The bicycling thread.

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
A few days ago, I ordered pizza and wanted to drink some OE with it. Couldn't find ANY malt liquor! Grocery stores, 7 11, ampm, nothing! I was so pissed. Found a shady looking liquor store last night and hit the jackpot. Had every 40 oz you could think of including some I've never heard of. I remember as a kid seeing 40s everywhere, wonder what the deal is
Fuckin' hipsters man. Something else to blame on them.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Fuckin' hipsters man. Something else to blame on them.

Craft40s_r.jpg

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Still waiting for a pic of roker's hipster rig.

Marek

Banned
back on topic, I ordered my new bike about 10 days ago and it came in today!

RxHd3xE.jpg

It's a Mongoose Seek'r. It's pretty basic/ beginner level but it is a huge step up from what I've been on. The plan is to replace a bunch of the shitty components over time as the frame is pretty good. All i've done so far is swap out the seat and put my bottle cage on. I have some new alloy pedals I haven't put on yet as well (the biggest complaint i saw about this bike was that the stock resin pedals had a tendency to split/ break so I figured I would nip that one right in the bud. It's nice to be on something that fits me right though.

Looks kinda like a dirt jumper with the front suspension only. Is that what its for?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

Nice bike there. Aluminum frame -w- carbon fork? Is that a 5600 105 groupset I see as well? Spending time on a 5600 and a 5700 105 bike...I much preferred the 5600. It was a much smoother shifting system vs the 5700 and its internal cable routing. That was the main reason why I moved to 5800 on my bike...

*EDIT*
or is that a steel frame? I also noticed the crank is a Tiagra...

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Nice bike there. Aluminum frame -w- carbon fork? Is that a 5600 105 groupset I see as well? Spending time on a 5600 and a 5700 105 bike...I much preferred the 5600. It was a much smoother shifting system vs the 5700 and its internal cable routing. That was the main reason why I moved to 5800 on my bike...

*EDIT*
or is that a steel frame? I also noticed the crank is a Tiagra...

It's a Tiagra. I want to invest in a better set (shifting delays like whoa), but I keep finding other things to invest my money into. Yes, it is a steel frame and I love the bike. I'm sure carbon is better, but this bike does the trick for me just fine.

Also, I got a new fancy saddle for it.

6bde11fb3e7fc28cd8ef48d5c1beb5e2.jpg

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Not pictured are my clipless pedals. I got some Keo Look pedals and Giro shoes to clip in. I purchased that after the 5 boros. I think the cleats on my shoes are wearing out.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It's a Tiagra. I want to invest in a better set (shifting delays like whoa), but I keep finding other things to invest my money into. Yes, it is a steel frame and I love the bike. I'm sure carbon is better, but this bike does the trick for me just fine.

Looks like you went to some clipless pedals as well...*just noticed your reply*

Carbon better? Meh...depends on your definition of "better". It's not like you have any-old frame there...that's a nice bike from a great maker. Spending time on an aluminum version of my carbon bike...the only thing I did notice was that carbon absorbs road chatter better than aluminum. Better than steel? not sure.

I will say the 5800 105 is a superb group...seriously superb. Super smooth shifting vs my 5700, especially up front (which was slow and took quite a bit of effort on my 5700). I am extremely pleased I made the move.

This set here would be a significant upgrade for you:
http://www.wiggle.com/shimano-105-5800-groupset/

All you need to add is a new rear 11-speed hub:

http://www.wiggle.com/shimano-105-5800-road-hubset/

The 5800/6800 brakes are just freaking awesome...

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Looks like you went to some clipless pedals as well...*just noticed your reply*

Carbon better? Meh...depends on your definition of "better". It's not like you have any-old frame there...that's a nice bike from a great maker. Spending time on an aluminum version of my carbon bike...the only thing I did notice was that carbon absorbs road chatter better than aluminum. Better than steel? not sure.

I will say the 5800 105 is a superb group...seriously superb. Super smooth shifting vs my 5700, especially up front (which was slow and took quite a bit of effort on my 5700). I am extremely pleased I made the move.

