Sport hunting is bullshit.

Battle Creek girl bags 448 lb. black bear on hunting trip

The 17-year-old Harper Creek High School senior has taken up one of nature's oldest, and possibly most dangerous sports, hunting.

In the middle of August, Olmstead and her father, Tim, took a hunting trip up to Oba, Ontario, Canada, where the high school senior shot down a bear more than twice her size.

"When I go out hunting, it's really exciting," Olmstead said. "Whenever I see a bear I just want to go at it. When you're hunting, your heart is racing, your blood is pumping, and you feel that adrenaline rush. I really love to hunt."

Some of you may disagree, but I don't think I'm being hypocritical when I say I vehemently oppose the killing of a black bear, but understand and support official population control of wild Deer.

What makes someone such a bad ass for killing a big freaking bear living in the forest? Was that bear going to overpopulate and creep onto the highways causing traffic accidents? Was it going to deplete this years corn and soybean harvest? No, you're just a fucking jackass.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
yeah sport hunting is pretty lame. If they wanna even up the odds they should sport hunt with a knife or a sword.

I'm not opposed to hunting because I like to eat and I don't care for hormone pumped animals from the grocery store. Hunting for sport is just a waste of life. When I was Living in Montana my next door neighbor's wall was covered from top to bottom with heads of a bajillion animals he had killed and it just seemed like such a waste.

600full.jpg

Sounds like your issue isn't with the hunt, but with the game.

You have a point. I don't cheer at the slaughter of any animal, but I am a meat eater. It's just awfully egregious to kill animals for no other purpose than for trophy. It serves humanity in no way shape or form. After reading that story all I could think of was the scene in Ghost Dog where GD shoots those two hillbillies for killing a black bear.

Last edited:

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
im a hunter, and personally i only kill things that i eat. The only reason i would kill a bear or a mountain lion or something of that nature would be if it was going to kill me.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Battle Creek girl bags 448 lb. black bear on hunting trip

Some of you may disagree, but I don't think I'm being hypocritical when I say I vehemently oppose the killing of a black bear, but understand and support official population control of wild Deer.

What makes someone such a bad ass for killing a big freaking bear living in the forest? Was that bear going to overpopulate and creep onto the highways causing traffic accidents? Was it going to deplete this years corn and soybean harvest? No, you're just a fucking jackass.

with the overproduction of cattle I feel like hunting is unnecessary. But then I am not fond of eating meat simply because of the overproduction of cattle farming. The number of cows raised for slaughter on a daily basis is insane.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
The nice thing about wild hogs in Florida is they are a nuissance foreign animal and you can hunt them year round. Excellent meat.

PS. As long as they ate the bear, I could give two shits.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I personally would never sport hunt with anything more than a bow and arrow. I just wouldn't find any enjoyment with a firearm.

That said, I couldn't give two shits about what people do and don't hunt.

aria

Former Moderator
Gary Larson already won this thread, decades ago:

FarSideBear.gif

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Can't stand it either, even as a kid something about it bothered me, although I wasn't intelligent enough at the time to put into words why.

Now, going all Zangief and wrestling bears, that's a whole different story. Would love to wrestle a bear, preferably in the buff, and then after we're both worn out I'd gain the bear's respect and he'd let me ride on his back.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
If you eat the bear -- the entire bear -- then it's OK by me.

But seriously, I agree; it's bullshit. As is fishing. I love how most people don't even know that a lot of ponds are filled with fish (by humans) just to be caught. Wow, lots of skill required there.

Shooting guns can be cool though. But maybe people should shoot empty cans. Or cardboard cutouts of bears. Or vat-grown bears.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I don't really give a shit though I can definitely sympathize with the "there is no point" crowd w/ regard to sport hunting.

If I was going to hunt I'd only hunt something that I would eat. I have no desire to bag a record breaking animal. Hunting for population control is cool though, plus deer tastes awesome :emb:

When I fish, I eat the fish.

