Stamp Collecting, a proper old man hobby

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Now that I’m over the hill I saw it fit to properly curate the collection of stamps put together in the 50’s by my grandparents. I know nothing about them other than that some of the US stamps are quite old dating back to the 1800s in some cases. I’m not looking to further the collection but rather preserve what’s there and arrange them in a way so they display nice.

There are quite a few from the US which I’ve already gone through and a ton more from around the world I’m still sorting through. I bought a Lighthouse premium stock book to house them in, 64 pages which holds around 3k stamps which should be enough for what I’ve got. If anyone gives a shit I’ll post some of the highlights or countries people are interested in.

Some of the art on them is absolutely amazing, especially when viewed under magnification. My next purchase will be a few nice, large magnifying glasses of various strengths. Anyone else goobing out with a nice stamp album?

Attachments

• 9B725FAF-4DBD-49A8-A56F-20F2D4FCCCAF.jpeg
    9B725FAF-4DBD-49A8-A56F-20F2D4FCCCAF.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 14

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
My grandfather was a stamp collector, I would buy him stamp books here and mail them home a couple times a year. Then he died February 2020 and I can't even look at stamps anymore.

Actually, I was at the Stamp Museum last month so I guess I can look at them.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Damn Sage, I’m sorry for your loss. I was gonna say I haven’t made it to the China section of the collection yet and there’s a bunch but it doesn’t sound like you want to see them.

My grandparents all died decades ago when I was still young and lived out of state so I never established a good relationship with them. Things like this make me appreciate the past and value the time I have with my parents. Looking through all these stamps with them is going to be a good time with a couple drinks on a Sunday.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
stamp collecting died with our grandparents, and so did any value outside a handful of rare stamps.
Could make for an interesting coffee table book.

fake

15 Year Member
I've cut out and collected a few stamps from mail from Europe and Asia, especially if they have animals on them. I have one with a hedgehog from Denmark and one with some weird deer from Japan.

I also just bought my first sheet of stamps not for use.

Untitled%20design%20-%202023-04-24T115018.108.png

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
My parents were briefly into postcard collecting. The unused postcards were the really valuable ones iirc, but the sent ones were always much more interesting. The old stamps on the postcards are a bonus. The problem is you end up with boxes of old postcards which puts you one step away from full blown hoarding.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
got an album from my grandfather that I've been adding to over the years.
and before you ask: yes, i got some hitler stamps too.
You mean like these? And I haven’t gotten to the German stamps yet.

Attachments

• 0E3F3431-82A7-41EF-8C45-74F5F6E6202E.jpeg
    0E3F3431-82A7-41EF-8C45-74F5F6E6202E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9

fake

15 Year Member
My parents were briefly into postcard collecting. The unused postcards were the really valuable ones iirc, but the sent ones were always much more interesting. The old stamps on the postcards are a bonus. The problem is you end up with boxes of old postcards which puts you one step away from full blown hoarding.
My friend has a few very old postcards that are hilarious. One of them is from a mother who is telling her son just how disappointed she is in him.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I bought some comics from someone on a forum a few years ago, and she posted them with a bunch of old stamps. It was pretty cool.
20230829-164527.jpg

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
My friend has a few very old postcards that are hilarious. One of them is from a mother who is telling her son just how disappointed she is in him.
Post a pic. That would make my day.

Jon

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I've cut out and collected a few stamps from mail from Europe and Asia, especially if they have animals on them. I have one with a hedgehog from Denmark and one with some weird deer from Japan.

I also just bought my first sheet of stamps not for use.

Untitled%20design%20-%202023-04-24T115018.108.png
I picked this one up also!

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
You mean like these? And I haven’t gotten to the German stamps yet.
those are from the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia, ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protectorate_of_Bohemia_and_Moravia ) which was part of nazi germany (annexed of course) and now the czech republic, mine are from germany proper in purple and red with a different picture with him facing right. also got some with paul von hindenburg before hitler got made the main man of the state.

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
So is stamp collecting for nazis then? Should I migrate to model train collecting

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
I started collecting old post cards. I liked the style of the early 1900s where, because color film either didn't exist or was in its infancy, they would take a black and white photo and then hire a painter to essentially trace and paint the photo - resulting in a detailed color image that was part photography and part painting. Anyways, I bought like 15 of them before I felt like I had enough. Here's some examples of that art style.

1693400061789.png

1693400278925.png

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
wonder who the architect was for that building
Fritz Ertl (1908 - 1982) was an Austrian architekt who became second-in-command of the Auschwitz site management. He and another architect by the name of Walter Dejaco planned and constructed most of the buildings of Auschwitz II/Birkenau, including the gate house between 1941 and 1944.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
I’ll be getting into the German stamps tonight and will report back my findings. France was last night, stuff was just good, not great.