THE VIDEO GAME MARKET HAS COLLAPSED

Curt

apostate
It's 2012, all your video games are nearly worthless pieces of paper and plastic and fond memories.

These past few months I've been selling everything, and getting the best prices I can, so I have a good idea of the market value of these classic games is. We're talking $5 Shenmues, we're talking $10 Final Fantasy 7s. This shit....theres practically nothing, UNLESS your TonK.

These games these days I'm lucky to get $6-12.

The market has collapsed, the value of these games (ie what collectors THOUGHT) is completely obliterated.

This is because of global fear, the economy, wars, and Cloud based and Games on Demand like Steam.

The Disc is Dead.

Those of us who bought $100,000 collections (like me) would have been better off buying a Ferrari because at least it would hold it's value and even appreciate.

This is a warning.

Get out while you still can.

Last edited:

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
Awesome. That means I can pick up some games that I've been wanting to play but as of yet have not bought because of the ridiculous price tags.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Wake me up when Custer's Revenge hits $5... I needs to impregnate me some injuns...

Curt

apostate
Awesome. That means I can pick up some games that I've been wanting to play but as of yet have not bought because of the ridiculous price tags.

You are wise, you see the other side of the issue.

For the consumer It could be a golden age.

For the collector. This is the end.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member

kekeke_large.gif

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
Amen to that, the collectors have only one true leader, and his name is Rotphungte!
Rot exists above, beyond, and outside of all things. Collectors claiming him as their leader is simply a desperate, death bed, attempt to legitimize themselves with his perfection by proxy.

Rot über alles.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I got out back in 03'. I'm good.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Death to the collector bourgeoisie.

This.

I am a collector, but for my personal satisfaction and enjoyment. I don't invest with the intention of turning it around and making a profit. Ever.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Collectors? I thought we bought games cause we loved playing them. I thought we kept them because we loved them so much we wanted to play them again, or at least we wanted to know they were there on our shelves as little trophies of our past. Who gets into gaming as an investment?

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Import shooters still hold their value relatively well. That's the only thing I really "collect" any more. Everything else I own is liquid and I'm simply not attached to any of it.

If I could get digital re-releases of said shooters that would give me the ability to play them without the use of an upconverter, I'd off them in a heartbeat.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
It's 2012, all your video games are nearly worthless pieces of paper and plastic and fond memories.

These past few months I've been selling everything, and getting the best prices I can, so I have a good idea of the market value of these classic games is. We're talking $5 Shenmues, we're talking $10 Final Fantasy 7s. This shit....theres practically nothing, UNLESS your TonK.

These games these days I'm lucky to get $6-12.

The market has collapsed, the value of these games (ie what collectors THOUGHT) is completely obliterated.

This is because of global fear, the economy, wars, and Cloud based and Games on Demand like Steam.

The Disc is Dead.

Those of us who bought $100,000 collections (like me) would have been better off buying a Ferrari because at least it would hold it's value and even appreciate.

This is a warning.

Get out while you still can.

Is OnLive paying you for this?

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I blame emulation.

The age of the hoarder ascends.

aria

Former Moderator
You only get into this for the fun, not for investment.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
yeah that's what they said about VHS tapes and now look at the price of some tapes. 120 bucks for a VHS tape from the 80s? Yeah fuckin right. Get all of the hard copies of games that you can is what I say. LET THE HOARDING COMMENCE!

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Collectors? I thought we bought games cause we loved playing them. I thought we kept them because we loved them so much we wanted to play them again, or at least we wanted to know they were there on our shelves as little trophies of our past. Who gets into gaming as an investment?

Truth.

If you're going to collect or did collect it should be stuff you love/loved regardless of value.

Also, Curt I saw most of the stuff you were ebaying and while a lot of it was good stuff it just wasn't really sought after by hardcore collectors. Did it really surprise you that your copy of Shenmue sold for $5?

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member

Unless your a frog...

Then you buy Neo Geo games because they are a status symbol and you think they offer a better ROI than other investment avenues.

I know most games I purchase will be worth not a whole lot in a few years, but I could personally care less as long as I had fun with it.

Getting out of the Neo AES scene was because I got too much into the investment mindset and said "fuck that" because it was a waste of time.

If any game I currently own happens to appreciate in value from when I bought it, then cool. I still don't sell any of them off no matter how much the value increases.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
yeah that's what they said about VHS tapes and now look at the price of some tapes. 120 bucks for a VHS tape from the 80s? Yeah fuckin right. Get all of the hard copies of games that you can is what I say. LET THE HOARDING COMMENCE!

Wait, is this actually happening?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member

Why? Not every collector is crazy about value, you know. Some of them just love the stuff they collect and even *gasp* play some of their games.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Last I checked prices on many older games were going up thanks to ebay silliness. Go look up Turbografx prices sometime.

Final Fantasy 7 and Shenmue are common as fuck, FF7 in particular seemed to have an artificially inflated value from Square fanboys for years. If you want some cash, I'd recommend selling some rare shit.

*edit* Also, LOL at buying video games as "investments."

Last edited: