THE VIDEO GAME MARKET HAS COLLAPSED

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Last I checked prices on many older games were going up thanks to ebay silliness. Go look up Turbografx prices sometime.

Final Fantasy 7 and Shenmue are common as fuck, FF7 in particular seemed to have an artificially inflated value from Square fanboys for years. If you want some cash, I'd recommend selling some rare shit.

*edit* Also, LOL at buying video games as "investments."

It's not just those games.

I was looking around on eBay last night, and anything that qualifies as "retro" has been inflated in value.

I was checking Dreamcast prices for certain Japanese titles that are fairly common...you have the idiots probably in Akihabara charging $50 or more for used copies.

There probably are a few idiots who are buying these games that those prices, which probably causes the sellers on there to keep the prices jacked. But holy shit, I don't know how they expect to move anything when some common DC game is overpriced to shit.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Wait, you can *PLAY* video games now too?!?!

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
people actually buy games?

i guess they dont know about the iso' & r0mZ....

;)

SSS

neo retired
This is a warning.

Get out while you still can.

That's awesome. Do I sense a little regret on your part? Maybe trying to get others to join your cause would make you feel a little better?

I never consider games an investment in the first place. When I grow weary of certain stuff I'll sell it.

I don't give a fuck if the Neo prices are going to plummet to the price of dog shit. I'll keep my MVS stuff as the world is engulfed by flames.

Besides a hyper mobo to the side of the head would kill any zombie.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Since when was Shenmue and FF7 rare? Those games carried higher prices for a small time due to Nostalgia, but they're common as fuck.

The rare games are still commanding good prices, but common games will always level out to common prices. If there were more than 10,000 made, it's not going to command a high price. For a time, anything retro was selling hot, and it's still doing OK. You gotta hit something while it's hot though. For a minute GameBoy Original was selling hot, but there are millions of those. Retro market is like any market.

I do agree the resellers are ruining the market. Anyone into Neo knows that. I don't think there are many Neo collectors left out there. There are those with Neo and those that are Reselling Neo (AES)

dedalusdedalus

Crossed Swords Squire
Well, FF7 has been trending downwards the last year or so for good reason. Firstly, it's ridiculously overprinted so there's never been any true scarcity. Secondly, demand for it has been supplanted not only by roms but also by PSN downloads.

You sold your Shenmue for $5? Then your auction just happened to close at the low end of the price range. I've seen good, complete copies go for up to $20 but occasionally they do end up at under $10 as your auction did. Shenmue is also another game that does not command any real scarcity.

In general, for truly rare and limited items, the market seems pretty robust. Turbografx has been crazy the last year or so, and the big 6 NES games have also appreciated handsomely. That's just off the top of my head.

Anybody though who sees video games primarily as a long-term investment is a damn fool. I'll agree with you that much.

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
Just when I thought game collecting couldn't get any more retarded, I stumbled across this a while back. Now this VGA shit is all over ebay.

http://vggrader.com/

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Wait, is this actually happening?

My mother and I collect horror movies from the 80s and some of those damn VHS tapes are fucking ridiculous, well probably not that ridiculous to people here since this is a Neo-Geo site. It's mainly the rarer VHS tapes though. Give it some more time though and I guarantee that it'll be more than just rare horror movies.

CrackerMessiah

Fu'un-Ken Master
I blame the internet.

But, then again, I always bought games to play. It just so happens that a few of them are actually worth something.

The sun also rises.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Is OnLive paying you for this?

Ahh that's right, I forgot he was that guy. It all makes sense now.

There is a difference between collectors & investors. A true collector, which I consider myself, goes for games they honestly WANT TO AND WILL PLAY. It's not there as my rainy day fund, it's there so when I want to play Bio-Hazard Battle, Project Justice, or Mario Party, I just walk to a shelf, grab the game, and play that shit LEGIT. It's not about the greatest or rarest, it's about what do I want to play. That's it. The current down resale market is great for getting those gems we've been wanting for years.

Anyone that treats pretty much anything that is a tangible item as an investment, there will be highs and lows. Pretty much everything is in a low. If there are any 62.5 year olds that sold their 401K off 20 years ago to invest in video game futures and Mushroom Kingdom derivatives, well, nuts to them.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Games ain't worth shit now because everyone has teh romz.

Igniz v2

whinny little kid, why r teens so angry, needs sec
lol @ referring to Cloud gaming as something that's currently supplanting anything. The idea is good and the execution almost great, except for the fact that there's input lag. Even in driving games it's bad enough, anything that requires even more precision is a total wash with onlive.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Anyone who buys video games and treats them like their price actually goes up deserves whatever they get, price-wise.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member

*fixed*

Funniest...Episode...EVAR! As soon as I saw that toaster and heard him say that he'd get 13k for it, I fucken lol'd hard. I lol'd even harder when he took Darell in to brag only to get $10 for a non-working system. Classic.

I like to have the original console in great working order and several games that I've loved playing over and over back in the day. For the games that I've always wanted to try, I have EverDrives for them. :D

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I don't even understand this thread.

Who in their right mind would look at video games as an investment? They're worthless.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
This thread is bonkers, if anything, the opposite is true.

I would like to direct everyone's attention to Earthbound on SNES. It's nuts now what the game goes for. $150 for the bare cart, as high as $800 for a mint CIB copy??? Many games of that era are worth a ton now. I've been trying to get into Turbografx 16 games lately, and the prices are sky high.

Even some PlayStation games are still very high, look at The Misadventures of Tron Bonne.

FF7 has taken big hit in value recently, partially due to the re-release on the PSN. The same thing happened with Chrono Trigger when it was re-released on DS. A SNES cart used to go for $60 or so before 2009, now it averages around $45.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
*fixed*

Funniest...Episode...EVAR! As soon as I saw that toaster and heard him say that he'd get 13k for it, I fucken lol'd hard. I lol'd even harder when he took Darell in to brag only to get $10 for a non-working system. Classic.

I like to have the original console in great working order and several games that I've loved playing over and over back in the day. For the games that I've always wanted to try, I have EverDrives for them. :D

heh- thanks for the fix- all of those auction shows blend together for me :D.

also dont forget- he didnt even have a power cord. yes, i understand he had model 001 (omg its teh rarez!!!!!!111!1!!!!1!)