The COVID-19 Thread and Hypothetical Boxing Predictions

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member

The ‘facts’ some you are basing your take on covid 19 on, are out of date.

Delta variant *does* more harshly impact children than other variants. It isn’t ‘mostly old people’ being infected…there has been a quantum jump in numbers of kids infected since July of this year. Despite lithy’s contrarian denials of what I posted earlier in this thread…ICU &/or ventilator beds for kids, are running out in PA many other US states.

Oppositional Defiant Disorder is difficult to treat; however, the willful ignorance on display in some of y’all’s posts are just sad…war room or not.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member

The ‘facts’ some you are basing your take on covid 19 on, are out of date.

Delta variant *does* more harshly impact children than other variants. It isn’t ‘mostly old people’ being infected…there has been a quantum jump in numbers of kids infected since July of this year. Despite lithy’s contrarian denials of what I posted earlier in this thread…ICU &/or ventilator beds for kids, are running out in PA many other US states.

Oppositional Defiant Disorder is difficult to treat; however, the willful ignorance on display in some of y’all’s posts are just sad…war room or not.

Putting 'facts' in quotes doesn't actually refute the facts as they were. And besides, you told me last year the rates were unacceptable, so what does it matter to me whether Delta is more worrisome to you? I believe your fear is exaggerated and untethered from an understanding of what our everyday risk of living looks like*.

I'll say again that infections do not matter if no one gets seriously sick, no one cares about common cold case rates. For hospitalizations, it is still mostly old people. If I get called out for using two Forbes articles, maybe you can stop linking to CNN? Hell, the first paragraph links to this page which is far more useful.

And if you select 0-17 (really needs a 0-11 option) you'll see that yes, hospitalizations are up from a Jan 2021 high of about 0.3/100,000 to about 0.5/100,000 today which itself is a large jump from the recent low of just under 0.1/100,000.

However, if we jump up to even just the 30-39 age bracket, you'll see the recent low was only ever down to 0.5/100,000, the top of the 0-17 peak now.. If we go to 50-59, it was a low of 1.0/100,000.

*How many miles a year do you travel with your kids in the car? You are risking their life each time.

In 2018, 636 children 12 years old and younger died in motor vehicle traffic crashes, and more than 97,000 were injured.

I don't necessarily know if injuries requires a hospitalization even briefly, but if so that's about 50% more deaths and hospitalizations than covid caused in a calendar year for the entire 0-17 cohort.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
*How many miles a year do you travel with your kids in the car? You are risking their life each time.

In 2018, 636 children 12 years old and younger died in motor vehicle traffic crashes, and more than 97,000 were injured.

I don't necessarily know if injuries requires a hospitalization even briefly, but if so that's about 50% more deaths and hospitalizations than covid caused in a calendar year for the entire 0-17 cohort.

If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
In Lithy's world, only the strong survive. School is a proving ground. Virus or school shooter. Pick your poison, cuz masks and gun control are as un-American as the tax-supported schools themselves. If you make it through, you get a 5% discount at the army surplus store.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Thought about getting in shape for the summer and realized today is September 1. JFC this shit has done a number on me.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
In Lithy's world, only the strong survive. School is a proving ground. Virus or school shooter. Pick your poison, cuz masks and gun control are as un-American as the tax-supported schools themselves. If you make it through, you get a 5% discount at the army surplus store.

And just like masks, how are those gun-free zones called schools working out as a preventative?

My oldest was hospitalized for a few days with Staph Scalded Skin Syndrome a few years ago. While receiving treatment for that they found a heart murmur caused by a Patent Ductus Arteriosus which turned out to require a relatively minor catheter surgery for placement of a medical device to close a small hole in his heart. They also found what they initially thought was an aneurysm and suspected he had Kawasaki Syndrome but later imaging shows it may just be an enlargement and not as much to worry about. He has mild asthma and a mild peanut allergy. The most worrying part for me in all of this was when he was fully sedated for the heart procedure.

He is not the picture of pure health, but he is a normally active kid and does just fine. Many parents have to worry about far more for their kids. If he got significantly sick, it would be terrible but that goes for covid or anything else but I can't imagine what attempting to shield them my children from life to prevent every small chance will benefit them. The staph thing has an incidence rate of something like 13 cases per million for 2-5 year olds (infants are higher, older kids lower). For the heart thing "estimated incidence of patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) in US children born at term is between 0.02% and 0.006% of live births."

I don't want my kids or wataru's or norton's or anyone's kids to get sick, just like I don't want you get hurt in an accident but I won't try to stop you from leaving your house to do so. But keep playing the 'lithy wants kids to die' angle, a childish argument that barely demonstrates functioning brain activity. Someday life needs to resume, I propose that is now, you don't, fine, make your case, I think I have.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I never played the "wants kids to die" card.

I just consider it insanely reckless, stupid and childishly entitled to opine about wanting kids in schools then not wanting any protocols put in place to keep those kids in school.

Covid is a bumbfucker mystery of a virus. It is like nothing we have seen since the invention of the electron microscope. We do not know what the long term effects of a covid will be years from now.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
It really sounds like you want an all-or-nothing approach, where if you’re not 100% free (in your mind, because let’s not forget taxes), then the whole system is bunk.

As a parent, you did the right thing to take him to get checked medically, and you did the right thing to patch him up. He doesn’t have to have Münchausen syndrome or psychosomatic illnesses. But you still have to take risks seriously. And if you look at the risks limited to a single degree, ignoring the second degree, third degree, etc, you could open yourself and the people around you to avoidable risk, and liability.

I guess you have been trying to get people to a middle ground on all this. The solution is to hunker down, get everyone on the same page with vaccinations, and avoid doing anything that could spread the disease further.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
You are the master of your fate:
you are the captain of your soul.

We don’t deserve a cookie yet. We don’t deserve in person sports or concerts. Sorry Norton and FakeXsound and 330 mega. We aren’t there yet. This isn’t a forever thing if we do it right. But if people get greedy, or selfish, it could be forever.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
You are the master of your fate:
you are the captain of your soul.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
And just like masks, how are those gun-free zones called schools working out as a preventative?

I won't touch the other issue... But we will have some real world data on universal masking thanks for the willingness of the Death Cultists in the south to set up a control group.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
We don’t deserve in person sports or concerts. Sorry Norton and FakeXsound and 330 mega.

I'm willing to bet my health and my kid's health on the minimal risk posed by outdoor actives in places with moderate community spread.

In all likelihood I actually plan on distancing more tonight. Because of my surgery, I can't pick my kids up. Meaning we will probably stake out a picnic table in the back for them to stand on.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

"I'm often asked by some of my friends on the other side of the aisle about COVID … and why does it seem like folks in Mississippi and maybe in the Mid-South are a little less scared, shall we say," Reeves said.

"When you believe in eternal life — when you believe that living on this earth is but a blip on the screen, then you don't have to be so scared of things," he said.

Mississippi has now ecliped NY in terms of per capita covid deaths. They could pass NJ and claim the crown by the end of the month.