But whatever, as long as we aren't decimating these populations then let people shoot the animals.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
i'm with you bro.

i really just have no desire to kill animals, even the annoying human variety.

but if someone gets a thrill out of it, for whatever reason, and actually makes use of the kill in a reasonable manner, then that's ok i guess (excluding humans).

astar617

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Now, going all Zangief and wrestling bears, that's a whole different story. Would love to wrestle a bear, preferably in the buff, and then after we're both worn out I'd gain the bear's respect and he'd let me ride on his back.
You didn't specify a breed. Not a Provincetown Bear, I hope... :D

astar617

B. Jenet's Firstmate
i'm with you bro.

but if someone gets a thrill out of it, for whatever reason, and actually makes use of the kill in a reasonable manner, then that's ok i guess (excluding humans).
I guess that explains your sig (Snooki's a Smurf, not a human). lol.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
i'm with you bro.

Zombies are fair game though, I believe there is no daily limit and the season is 365 days a year.

You can even use night vision, spot lights, and electronic calls in addition to shooting them while trapped.

Let's just hope Zombie Season never actually opens.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
You non-hunters are a bunch of limp-wristed, slack-jawed, mouth-breathing pussy-wimps. There's nothing like dressing up in loud orange colors, bringing your sack of trail-mix, and shooting animals that can't shoot back. You are all obvious city-slickers. Merc would disapprove of the responses in this thread. (Does he even hunt?). Your man licenses are revoked. Go put on a dress.

Canada, where the high school senior shot down a bear more than twice her size.

This made me chuckle. Was she a thicky-thick?

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
But seriously, I agree; it's bullshit. As is fishing. I love how most people don't even know that a lot of ponds are filled with fish (by humans) just to be caught. Wow, lots of skill required there.

I've been around fishing my entire life and I can't say I've ever met a single person who fished and just wasted the fish. Everyone I've ever met either ate them or threw them back (alive). So, I don't see where the harm is.

OT: Hunt to eat, not to decorate your den.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Those sycophantic comments on the page are even worse.
A lot of asskising schlubbs looking to get pooned by a gun toting teenager.

I have no objections to hunting for meat, but a strong objection to poaching for trophies and other bullshit (like chinese medicine lol).

Face it, eating a 700$ bowl of tiger cocks won't make your wang any bigger or smaller than it already is. :crying:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
In Illinois there was a massive invasion of carp in the rivers. These carp would jump out of the water due to the vibrations made by motor boats. It became a sport to skeet shoot the carps jumping out of the water. These carp, however, were huge and were known to jump at people and injure them.

To me that seems like a sport. Shooting a bear from a hundred yards away that didn't even see you seems pointless.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Can't stand it either, even as a kid something about it bothered me, although I wasn't intelligent enough at the time to put into words why.

bear.jpg

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
600full.jpg

Sounds like your issue isn't with the hunt, but with the game.

I agree with this. Hunting for food/survival is one thing. The taking down a great animal from a distance away for sport is a huge joke.

"When I go out hunting, it's really exciting," Olmstead said. "Whenever I see a bear I just want to go at it. When you're hunting, your heart is racing, your blood is pumping, and you feel that adrenaline rush. I really love to hunt."

Unless she drug the bear out into population and straight to the butcher's herself, this was a waste. Want a sport? Try competitive target shooting. Now if she went toe to toe with the bear in hand to hand combat...

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
yeah sport hunting is pretty lame. If they wanna even up the odds they should sport hunt with a knife or a sword.

I'm not opposed to hunting because I like to eat and I don't care for hormone pumped animals from the grocery store. Hunting for sport is just a waste of life. When I was Living in Montana my next door neighbor's wall was covered from top to bottom with heads of a bajillion animals he had killed and it just seemed like such a waste.

I totally agree. Sport hunting should be banned. The black bear is such a beautiful animal, and to kill it for sport is just a waste. I wanna see that little bitch kill that bear on his level. Fuckin Savages.

Do it up like Anthony Hopkins did in THE EDGE. Then and only then, I'll give you the props and respect you deserve.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It's one of those things that doesnt belong in society anymore, yet we tolerate it.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I hate this to. Hunting to survive is legit. Hunting to just kill animals for trophy purposes is zero respect for life. Its funny, because I like to eat meat, yet its a double standard, because I could never feel comfortable shooting the killing shot.