The Hiking/Camping Thread

Dio Brando

Mickey's Coach
Summer is the time to head out into nature and escape civilization for awhile. Come and tell us of your adventures, your awesome equipment, or where you want to go someday. Pictures are encouraged.

I am more of a day hiker myself. Thankfully, the Olympic Peninsula has a plethora of trails to choose from. A couple weeks ago, I hiked a 8-mile round-trip trail to Lake Angeles, one of many small lakes nestled in the Olympics.

SAM_0044.jpg

Most of the couple thousand feet of elevation gain on the trail is within the first mile of the hike, then most is lost when heading down to the lake. It's pretty brutal, but also extremely rewarding later.

SAM_0074.jpg

The picture really doesn't do the lake justice. The water is crystal clear, every shade of green imaginable can be found in the trees and plant life, and waterfalls can be seen coming off the mountain. The trail started on the other side of this mountain.

If you ever manage to come to the Olympic Peninsula to see the outdoors, there are few better spots to explore.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Edit: smh beff

Hiked a 5 mile loop trail in Evansburg State Park near me last saturday. I want to start sharing my trips and pics. Feel free to do the same!
20230701_081959.jpg20230701_082003.jpg20230701_082226.jpg20230701_083736.jpg20230701_091901.jpg20230701_095255.jpg

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I'm an Eagle scout so I did lots of camping and whatnot when I was younger.
I miss it and keep saying I'd like to start again but like many things these days just never seem to get around to it. 😑

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I miss it and keep saying I'd like to start again but like many things these days just never seem to get around to it. 😑
I wish I could go back to Philmont.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
You just gotta force yourself tbh

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I never carry my phone when im hiking, it feels counterintuitive to the entire point of getting the fuck away from society. Maybe i will start putting it on airplane mode so i can take some photos to share while im out.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I never carry my phone when im hiking, it feels counterintuitive to the entire point of getting the fuck away from society. Maybe i will start putting it on airplane mode so i can take some photos to share while im out.
That's valid. I carry mine for photos and the all trails app to help navigate.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I used to love hiking and camping. Since January 2020, I haven't done any of it though. Used to go at least once a month or two.

Great hiking in Kyrgyzstan. Ala-Archa National Park, 2015.
Spoiler:
556.JPG

Kazakhstan, Big Almaty Lake, 2017.
Spoiler:
IMG_20170719_133902_HDR.jpg

Some abandoned section of the Great Wall, winter 2015.
Spoiler:
IMG_0245.JPG

My bad if the images are too big, didn't resize. Central Asia was heaven for me.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Dude was on top of the mountain like a solid mile from any water lol

Looks like a box turtle. They typically live in wetlands. A mile or so away from running water makes sense.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Them colleges paying off. Thank you Professor Beff

Nah, I'm just a goob ol boy from Abalama. Spent a lot of time outdoors as a wee beff. Box turtles don't really live in water. More likely to find a snapping turtle in shallow waters. In the deep south anyways, not sure about Pennsylvania...

Just like the snapping turtle I brought to school in 2nd grade that disrupted half a day of school. Got in big trouble for that. Dumped out my homework and rounded up that chonkin dude in my backpack then rode the bus a few miles before I let him out of my pack. kekz. :kekeke:

Shiiiiit, ask me about maff or something for college BS, shiiiiiiit. I GOT YO UNCOUNTABLY INFINITE SET RIGHT HERE IN MY PANTS, HO. :kekeke:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
What would happen if one of you were to run into a bear or puma in these wilds.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
What would happen if one of you were to run into a bear or puma in these wilds.
Hopefully it would tear me fucking limb from limb and i wouldnt have to go to work or pay bills ever again 🤣

Real talk though- in Alaska i was almost attacked by a bear. It would have killed me as i had nowhere to go because i was holding a high pressure fire hose fuel stinger unloading gasoline into a 500 gallon tank. If i dropped the hose, id have gone to jail for environmental crimes, if i didnt drop the hose i had no way to climb up the side of the tank. Captain scared the giant fucker off by screaming at the top of his lungs and pointing a laser into it’s eyes. I Didnt care at the time, dont care now. The captain was shook for days afterwards. Had nightmares about it. We made fun of him and got him a small plushy bear and hid it in his captain’s chair. 😂

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

Same and same.

MO has some great rivers to canoe on.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Small hike today. Pretty mid park ngl. No water features and constant highway noise in the background.
20230706_081753.jpg20230706_093751.jpg

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
We'd like to go hiking in the Shenandoah Valley around the season transition and will post pictures there. In a fan of trail running and hiking, but haven't since I was in Europe last year