The bicycling thread.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Waiting for pix of a fixie with a coffee mug holder on the mustache handlebar, skinny jeans, Wolverine 1,000 mile boots, and a messenger bag.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
back on topic, I ordered my new bike about 10 days ago and it came in today!

RxHd3xE.jpg

It's a Mongoose Seek'r. It's pretty basic/ beginner level but it is a huge step up from what I've been on. The plan is to replace a bunch of the shitty components over time as the frame is pretty good. All i've done so far is swap out the seat and put my bottle cage on. I have some new alloy pedals I haven't put on yet as well (the biggest complaint i saw about this bike was that the stock resin pedals had a tendency to split/ break so I figured I would nip that one right in the bud. It's nice to be on something that fits me right though.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Waiting for pix of a fixie with a coffee mug holder on the mustache handlebar, skinny jeans, Wolverine 1,000 mile boots, and a messenger bag.
I used to have a bottle cage that was made to hold a 40. Does that count?

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
I used to have a bottle cage that was made to hold a 40. Does that count?
Yeah so long as you can drink it while riding. I have a hard time with the plastic spring water bottles, couldn't imagine trying to finagle a 40 at speed.

853984c7c5dc617f326e0359df546164.jpg

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Yeah so long as you can drink it while riding. I have a hard time with the plastic spring water bottles, couldn't imagine trying to finagle a 40 at speed.

The tricky part was getting the screw top off. But it was more a gag then anything else. I remember seeing a young hipster with a bottle cage for a flask on the saddle. Actually liked that idea

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
The tricky part was getting the screw top off. But it was more a gag then anything else. I remember seeing a young hipster with a bottle cage for a flask on the saddle. Actually liked that idea

Fix a sport top to it. Problem solved.

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Anyone have a electric bike ? or do a conversion? Ive been thinking about getting a ebike but they kind of pricey but more importantly i think it would make me Lazy . Id want it just to ride to work/home a bit faster. I have a Specialized sworks fsr that i may do a conversion on , still just thinking it through. the kit im looking at is from bionx .

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
back on topic, I ordered my new bike about 10 days ago and it came in today!

RxHd3xE.jpg

It's a Mongoose Seek'r. It's pretty basic/ beginner level but it is a huge step up from what I've been on. The plan is to replace a bunch of the shitty components over time as the frame is pretty good. All i've done so far is swap out the seat and put my bottle cage on. I have some new alloy pedals I haven't put on yet as well (the biggest complaint i saw about this bike was that the stock resin pedals had a tendency to split/ break so I figured I would nip that one right in the bud. It's nice to be on something that fits me right though.

I was going to say, congrats on the purchase. Would you like my advice?

...yeah, well, here goes...

Beat that fella like it owes you money. Outside of typical maint items, do not sink a dime into it. IF you decide that cycling is for you and once you've spent quite a bit of time on the saddle...go buy a completely different bike. In time you will find what you like and dislike about it. How it handles, how the geometry does or does not work for you, how the shifting is, how the included gears work for your needs, the good and bad of the saddle, how the brakes are, how comfortable or punishing the ride quality is.

Take that info to a real bike store and get something else. You will piss away $$ trying to dress up that frame, you'd be better off getting a different package.

Anyone have a electric bike ? or do a conversion? Ive been thinking about getting a ebike but they kind of pricey but more importantly i think it would make me Lazy . Id want it just to ride to work/home a bit faster. I have a Specialized sworks fsr that i may do a conversion on , still just thinking it through. the kit im looking at is from bionx .

I.want.this.badly.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/electric/turbo/turbo-s-ce#specs

...and I mean BADLY...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Best advice anyone ever gave me when I started to get back into cycling while here in the US was; DO NOT BUY FROM DEPARTMENT STORES, just shop from a bike shop, even their low end bikes are better than anything you can find at those big stores.
...lol...

Congrats on the purchase Chris, Im sure a new bike will feel miles ahead of your old one. Smokes advice is solid though, if you start riding a lot you will want to replace that whole bike in a year. Get it set up so it works for you now, then beat it like a red headed step child and learn from it what you want in the next bike. Dont let that bike become a never ending money hole. This hobby can get retarded expensive fast.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I was going to say, congrats on the purchase. Would you like my advice?

...yeah, well, here goes...

Beat that fella like it owes you money. Outside of typical maint items, do not sink a dime into it. IF you decide that cycling is for you and once you've spent quite a bit of time on the saddle...go buy a completely different bike. In time you will find what you like and dislike about it. How it handles, how the geometry does or does not work for you, how the shifting is, how the included gears work for your needs, the good and bad of the saddle, how the brakes are, how comfortable or punishing the ride quality is.

