Square Enix to File For Bankruptcy? Earnings Down 91%, Final Fantasy XIV to Blame

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Does nobody care about a FF6 3D remake?
FF5 and 7 are fine too.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Well I guess it's time to reinvent themselves and create the next big trend in RPGs

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Square Enix has been dead to me ever since they made Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced.

Agreed, I played 10 minutes of it and was so pissed off that they "kiddiefied" it that I haven't bought anything from Square Enix since.

bemanicho1

Ninja Combat Warrior
As much as I don't like what Square's done to the Final Fantasty series as of late, they do have a ton of old classic games/series that they can dig into to make new, 3-d remakes. Imagine, fully 3-d remakes of the Seiken Densetsu series, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 4-7, Xenogears, Romancing SaGa 2 and 3, the SaGa Frontier games, Actraiser, Soulblazer/Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma... My opinion of them would go up a lot if they managed to give those games the Romancing SaGa:Minstrel Song treatment.

Marek

Banned
Sounds like they're going to HAVE to finally bust what people have been after for years...a high-def remake of FFVII.

+1 Good

That would be fantastic. I'm sure they'll change the script, add voiceacting and a bunch of other trash.

Myabe theyll let you skip summon animation.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Does nobody care about a FF6 3D remake?
FF5 and 7 are fine too.

That's only rumored and I'd rather get a real console release with a revisiting of the FF6 universe instead of a remake.

But honestly a remake would be enough to make me shit myself and waste my money on a 3ds.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Now that they've done dudes that look like chicks and worn it out to hell and back it's time for chicks that look like dudes. Get ready for the main characters to start looking like Chyna :lolz:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
You're oversimplifying. There's far more at stake than pure profit. A 91% drop in profits is going to absolutely kill their stock value, and you can bet your ass it will spell doom for any number of potential/WIP projects, not to mention, more than a handful of jobs associated with them. It's not quite
catastrophe, but it's damned close.

This was exactly what I thought of when I saw the announcement.

PS3 version of XIV delayed? To never, since the number is tarnished now, perhaps irrevocably? It wou;d be really for them to restore any luster to that title. It's probably among the worst received MMOs of all time. It's not like it got decent reviews but people couldn't pull themselves away from WoW. It was truly awful, an inexcusable launch.

Definitely bad news for S-E.

Geralds

Kula's Candy
This was exactly what I thought of when I saw the announcement.

PS3 version of XIV delayed? To never, since the number is tarnished now, perhaps irrevocably? It wou;d be really for them to restore any luster to that title. It's probably among the worst received MMOs of all time. It's not like it got decent reviews but people couldn't pull themselves away from WoW. It was truly awful, an inexcusable launch.

Definitely bad news for S-E.

Lol vangard onlien did pretty badly atrease as well. Same concept rushed the game befor it was complete. Sigil is now defunct becosue of the game.

aria

Former Moderator
I don't remember talking about a game company's stock market when I was a kid.

Most weren't publicly traded in those days, especially in such a way that they were relevant to the average U.S. investor in the 1980s (the Big N is on the Japanese stock market). The software makers started to become big corporations in the late-90s.

FF needs to go back to its roots in an awful way.

I would love to play a game just like the original FF. I have the remake on my GBA, and they should go back to it. Grinding with the ability to save anywhere = bliss.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I've all but given up hope of seeing a sequel to Vagrant Story.

Reality Check

World Hero
I'm feeling odd man out. I've enjoyed a couple of Sqaure's recent outings. I love FFX, X-2 and Crisis Core. The World Ends With You is great and I liked FFXII.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Well, you better get it together. There's none of this coming up with your own opinion bullshit. You need to subscribe to the groupthink just like everyone else. Once a certain number of people say something is bad, that's it. There's no going off on your own.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
10153792.jpg

WII53.pre_ff4.gr_01--article_image.jpg

Maybe not the 2D FF everyone is craving for, but certainly a welcome step in the right direction.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
all i can say is its not something we didn't see coming. after the FFXIV fiasco, the regular trying to milk more money out of FFVII, and not putting out stuff that was anywhere near as good as their past greats it only makes sense they'd start losing big money.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
So this is why Deus Ex: Human Revolution was delayed?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Well, you better get it together. There's none of this coming up with your own opinion bullshit. You need to subscribe to the groupthink just like everyone else. Once a certain number of people say something is bad, that's it. There's no going off on your own.

Very true, comrade.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Probably time for square to make a true FF Tactics sequel. The DS games don't count.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Probably time for square to make a true FF Tactics sequel. The DS games don't count.

I'd be all over that, but I thought the guys that made the original FFT and Vagrant Story were gone now? Either way, I liked the Ivalice of those games, but when they brought in the moogles and whatnot they kind of lost me. I liked FFXII anyway, but it wasn't the setting I wanted.

And for the record: FFIX is poo poo, and FFVIII is good stuff. Plus I would totally buy a HD FFVII remake.

I hope they leave VI alone though. That game is a goddamned masterpiece. Mind you, I didn't really like the IV remake for DS all that much... I preferred the original game, or the GBA version.

Anyway. I think that SE going bankrupt is not really gonna happen anytime soon. They still have a ton of really valuable IPs. And here's hoping that they decide to take more risks — I miss PS1 era Square that wasn't afraid to try new things. That was one of the company's most profitable times, too. Now that they just endlessly remake things and come up with 'safe' games, they've become a lot more boring.

One more thing: the thing that really killed them was the FF movie. They sunk a lot of money into that, started new offices, dreamt of becoming a movie studio, etc, only to lose pretty much the whole stake. After that, Square stopped taking any sort of chances, and I think the games really started to suffer.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I'm feeling odd man out. I've enjoyed a couple of Sqaure's recent outings. I love FFX, X-2 and Crisis Core. The World Ends With You is great and I liked FFXII.

Mostly agreed (I didn't like X-2).

The Final Fantasy hate going on reminds me of Apple hate. Just people jumping on the bandwagon with little actual experience. It's almost the mirror image of fanboy-ism. "FFXIII sucks! (But I only played 10% of it)." I've said it in another thread but I'll say it here; X, XII, and XIII are all awesome games. People are saying "you need to go back to your roots!" Well, what about the FFV sequel or the 4 Heroes of Light? Not to mention Crisis Core is one of the most enjoyable PSP games. And people are creaming themselves over 3rd Birthday. But SQUARE ENIX SUCKSSSSS. :scratch:

Also, it's funny that people are saying "FF has sucked since VII." Just a year or two ago, there was a big backlash against VII and a lot of people were saying it sucks in retrospect. I guess that phase is over.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
FFV sequel? Did I miss something..?

Anyway, the consensus seems to be that they're past their heyday... and they are. Kind of hard to argue otherwise if you ask me, even if you like FFX-2, FFXII, etc (and I did).