The King Of Fighters XV (2020)

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Good to see Duo Lon again.

I'm still at a loss as to which character the one who looks like Athena (got the hair, the pose, the build) is.

Considering how thin her arms look like, may be Shijo Hinako with a different outfit (no hat, that is).

8992e2e5f25c9ff343ac9b16309185b5.jpg

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
Is goenitz popular? I was surprised he was included in svc chaos and I'm surprised again to see him here.

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
They should really add orochi. They basically have every other character from the orochi era.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Oh God no.
Please no more Rugal or Orochi.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Seconded. Orochi was a half-charachter, so overpowered, so un-human. On the over hand, originally he could not even crouch. Almost a stand-in of a boss, really. Not a real character.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I mean, he's generic as fuck (white-haired bishonen anime guy) but Orochi was like the final, final boss of an era of KoF.

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
It would be cathartic to destroy later gen characters like ash crimson with orochi

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
I mean, he's generic as fuck (white-haired bishonen anime guy) but Orochi was like the final, final boss of an era of KoF.

Back in 1997, Orochi, just as awekened Kaede in Gekka no Kenshi, was just one of the hundreds Nagisa Kaworu look-a-like.

A beefed-up Nagisa Kaoru.

Chris awakening into Orochi was basically Ikari Shinji turning into Nagisa Kaworu. In 96-96 you can see Leona design is basically Ayanami Rei concpet + Katsuragi Misato Ep7 concet. Sakazaki Yuri sports ome Eva quotes as well (Anta baka? - Service, service!)...

That was 96-97 in Japan, Evangelion was a big buxx inside the entertainment industry, yet do boom in the mainstream.

And SNSNKk still used that "famous" stanza from Robert Browning Pippa Passes in KOFXIII, right?

The year's at the spring
And day's at the morn;
Morning's at seven;
The hill-side's dew-pearled;
The lark's on the wing;
The snail's on the thorn:
God's in his heaven—
All's right with the world!

Alas, one may wonder just if at SNK they knew Anno Hideaki actually took those two final lines quote not from Browning's original, but from Takahata Isao's anime rendition of Mongomery's Anne of Green Gables.
71GOfB4UOCL.jpg

Last edited:

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
Your probably right, but I don't get much of a Rei vibe from Leona other than the blue hair.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
The emotionless, cold fighter persona, that is. You mix that with Katsuragi Misato's all dressed-up version of herself you see at the beginning of ep7, and you get Leona's original first-up in KOF96. :-)

BTW, Heidern is one early villan from Hokuto no Ken of course. Goenitz is basically Ikari Gendou (look at him wearing glasses in his NEOGEOCD loading illust), but named after a Yamato guy. He, SNK always was like this. Kula Diamond, K' and K9999 had all those AKIRA puns, Yabuki Shingo was all about Tomino Yoshiyuki's quotes, alas, Yuri even quoted this:

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
Is orochi really a bishonen though. The character is jacked.

1693705860774.png

Ilovejapangirls

Mature's Make-up Artist
Shito has rightly said that Orochi is a "a beefed-up Nagisa Kaoru" . And just like with Leona, snk doesn't copy a concept down to a T but just takes inspiration and then molds it into something unique...though you can still clearly see where the "spark" of the character came from (ex: Rei and Misato for Leona, Kaoru for Orochi / Rock)

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
When I get some free time I'm going to go to an evangelion forum and see what those fans think of the KOF designs and possible influence. Will report back.

Any other EVA influences that haven't already been mentioned?

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Yuri Sakazaki tauting with "Anta baka?" ("Are ya stupid?"), the most famous Souryuu Asuka Langley line, and her winpose quoting "Service, service!", the very ending tagline for (almost) every single EVA episode preview. :-)

Ilovejapangirls

Mature's Make-up Artist
Considering how thin her arms look like, may be Shijo Hinako with a different outfit (no hat, that is).
I really hope you're right! Hinako is one of my favourite characters and has sadly been abandoned by SNK after XI. You gave me hope with your insight!

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Three decades worth of fighting game franchise characters to pick from and we get Hinako as DLC.