Take that info to a real bike store and get something else. You will piss away $$ trying to dress up that frame, you'd be better off getting a different package.

That was pretty much the plan. Beat the shit out of it. Replace a couple of really shitty parts. Learn how to wrench on it. At the stage of where i'm at, this fits me fine- especially where i'm coming from. This is something i want to know that i am going to take seriously before i sink any real money in.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
That was pretty much the plan. Beat the shit out of it. Replace a couple of really shitty parts. Learn how to wrench on it. At the stage of where i'm at, this fits me fine- especially where i'm coming from. This is something i want to know that i am going to take seriously before i sink any real money in.

The only thing that I can definitely warn you about is that lower end components do not "tune" well. I've worked on bikes for a very long time, low end stuff does not tune up well and even if you are lucky enough to dial it in, it won't hold it for long. In other words, don't waste a ton of time messing with your front/rear derailleur or those brakes. They are what they are...no mater how much you'd mess with them, they'll never be a swiss watch performance wise.

Really, the only real area of concern on that rig are the wheels, tires and those disc brakes. I'd keep an eye on all of them...

Oh...and get a good pump to keep the tires at correct pressure...so many refuse to do this...

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
The only thing that I can definitely warn you about is that lower end components do not "tune" well. I've worked on bikes for a very long time, low end stuff does not tune up well and even if you are lucky enough to dial it in, it won't hold it for long. In other words, don't waste a ton of time messing with your front/rear derailleur or those brakes. They are what they are...no mater how much you'd mess with them, they'll never be a swiss watch performance wise.

Really, the only real area of concern on that rig are the wheels, tires and those disc brakes. I'd keep an eye on all of them...

Oh...and get a good pump to keep the tires at correct pressure...so many refuse to do this...

all good advice. i'll for sure watch that tire pressure.

I'm not expecting aston martin performance out of a kia. I'm just getting back into it here and want to see what I can do. When the time comes and I know i'm serious about it, get something much better. For now, I should be able to put some miles on some of the local trails and tracks with this and get my bearings.

As far as some of the other components I was adding- it was just some basic shit- like the pedals i mentioned (that have a history of breaking). Im not doing a full outfit on this thing. It just feels good to be on something that actually fits me correctly.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
My new bike update:

So about 20 miles into the ownership of the bike everyone told me not to buy the twist shifter broke and was stuck in 7th gear. My plans were to return the bike after some sage-like advice from smokehouse.

My initial plans were to swap out the shifters anyways as i hate the twist style. I had the bike in my van and as I was driving I passed by a bike shop with a huge 'going out of business' sign. Well I figured I would swing by and see if they had a deal on a better bike, or maybe some better shifters (im thinking if i can get away with $10 or $15 im straight and i get what i wanted in the first place). I talk to the shop owner who was sad at his situation, but was also very eager to help a bike noob like myself. He asked me to bring it in, so I did.

After he asked what I was looking for and had me play with some parts on some demo bikes I couldn't afford, he ended up kitting out my bike pretty good at a crazy low price ($60 all in), put it on the rack and then proceeded to show me how to wrench the damn thing. It was a really cool experience.

Ended up with an x4 rear derailleur, x3 shifters (which are awesome), s600 crankset, locking grips (which were more comfy and longer since there was no twist shifter anymore), a sealed bearing bottom bracket from sunrace, and a kmc chain. the thing as dropped like 4 1/2 lbs too. It's a completely different bike. Its lighter and faster. I know it's never going to be a world beater, but it is becoming my own now.

Spoiler:

oWLutf4.jpg

X2pJuMa.jpg

3sNlHpp.jpg

Kbt4r4G.jpg

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member

Holy shit I need this in my life

Edit: sad but true I can only find OE in plastic bottles in my hood now

Last edited:

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Holy shit I need this in my life

Edit: sad but true I can only find OE in plastic bottles in my hood now
A few days ago, I ordered pizza and wanted to drink some OE with it. Couldn't find ANY malt liquor! Grocery stores, 7 11, ampm, nothing! I was so pissed. Found a shady looking liquor store last night and hit the jackpot. Had every 40 oz you could think of including some I've never heard of. I remember as a kid seeing 40s everywhere, wonder what the deal is

Kiel

20 Year Member
come visit chicago. there is glass.

Colt 45 is my go to and thankfully that's still in glass.

Sippin OE in Chi-town sounds like a good thing

Kiel

20 Year Member
Ugh, I haven't :( I really thought I was going to get it done this spring so I could ride all summer but I'm like a raccoon and am at the mercy of the next shiny thing I see.