The Super Spy 1CC video and webpage

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
pinkmultikicksmall.gif

As some of you may know, I had an old webpage where I did reviews of some obscure arcade games. Then I got lazy and stopped updating it. Recently I decided to revive it and attempt to finish off some reviews I had started but never finished.

One of them was for The Super Spy. Yes, I know the game gets a lot of hate but I've always had a soft spot for the game despite all the problems with it.

Somehow the page ended up going from a review into a "walkthrough" for the game, which is why it took so long to finish. But it's finally done.

http://bbh.marpirc.net/superspy/

I don't expect it to change the minds of anyone who already hates the game, because I fully admit that it's way too repetitive (and the best part of the game doesn't occur until near the very end). But I also wanted to dispel the notion that the game was "impossible" and couldn't be played in a manner that didn't consist of mashing on continue every 30 seconds. So I also uploaded my old 1CC run.

I realize of course that barely anyone will actually watch that video all the way through, or even read the entire webpage for that matter. But maybe someday it'll come in handy if anyone gets stuck, or confused about anything in the game...? I dunno. Anyway, if anyone has any comments I'd love to hear them!

medic_wheat

Kabuki Klasher
I got the game because it looked good kind of like crossed sworde and hey it wasn't another fighter or shoot em up...but never finished it .... maybe this will get me to want to finish the fight....

Anyone know of good platforms similar to magican lord to play?

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I have a soft spot for it also. It is repetitive and if I don't play it very often I tend to get turned around towards the end. The floor with all the elevators and the enemys with machine guns you can easliy forget which one to do first. I sometimes skip a floor and can't make progress because I skipped something. Thats my only grip with it really. Props BBH for 1cc'ing it that really is ipressive man.:)

I'm lazy I like playing it with the ultimate knife.:lolz::D

medic_wheat

Kabuki Klasher
No... no it doesn't.....watched 12 minutes got bored skiped to the last 10 minutes was not impressed with the final boss...but at lest I know how it looks and the ending...

medic_wheat

Kabuki Klasher
Wait ultimate knif???? Do explain..

I like how he found a pattern .... I will master your technique master.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Wait ultimate knif???? Do explain..

You can select the ultimate knife in the Bios settings. Its cheating if you are trying to play it legit but, the Neo doesn't play fair lol.

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Ouaaa !
A very good work
Congratulation !

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
I have a soft spot for it also. It is repetitive and if I don't play it very often I tend to get turned around towards the end. The floor with all the elevators and the enemys with machine guns you can easliy forget which one to do first. I sometimes skip a floor and can't make progress because I skipped something. Thats my only grip with it really. Props BBH for 1cc'ing it that really is ipressive man.:)

I'm lazy I like playing it with the ultimate knife.:lolz::D

Well that's one of the points of the walkthrough on the site, to help people out in case they get lost in that stupid part of the game. Nothing worse than getting lost in this game because then it means having to fight extra enemies while you get your bearings straight. In the second building you're supposed to skip from floor 11 to floor 14 if you're trying to just finish it, the 12th and 13th floors are there for the brass knuckles but they're in no way needed to finish the game.

Using cheats is totally understandable, lord knows I used a lot of them to speed things up and get certain screenshots. By messing around with MAME's cheat engine I managed to find cheats that actually get rid of enemies entirely, so you can just walk around without having to fight anyone... it comes with a catch though, one of the spots in the memory is also used for the people you talk to / bosses you fight in doors, so you have to turn it off before you enter a door, or else the game locks up if nobody's in there...

And that was another thing I wanted people to know about, the hook punch loop! It takes a little practice to get down, but it's a completely legitimate way of doing good damage to enemies (especially bosses). I want people to understand there's more to this game than meets the eye.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
VERY nice site BBH. I also love this game. At one point I actually was making a mock video doing a Top 5 plays like COD but using Super Spy footage but never finished it.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I like the review (can't say I read it all though). It won't change my opinion on this game. Even if it was 10 times less repetitive, it would be too repetitive. But there's quite a few Neo games (especially the early ones) that everyone thinks are totally worthless, but I can find some fun in them.

Blondin

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Thanks for the guide and video, it's a great, great work! Makes me want to play again Super Spy... :smirk:

jepjepjep

King's Dry Cleaner
Nicely done. I was playing this game the other night and thinking how hard it is to play without credit feeding.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
I've only played this game a few times, many years ago.

It's an hour and twenty minutes, and that's if you know where you're going and skip extra rooms? Wow! I'm always impressed with arcade plays like this, because of how hard it is to keep up the concentration for that long.