Super Metroid is the best game on the SNES

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I agree. Played through it recently (as well as Zelda and SMW) and I think it's the best of the three. I think part of it is also that there have been better Zelda and Mario games, but no Metroid game since has been as good.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
SMW is a great game, but it's light entertainment. You play it when you just want to shut your brain off.

Super Metroid is more engaging. Nothing touches the atmosphere of that game.

I was having a hard time picking one over the other, but I read this and I agree. Metroid really draws me in the whole time.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Bullshit lies.

Super Mario World, Suoer Punch Out, Mario Kart, Turtles in Time and Contra 3 are all better games and have better replayability even today.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
i dont see how Super Metroid is that replayable. It's mostly linear progression, with 3 hours of gameplay when you know everything.

Are you serious? With sequence breaking there are multiple routes you can take to complete the game, hell there is even a route for reverse boss order. Not to mention new strats are still be found to this day.

geise

Mickey's Coach
I find myself playing Actraiser, Turtles in Time, Contra 3, Batman Returns, Ninja Warriors Again, Super Smash TV, Super Turrican, U.N. Squadron a lot more than Super Metriod. I very much enjoyed Super Metroid when I played through it but it was just not a game I found myself coming back to play through again. Same actually goes for all the metroidvania style games. Just a personal preference so I guess this whole post means shit. Lol.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Are you serious? With sequence breaking there are multiple routes you can take to complete the game, hell there is even a route for reverse boss order. Not to mention new strats are still be found to this day.

and you can beat Zelda without a sword, or mario without a mushroom, but those are self imposed replay difficulties.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
and you can beat Zelda without a sword, or mario without a mushroom, but those are self imposed replay difficulties.

Let me ask you this, what's a game you consider to have replay value and why?

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
SMW is a great game, but it's light entertainment. You play it when you just want to shut your brain off.

Super Metroid is more engaging. Nothing touches the atmosphere of that game.

I don't know about that. It's been a while since I played SMW, but I remember a lot of things that engaged your brain like finding alternate paths within levels to reveal other levels on the world map, activating the different colour blocks, finding the star road, and so on.

While I personally prefer a Link to the Past, I can't argue against Super Metroid being the best SNES game, or even SMW.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Meh, I don't know, maybe because I find it so easy that I play it (SMW) almost purely out of muscle memory. Super Metroid isn't exactly a hard game, but I find the story side of it, along with the music and pixel art, to draw me in a lot deeper than SMW.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It was either super Mario world or final fantasy 2 for me.

At the time, FFII was the love of my life. I picked it up summer of 1992 and played it through more times than I can count.

I'll just say that in my world, the SNES was a clear cut champion of that era...Super Metroid, Link to the past, FF II/III, Mario World, Contra III, Castlevania IV...I could go on and on...

Lukejaywalker23

Playa' From, Around The Way.,
At the time, FFII was the love of my life. I picked it up summer of 1992 and played it through more times than I can count.

I'll just say that in my world, the SNES was a clear cut champion of that era...Super Metroid, Link to the past, FF II/III, Mario World, Contra III, Castlevania IV...I could go on and on...

Yeah the system has like 5-10 games that people argue over best of all time. Not many systems can say that.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.

Along with FF7, FFII is my favourite FF. I played FFII before FFIII and I've always liked it better. It always irked me a little that FFIII would get so much attention and I felt like FFII was just overlooked. I think FFII has a great soundtrack and really memorable characters. With all of the re-releases of the game over the years though I think it has rightly gained more appreciation.

The SNES was just jammed with so many quality RPGs it was easy to miss quality games. I only played Terranigma years after.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Along with FF7, FFII is my favourite FF. I played FFII before FFIII and I've always liked it better. It always irked me a little that FFIII would get so much attention and I felt like FFII was just overlooked. I think FFII has a great soundtrack and really memorable characters. With all of the re-releases of the game over the years though I think it has rightly gained more appreciation.

The SNES was just jammed with so many quality RPGs it was easy to miss quality games. I only played Terranigma years after.

Its funny...I feel the exact same way. There was just something about FFII that really pulled me in. I don't debate it much because I'm willing to admit that my views are colored by many things. I bought FFIII when it came out...and I loved the game, but it never felt like FFII did. I've played then both over the years, but if I had one to pick, it would be II.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Yeah the system has like 5-10 games that people argue over best of all time. Not many systems can say that.

I'd have a hard time picking a top 50 on the snes TBH, it had that many good games, and this is from an MD sega fan.
It was the golden age of gaming for me, late 80's to mid 90's, we were spoilt for choice when sega and nintendo locked horns in the 16 bit gaming war, so many good games to pick from.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Speaking of FF6: Kefka is now a boss in FF14 and so is the phantom train.
Not sure if you can suplex it though.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Speaking of FF6: Kefka is now a boss in FF14 and so is the phantom train.
Not sure if you can suplex it though.

Sounds like a desperate attempt to get older FF fans into their current line of weeaboo aimed, shit pile FF titles.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
don't get your tranny panties in a twist, old "man".

Do you dispute my claim of modern FF titles being weeaboo shit?

I'll tell you what, this krew got's my back...

finalfantasyxv-720p.jpg

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Super Metroid isn't #1, but it's probably in the top 5, and definitely in the top 10.

I'd rank Chrono Trigger, FF6, Panel de Pon, and Tactics Ogre above it.

FF14 is a pretty nice experience for the old-school FF fan, probably one of the better post-FF6 installments. Unfortunately, you need to pay a monthly subscription fee in order to play it.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The best Final Fantasy post-PS1 is Bravely Default. X and later are all total ass and everyone who likes them is a bad person.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
The best Final Fantasy post-PS1 is Bravely Default. X and later are all total ass and everyone who likes them is a bad person.

If we're including spin-offs, then that honor goes to FFT, but BD is quite nice too. As far as mainline titles, the only good ones that came out after FF6 are FF9, FF12, and FF14.

Lukejaywalker23

Playa' From, Around The Way.,
If we're including spin-offs, then that honor goes to FFT, but BD is quite nice too. As far as mainline titles, the only good ones that came out after FF6 are FF9, FF12, and FF14.

BD is alright but half that game is just padding. Such a shitty design

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i actually really like ffx. but that was the last one. i hated the way ff12 played and the levelling up system was nonsensical. final fantasy just got worse and worse with every instalment.