The Neo Geo mini is coming...

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
View attachment 50620
Since the DC in seems to be USB-C (8.4mm wide) and the HDMI seems to be slightly wider, I’d say it’s a mini HDMI (type C, 10.42mm wide). See https://tethertalk.com/2013/11/18/what-are-hdmi-hdmi-mini-hdmi-micro-cables/
We have to wait to have one in our hands to be sure, it could be a custom connector, but I don’t think so.

Wait, so you can only use one gamepad on this thing? If you want some two player action, you have to use the atrocious analog stick on the mini-cab?
I really hope you can use a usb hub and get two controllers to work at once...

Hine62

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Wait, so you can only use one gamepad on this thing? If you want some two player action, you have to use the atrocious analog stick on the mini-cab?

Game pad ports are on the side...

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
UH OH!!!! WE CANT PLAY 2 PLAYER GAMES ON THE 5 INCH SCREEN!!!

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist

When one or two pads are connected, you have to use the tv. Using pads on the small screen aint gonna happen in other words.

Hine62

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Still up in the air about this mini... considering I just saw an ebay post for $300.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Why the fuck would anyone buy this shit unless they just had money burning a hole in their pocket? Just get a Raspberry Pi setup, put much more games on it than this pile or garbage will offer, and be done with it.

The tiny arcade cab gimmick is cool for lets say $50 or less, other than that, nobody will play these games on that 3.5" screen (I realize that it also has an HDMI plug to play in the TV, but that's besides the point)..... Let alone the fucking controls on the mini cab...:rolleyes:

SNK really has been consistently fucking up their brand for years(unfortunately), this shouldn't shock anyone here.

It would really be great if someone could do justice to the SNK IPs and put out some good quality games already..... Well, the last two KOF games were pretty good TBH, so that's a start.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
Yeah, I'd just make a custom Pi bartop with proper 2p controls over this. Sure I'd be spending 3 times as much money but it would be fully functional for 2 players and have every game.

I was originally thinking of getting one of these just to support SNK but I'll just hold out hope that they make a new, quality Samurai Spirits title that I can throw money at.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior

I meant while playing on a TV, unless, of course, you want to make a very intimate gaming session close to each other.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
It sucks they didn’t model the international verision after the red mvs machine we all know and love.. I may still buy it to display in front of the few AES games I own.

I will wait to see how good the emulation is and to see how well built it is.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Why wouldn't they make it so two people can link them together?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I'd be more excited about if it had controller ports for the old AES sticks (or if you could use PS2/PS3 controllers on it, so you could use the PS2 AES replica sticks).

Why wouldn't they make it so two people can link them together?
Linking them together would actually be different than just having two players play on one Mini, using two controllers. Only a few Neo Geo game actually supported linking two AES's (which also meant you used two display screens instead of one).
I wonder why they don't just put all the Neo Geo games (rather than just 40) on these systems (Neo Geo X, Neo Geo Mini), from the start? Is it due to problems with game licensing? It's a shame that some great games, like Pulstar and Samurai Shodown, weren't included. The Mini isn't like the Neo Geo X (where they were trying to sell you more games later on).

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
It's a shame that some great games, like Shock Troopers and Metal Slug X, weren't included. The Mini isn't like the Neo Geo X (where they were trying to sell you more games later on).

Ah, joe8... you do so much to support your image of an Aussie hillbilly, so it must be trolling -- but I'll bite anyway: The so called "International" version of the Mini, which will come down the line for the western market, does include Metal Slug X & Shock Troopers, ergo the Mini is like the X, for here they try to "sell you more games later on".

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher
People, it's a Linux embedded box (I mean, I guess it is)… just wait a month or two from the release and you will be able to connect a USB hub to one of the USB-C ports and browse the web with a keyboard+mouse and a USB Wi-Fi stick. And yes, you will be able to put the entire Neo Geo romset in a connected USB stick and use Retroarch too.

Last edited:

Vulpine

n00b
I'll probably pick up a pad when they come out, for PC platformers and the like. Would much rather the system itself just look like a mini AES though.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
People, it's a Linux embedded box (I mean, I guess it is)… just wait a month or two from the release and you will be able to connect a USB hub to one of the USB-C ports and browse the web with a keyboard+mouse and a USB Wi-Fi stick. And yes, you will be able to put the entire Neo Geo romset in a connected USB stick and use Retroarch too.

Thought this as well, this is why I'll be keeping an eye open.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Ah, joe8... you do so much to support your image of an Aussie hillbilly, so it must be trolling -- but I'll bite anyway: The so called "International" version of the Mini, which will come down the line for the western market, does include Metal Slug X & Shock Troopers, ergo the Mini is like the X, for here they try to "sell you more games later on".
I did edit my post to change that, once I noticed there was a different game list on the International version. The edit was done before you made this post.

I thought the Japanese Neo Geo Mini would be the best version to get (even though it might be Japanese language), as the buttons and cab are the same colors as the original Japanese arcade cab. But after finding out the International Neo Geo Mini had the first Shock Troopers, and Metal Slug X, I changed my mind on that. I'm not sure that many people will want to buy both the Japanese and International Mini's- there's too much overlap between the games list each one features.

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
its page 27, preorders are on, and there's no better time to get autistic as fuck

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
I was thinking of connecting them and maybe having one become a slave. Just being a controller and screen for a 2 player experience.

Oh, I see. Yeah, that'd be a kind of neat feature. Dunno how they'd sync them, but it'd be kinda neat to do 1v1 like that.

Neogeoman106st

Crossed Swords Squire
Nce set here but way over priced for a back pack haha
https://www.snk-onlineshop.com/item/4580015693276.html
4580015693276.jpg

4580015693276_2.jpg

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
It's a nice hardcase bag but eh it's like $370+ in aussie dollars besides no one will actually use it, it'll just end up on the shelf or better yet in the box/wrapping it came in.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
I wish they had done a Neo Geo Pocket Ultra or something. Put these classic Neo Geo games on a Neo Geo Pocket style handheld. Much more comfortable to hold, and frankly the nostalgia factor would help it even more than this weird baby arcade cabinet thing. Just my opinion anyway.