Square Enix to File For Bankruptcy? Earnings Down 91%, Final Fantasy XIV to Blame

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Their "earnings" are their net profit. They're still making a profit. In other words, they're not losing money. They have paid all their workers and bills, etc. They're still profitable for the year. That's really not too bad. The 91% thing is just a good headline to grab attention.

They aren't looking at a year without profits. It's not as if 100% of game sales happen within the first 10 or 12 months of release. They're still making money off of XIII, the KH games, DQIX, and any Eidos or Taito games, as well as any Taito game centers, licesned merch (which includes non-Square-Enix franchises), and their retail store.

Well, and the 91% down is the their estimated profits for NEXT year. As in hasn't happened yet.

Robert

20 Year Member
I don't think such a company will pass away, even if FF XIV didn't fulfill all its commitments. I bought DQIX like everybody, and I'm quite sure Square Enix has solid basis to undergo a game failure

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
There goes that argument.

Think like Amano, motherfucker.

BatmanandSupermanDCDIRECTpostersdra.jpg

Mithos

Zero's Tailor
Besides the Dragon Quest remakes and the old Final Fantasy remakes they've been releasing, I think the last game from them I really enjoyed was Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced A-2. Even that was kinda boring compared to the last entry.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
Interesting this motif he has of painting guys standing on poles. Batman looks like a goon standing on his tippy-toes like that.

Don't forget that fabulous Bat-ass.

Yoshitaka Amano has been doing the art for Final Fantasy since Final Fantasy (the first one), so we can shoot that "damm prettyboys" theory in the head. The series has always been gay, you just never noticed (or you pretended not to...)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Don't forget that fabulous Bat-ass.

Yoshitaka Amano has been doing the art for Final Fantasy since Final Fantasy (the first one), so we can shoot that "damm prettyboys" theory in the head. The series has always been gay, you just never noticed (or you pretended not to...)

Who are you talking to?

I'm the one who shot down the theory before you even posted. Thanks for contributing.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
FF needs to go back to its roots in an awful way.
I mean...could we even ponder the possibility of them making a completely fantastic looking, 2D FF title in this time? Distributed entirely digitally, of course, to help keep costs down. This way it could also be realized on every platform.

I dunno. I mean, it's still a very valuable IP...but it's really on the verge of being completely irrelevant. If folks around here, with their interest in all things classic gaming, are this jaded about it, that speaks volumes. Then again, this joint is the equivalent of the Muppet Show balcony with Statler and Waldorf.

skotgun

Geese's Limo Driver
i used to own everything Squaresoft ever put out in north america.
even the huge shit like driving emotion type s, cause yes, i was a huge fanboy.
and i always said (after FFX-2 came out), that if square was going to continue this new worrying possibility of churning out shitty sequels instead of making new games like they used to, and start making sequels to FFVII to cash in, i would never buy another one of their games.
and then they did.
now i currently do not own a single Squaresoft game.
this news doesn't exactly surprise me.

Grandmaster

Kula's Candy
i used to own everything Squaresoft ever put out in north america.
even the huge shit like driving emotion type s, cause yes, i was a huge fanboy.
and i always said (after FFX-2 came out), that if square was going to continue this new worrying possibility of churning out shitty sequels instead of making new games like they used to, and start making sequels to FFVII to cash in, i would never buy another one of their games.
and then they did.
now i currently do not own a single Squaresoft game.
this news doesn't exactly surprise me.

i agree. before final fantasy x-2 came out, i was optimistic. after it was released, i saw square going down hill. the only game i liked after FFX was Front Mission 4 and then they go and keep FM5 in japan.

since then i've been disappointed in how they've handled their games. nothings really grabbed my interest.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
That's really not too bad. The 91% thing is just a good headline to grab attention.

You're oversimplifying. There's far more at stake than pure profit. A 91% drop in profits is going to absolutely kill their stock value, and you can bet your ass it will spell doom for any number of potential/WIP projects, not to mention, more than a handful of jobs associated with them. It's not quite catastrophe, but it's damned close.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
No one here likes FF12? I thought that game was amazing, maybe my favorite JRPG ever (because it is so unlike every other JRPG).

FF13 is not bad, but not great.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Sounds like they're going to HAVE to finally bust what people have been after for years...a high-def remake of FFVII.

Mithos

Zero's Tailor
No one here likes FF12? I thought that game was amazing, maybe my favorite JRPG ever (because it is so unlike every other JRPG).

I thought 12 was alright. It didn't feel like it had a story and I honestly don't remember half the characters, but it was decent for the most part. I hated 13 though.

I think as soon as Dirge of Cerberus came out I knew things were going downhill fast.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member

I loved XII since it was almost like an offline XI, which I also loved.

WeinerDogSunglasses

Ghost of Captain Kidd
15 Year Member
I guess now we all understand that when a company openly throws in the towel and says "we're not going to put any energy into making new IPs, we're just going to focus on sequels" that the public doesn't respect that.

Oh and when they make shitty games like XI and XIV, it doesn't help.

Grandmaster

Kula's Candy

actually yes i did enjoy FFXII. never completed the game, but it was highly addictive for a time. i didnt play it until a year or two after it's inital release though because i had been soured by square's ugly character designs like vaan.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
The last FF game I gave a shit about was 9, I loved that game.
X = gay
X-2 = :oh_no:
XI = online gay, never played it
XII = never played it
XIII = steaming pile of gay shit, quit after 10 ten hours. worse than VIII.
and don't get me started on all that spin-off bullshit they released.

The series needs to die or comeback as something different (read: better).

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Sadly he was the best character in that stupid fucking game.