The New Fitness thread

krautcroissant

Living it LARGE!,
You've got a great attitude about the situation. I developed social anxiety over it which uhhh kinda ruined my life and everything but I guess I've been able to move on :) If you're comfortable in your body then you're already doing better than most people, hyperhidrosis or not. rock on dude.

Haha, thanks for the kind words amigo! It is funny as I have never really thought about it being bad. Sure it has been embarrassing at times, but overall I have always been able to brush it off with a smile.
What I said before stands true: I am blessed with good looks and thus most people have always overlooked the dripping sweats - sad but true.... but that is human nature I guess.
I lived in South East Asia for a long time, and the Asians (like the Turks now) are funny about somebody sweating profusely. So that always brings/brought up some funny moments, but I am old enough now to just shrug my shoulders and ignore it.
I am sorry to hear that it led to social anxiety for you... I guess I am lucky with my overly confident manner that I have always had. It really has never been a problem aside from some sports or work situations (or weddings etc).

Also I have always seen the sweating as a blessing as I constantly detox. I have do have to drink a shit load of water and make sure that my mineral levels are on par... but I have learned to regulate this very well. Fitness is my life style and all of this is part of it.

Now for some new pix... finally got round to it.

krautcroissant

Living it LARGE!,
This image uploader is complicated...........

Attachments

• IMG-20130624-00386_crop_size.jpg
    IMG-20130624-00386_crop_size.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

krautcroissant

Living it LARGE!,
Since Spike's chat I have been smashing it.

Got bored of endless pull-ups and levers, so went full force into a 5x5 programme (says 'as inspired by Reg Park'). Pretty awesome stuff. I am really enjoying doing some big weights on low reps. I have always been in favour of doing new work-outs to shock the muscles, and this one is really kicking my ass right now. It also incorporates the legs during every work-out, which is great!
Shit, reminds me to get some leg shots up! They are looking not too shabby!

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
If anyone here, who is currently weight training, would like to try some extreme training, look up Serge Nubret's workouts. I've done some, and they are BALL BUSTERS.

You must leave your ego at the door when attempting these lifts. For chest, for instance, I've done the following... and be warned, it is a bitch:

Everything is with ONLY a minute rest, at most.

8 sets of flat bench, 12 reps.
6 sets of flat flies, 12 reps
6 sets of incline bench, 12 reps
6 sets of incline flies, 12 reps
6 sets of dumbbell pullovers, 12 reps

Seems doable, until you actually do it. It is a terrific ordeal. The very short rest times are murder. I have over a 300 lb max (one rep) on flat, so I decided to be macho and start with 195 flat... I had to lower the weight after the second set, because you simply do not have the rest required to hoist heavier weights up. By the end, I was desperate. I was in complete despair as we kept pushing through all the sets.

To put into context to non-lifters how many sets we did, it's considered a good workout if you do 12-15 sets of 10 reps per workout. We did 32 sets of 12! That's three times as many as what is normally "required" or "acceptable." Yet, if you don't push yourself and keep doing the norm, your body just won't grow. You have got to push your body into an uncomfortable state. Evolve or die. Or, as they say, "train insane or remain the same." ;)

Likewise, yesterday for arms, we had a 10 sets of 10 triceps and our rest period was doing 10 sets of 10 on biceps. In other words, do 10 reps of biceps on cable, then quickly do 10 on triceps on cable. Repeat until you've done 100 each. And no, that wasn't our only lifts for bis and tris we did that day.

When doing this type or workout, you really feel despair. I know I've said that already, but it's the best way to describe it. I feel like I am abusing myself (and my workout partner). This is why, when people ask if I enjoy working out, I laugh. Hell no I don't enjoy it, it's horrible.

Last edited:

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
it's going to be 90+ here all week so i'm taking a week off from my current routine to do some swimming

i haven't done it seriously for almost two years and even then i didn't do it too seriously

i've always wanted to take the time to try to figure out the Butterfly Stroke

it's one of those things that the professionals make look so effortless but in reality it's hard as fuck (physically and form-wise)

Darren870

Previously Lusted for Lard
I screwed up my shoulder yesterday doing kettlebells so I will probably avoid upper body work for a week or two.
Guess that means its leg day....EVERYDAY!

As for aerobic work. Yea depends on your goals. If your workouts are very intensive then you don't need to really run before hand. Depending on my day depends when I run, as I do try to at least do 15-30 mins. Best to go after if you are lifting heavy that day, this way your energy is spent with the big lifts and not on the treadmill before hand.

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Leg day every day, while it sounds like a lovely idea, will only get you hurt. Maybe legs and abs and some cardio. But it's best not to do legs day after day, or you're asking for trouble.

Unless you were joking. In which case, never mind. :)

Darren870

Previously Lusted for Lard
Leg day every day, while it sounds like a lovely idea, will only get you hurt. Maybe legs and abs and some cardio. But it's best not to do legs day after day, or you're asking for trouble.

Unless you were joking. In which case, never mind. :)

Haha yea I was. I can lift my arm a lot more now so its not as bad as I thought. Still going to give it a rest for a week or so.

krautcroissant

Living it LARGE!,
If anyone here, who is currently weight training, would like to try some extreme training, look up Serge Nubret's workouts. I've done some, and they are BALL BUSTERS.

You must leave your ego at the door when attempting these lifts. For chest, for instance, I've done the following... and be warned, it is a bitch:

Everything is with ONLY a minute rest, at most.

