega ED has the widest support for games. I think the only game that doesn't work is a Wonder Boy in Monster World title, but I believe there is a patch for it.

Here's a thread on Assembler Games about the everdrive MD's support:
http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/md-everdrive-official-game-doesnt-work-thread.31103/

SMS games run without the adapter, but you must reset the console to save the save files to the SD card when you're done.

My Mega EverDrive even works on my Nomad after I modded it for SMS support and wired a physical reset button to keep SMS saves.

I have a Turbo Everdrive, and I think it's a v2, and it works just fine on my RGB modded PC Engine CoreGrafx2 and Super CD-Rom2

Also, don't pay $40 for a cover, get this:
http://www.shapeways.com/product/ZJFJHFXZK/?li=shortUrl&key=a6adf254ca9a748a4636254bbeb46a6f

3d printing FTW

Last edited:

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
With the Genesis ones, he's got the Mega EverDrive v2 at 143 and the EverDrive-MD v3 at 79 bucks. What's the differences between the two? Does the more expensive one do 32X games and the cheaper one doesn't? (Doesn't really matter to me because I don't plan on getting a 32X and having to use those metal prongs inside my system.)

Also, it says it supports Sega Master System games. How does that work? Will they load up like a normal game even without the Power Base Converter? I thought somebody said in a video all the stuff to run the games where already on the Genesis hardware, but I might be wrong. That'd be awesome if I didn't need my Power Base Converter anymore, I could sell off some of my Master System stuff I don't need anymore.

To play 32X games you need to physically have the 32X hardware. Then you can insert the Everdrive into the 32X and load the roms.
Master System stuff in general works fine. Some games have control problems - either stupid button mapping to the Mega Drive pad or ones that are unresponsive altogether (e.g. Montezuma's Revenge). In general, this can be rectified by plugging in a standard Master System control pad.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I got the TED v.2 from a pcenginefx group buy a few months back to use exclusively with my Turbo Express and can vouch for it working perfectly on a heavily modded unit, although I've read from others over there that some had issues with units that have the region free mod chip. DNSDies has all the tech differences, and yes, the 40$ cover is crazy; you can easily get a 3D printed cover for 10-ish from members there.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Thanks for the quick replies gentlemen. I'll be going the gusto and getting the more expensive Mega Everdrive for the faster loading and waiting on whenever the V3 of the Turbo one drops. Now I gotta look into getting both systems fixed up and modded. I wanted to get an AV mod for my T16 and my pins inside my Genny have been fucking up. For some reason it likes to play certain games and I'm not comfortable bending them back into shape, not sure if there was any other mods for a Model 1 Genny out there.

Also, I think somebody on here had it, but there's something you can put onto the end of the T16 that pluggs into the connectors that'll make it play on AV without having to mod it? I'm certain I saw it on here but it had to be over a year ago. I really wanna bump it up from that awful RF signal. It looks like ass on my flatscreen but I won't complain because I got the thing for FIVE DOLLARS...

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I have the v2.3 Turbo Everdrive and it's worth the wait. The old 3D printed TED V1 shells will not fit any of the V2s though without some dremeling.

If you want 100% working roms for your Everdrives, I released some full SD card setup packs:
Turbo Everdrive
Mega Everdrive/Everdrive-MD
Super Everdrive/SD2SNES

The TED is particularly picky about rom headers, so this pack will save a major headache testing and compiling your game collection.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The TED is particularly picky about rom headers, so this pack will save a major headache testing and compiling your game collection.

LISTEN TO THIS MAN! You'll drive yourself nuts trying to find working roms randomly on the internet. It's not just the Everdrive, my old Neoflash cart was like that too. For any of the Everdrives just download a full ED set and prune the roms if desired.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I have the v2.3 Turbo Everdrive and it's worth the wait. The old 3D printed TED V1 shells will not fit any of the V2s though without some dremeling.

If you want 100% working roms for your Everdrives, I released some full SD card setup packs:
Turbo Everdrive
Mega Everdrive/Everdrive-MD
Super Everdrive/SD2SNES

Thanks again Smoke. I'm SLOWLY downloading the first part of the Genesis stuff since I'm not a member. Is the updated link you put in the comments section two months ago in the Turbo one the most up to date one?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Ninjainspandex also has a very good collection of packs for various everdrives; I use them on mine. Not sure of the TED and how up to date it is, but I'm sure someone has experience with them.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
most non working roms can be fixed by just removing the header. I still don't see the point of loading the SD card with every rom in existence. Enjoy your menu browsing. If there was a search feature it would make more sense.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I usually make a Favorites folder that has my most commonly played games and dump the rest elsewhere. That way I don't have to reload it if there is a game I don't normally play that I want to try.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
When I first got my NES and SNES one I had it loaded with "everything" and I just made a Favorites folder. What I noticed is the SNES one was missing a couple of Japanese games, like the Sailor Moon puzzle games, I was going to see if it'll work with my old roms I had but I doubt that. Most of em' are just knock offs of other, better games and I own the original carts so I can just put them in and play them whenever, no big deal.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
I didn't see this mentioned, but the Mega Everdrive will also function as a SegaCD backup RAM cart, a nice bonus if you don't want to shell out the the $50 or whatever they go for nowadays. I mainly use mine for CD region swapping, hombrews, translations, and games that are too expensive to buy.