This set here would be a significant upgrade for you:
http://www.wiggle.com/shimano-105-5800-groupset/

All you need to add is a new rear 11-speed hub:

http://www.wiggle.com/shimano-105-5800-road-hubset/

The 5800/6800 brakes are just freaking awesome...

how about this, any good?

http://www.wiggle.com/campagnolo-athena-alloy-11-speed-groupset/

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

Personally, I've never used Campy...so I can only go off of what I read. By what I read, it's finicky shit and replacement stuff is super expensive. If (and I guess that's a big IF) you can get and keep it dialed in, it's good stuff, but it's grumpy and I guess wears out much quicker than Shimano (I've read the same of SRAM too, it doesn't last as long as Shimano by what I understand). Finding a good mechanic for it is also tough (depending) Central Illinois? Yeah...not much around.

That's why I just stuck with Shimano. I have spent time on different SRAM models and do not like them as much as the Shimano offerings. They lack that silky smooth shifting Shimano has, its hard to explain but its more "clicky" and notched. Shimano is known for reliability, is cheaper, and I can find mechanic support around every corner when/if I need it.

I can say that the 5800/6800 is brilliant...look up any reviews on it and read for yourself, the line is that good. I already had 6800 brakes and a good crank, so my "upgrade" was only $300 or so bucks last spring. it was worth every penny, the shifting is superb.

One day I really want to try a Dura Ace setup...just once.

Last edited:

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
anyone have beads on there tire that were nearly impossible to break? what did you do? i had UST wheels on my old bike and those beads were a cake walk. For some reason i cant break the beads a simple 29" wheel. these are the 3 set of tire on this wheel set and i first time i ever had an issue like this. i hurt my hand trying. used pliers and ripped the tire still have gotten the tire off.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
My mind...I just can't stop it and the "itis"...

We will see how 2016 season goes with the sprint triathlon attempts...if it goes well, I have my goals for 2017 set at completing an Olympic length event.

"sprint" it typically:
400-750m swim
12.5-15mi cycle
5K run

"olympic" is basically double that:
1.5K swim
25mi cycle
10K run

IF I do well in 2016 and IF I decide that tri is really something for me...well, then, I'll need a serious kit to go with it...at least as serious as my budget will allow.

And that brings me to this bad boy:
http://www.cervelo.com/en/bikes/p-series/p2.html

I've always wanted a Cervelo TT bike...I've just never had justification to own one. If I get heavy into tri, I will...

Add this to the front:
http://www.flocycling.com/wheels_front_flo_90.php

This to the rear:
http://www.flocycling.com/wheels_flo_disc.php

Man, that is pure awesomeness...

7178565069_4f74073df5_b.jpg

The only difference is I would have the disc on the rear, not the 90...

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Still waiting for a pic of roker's hipster rig.

haha, didn't see this earlier. I don't own a fixie, sorry to disappoint. My other bike is a shitty hybrid that I absolutely love since it's under the radar and most likely never to get stolen. I ride it to work every single day and it's as smooth as butter and super comfy.

Pics forthcoming.

(also, smokehouses bike above is a beast!)

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
haha, didn't see this earlier. I don't own a fixie, sorry to disappoint. My other bike is a shitty hybrid that I absolutely love since it's under the radar and most likely never to get stolen. I ride it to work every single day and it's as smooth as butter and super comfy.

Pics forthcoming.

(also, smokehouses bike above is a beast!)

It's not my bike (yet).

I've always been infatuated with aero TT frames because they are so good looking...but they really are a one trick pony. If you don't do tri/TT, they are just plain useless. They climb like shit, corner like shit, and often weigh far more than a road bike.

But...they are designed for maximum straight line efficiency and efficient riding position. The geometry is awesome on those bikes for leaning on the aero bars with your forearms. I've had people tell me to just get clip on aero bars for my Tarmac, but the geometry is all wrong for that.

Riding in the drops for 15 miles is something I can easily muster and although the .4K swim will eat my upper half a bit, I'll be able to do it. Any more swim than that(and more bike), I'll want a different setup. That's why I'll look to get an aero kit if this sprint season goes well.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Cervelo: The official bike of overweight lawyers/doctors/weekend warriors with too much money to burn. At least around these parts.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
That will get stolen on the fly in the city, pretty nice for a beater...