8 sets of flat bench, 12 reps.
6 sets of flat flies, 12 reps
6 sets of incline bench, 12 reps
6 sets of incline flies, 12 reps
6 sets of dumbbell pullovers, 12 reps

When doing this type or workout, you really feel despair. I know I've said that already, but it's the best way to describe it. I feel like I am abusing myself (and my workout partner). This is why, when people ask if I enjoy working out, I laugh. Hell no I don't enjoy it, it's horrible.

Felt like a change today and this gave the above a shot. Tough for sure, and I was in pieces at the end of it too... but, as most of my work has been like that for years now (Lots of sets, reps and max 1 min rest) I was ok really and loved the challenge.
Starting to do the 5x5 programme recently is almost like a reverse for me - moving from high reps/sets, to lower reps with heavier weights. Loving that, but again, I did enjoy the change today for a good chest workout (need to work on that part anyways I feel). I will be sore later on for sure!

As for the work-outs to be enjoyable... that is a yes for me. I love the pain and working through it. Always have :)

Also, here is a fun work-out that popped into my head while doing yours Spike. This is my favourite high-intensity chest and back workout. Every pair is to be done as a super-set with one minute rest to follow (i.e. no rest between pairs. E.g. pull-ups and straight onto bench and then 1 min):

5 x Super Set:
Behind Head Pull-ups x 15
Bench x 15

5 x Super Set:
Bent over wide grip barbell pull x 15
Incline Bench x 15 (sets 3-5 can be x12)

5 x Super Set:
Close Grip seated pull x 15
Flat Flies x 15

5 x Super Set:
Dips x 15
Close Grip pull-ups x 15

5x15 Dumbbell Pull-over to finish off.

krautcroissant

Living it LARGE!,
Forgot to mention re Spike's workout, on the first set (Bench 8x12) I used the TRX. Really narrow angle 8x12 push-ups. These are hard with the TRX set super low (i.e. pretty much kissing the floor when lowering down).
Don't think this is cheating though as the TRX is hard this low down! Works the shoulders a lot more to keep the balance.

Anyway, a slight variation I did....

Last edited:

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
IMG_20111209_125852.jpg
ab shots please

I hardly work out anymore. I perhaps should though.. im 33 now.

And when i said I eat whatever I want, well I still try and eat good food. Just lots of different types per meal.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
How many balls do you have? Seriously... something is wrong down there.

And also, it is quite evident you eat whatever you want, as you stated earlier.

Also, the reason I am being slightly rude/silly about the way you eat is because this thread is to help give advice for people to improve their health and the way they look. I don't want people to follow the wrong advice about how to eat well... no offense.

Last edited:

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member

Also, the reason I am being slightly rude/silly about the way you eat is because this thread is to help give advice for people to improve their health and the way they look. I don't want people to follow the wrong advice about how to eat well... no offense.

So if we basically look at what has been produced in this thread, its been a bunch of generalized diets which for the most part are quite similar, and people posting results.

Id say out of the bunch, you work the hardest, and have the best results, where as others probably dont work as hard, and the results decline accordingly. (Talking about weight, intensity, not about time put in) I almost dont work out at all anymore, but still eat quite well. (I have a bit of an endomorph physique) Now with that said, my comment was about regulating weight, not looking like yourself. And it was based on my personal observations, not fact, which I openly presented as such. So my opinion isnt wrong in the least, it just doesn't coincide with your personal goals. Which if it works for me, may help regulate the weight for others; and which also may be their goal.

And I have big balls, everybody knows that already.

(I wasn't going to post my pic initially, but I was asked for it. And have less of a tire then average joe (Which works out all the time), I also have an endomorph physique, which puts on weight easily, so based on my lack of exercise, I'm doing something right. My conclusion, its all about the weights and intensity if you want to look like yourself. Eating right counts, but is a distant third.)

Last edited:

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Not to be a dick(pun intended), but please crop that out of any future pics.

So if we basically look at what has been produced in this thread, its been a bunch of generalized diets which for the most part are quite similar, and people posting results.
It may not be your intention, but the tone here sounds a bit condescending, not to mention over-generalizing a bit. Joe's mention of being Paleo as well as the bit about no fruit is in rather stark contrast to what others seem to be going for diet-wise.

Also, and I'm really not trying to be derisive here, what exactly do you mean when you talk about "utilizing all your enzymes"? Genuinely curious as I'm completely stumped.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Here's a nutrition question for you guys.

I'm not a lifter, I'm a runner, but I still think I'll get some good advice here.

Currently, I run about 25 miles a week, swim 1,000 meters on the weekend, and cross train twice a week for 30-45 minutes. Once in a while I lift as well, but not with any regularity, mainly when it's raining and I can't get outside, or someone wants a gym partner.

Anyways. I'm having surgery Friday, and I could be down for a month to six weeks. Suffice it to say, I'm fucking dreading it. In order to not waste away and gain a bunch of unhealthy weight, I'm going to have to adjust my diet to compensate for a complete stop in exercise.

Currently I consume between 2300 and 2600 calories a day. I keep my macros around 50/30/20 (carbs, fat, protein), and I maintain weight at 160 lbs.

Since I'll be going from a good amount of physical activity a week to essentially nothing, how should I adjust my diet?

Should I just up the protein and cut back on fat by a certain percentage, or should I simply scale back my calorie intake to <2000 for a few weeks, and hope to maintain where I'm at until I can get active again?

Keep in mind, NO physical activity for weeks...how do I compensate?

It's good you insulted him so nobody ate the wrong stuff, nice work.