The Weight of the Nation

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
So HBO had a documentary on just how fat America has become, the health impacts, how it affects children, etc.

I didn't intend to watch all four hours of it so quickly but I was pretty entranced. Of course everyone knows that being fat is bad for you, but it turns out I had a lot to learn.

That of course made me think about my own health. These days I don't exercise that much. I don't snack, but my diet is probably fairly bad (though it's not nearly as bad as some of the folks they had on the doc). But as some of you know by now, I'm a pretty huge guy. As long as I've been alive I've been a goddamned titan. When I was born the thing they use to measure babies wasn't long enough for me. In grade 7, when the girls typically out grow the boys for a while, I was by far the biggest and tallest. Even now I'm usually the tallest guy in the room at 6'5". More to the point, though, I'm 300 pounds.

I'll readily admit that that's overweight. I don't pretend to be in the normal range. But according to the BMI, the scale they use to rate obesity and whatnot, I'm massively obese with a rating of 35.9.

I find that ridiculous. If I wanted to fall under the very top end of 'normal' on the scale (23.7, to be precise -- 24.9 and under would be normal) I'd have to lose one hundred pounds. And that's just to qualify for 'normal'.

What a crock of shit. Here, take a look at me. I think I may have posted this pic before but here it is anyway:
ben-pearson-coquitlam-british-columbia-canada-le-noeud-papillon-bow-tie-luxury-theodore.jpg

As you can see I've got a bit of a gut, but do I honestly look like someone who's a couple of steps away from being morbidly obese (40 on the BMI scale)? Come on. I don't think so.

The only thing I can think of is the fact that I probably won't live as long as a typical person because of my sheer mass. My heart has to work harder, plain and simple, so I'll probably be dead sooner.

I dunno. I've felt the need to shape up recently but this BMI thing really annoys me. Maybe it's my ego talking, but still. To be fair the doc says that losing 5-10% of your mass leads to significant health benefits, so you don't need to lose massive amounts of weight to get healthier. I figure that's something to keep in mind.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
You're a nice guy, but you have more than a bit of a gut. If you're comfortable with that, then fuck it. But if you seriously want to lose some weight and lower your risk of heart attack, cancers, and diabetes, then don't make excuses for yourself. Change your diet. Drop all red meat completely, if someone says bacon, you stab them in the eyes with a fork and leave them die in a pool of your urine and fire. Put your foot down and tell yourself that the comedy is over, and that anyone who stands in your way of being a sex god will be killed.

Marek

Banned
The America is fat doc would depress me so I wont want to watch it. Ive seen several America is fat docs before and those depressed me too.

I have the other extreme of a body type (I am 6'2'' but it took work to put on 15 lbs and get to 175 from 160) and am working to try and reclaim an active physique, but my brother has a build like yours and a lot of my friends too.

The single best thing you could do for your overall health and fitness is joining a rock climbing gym and wearing your ass out 2-3 times a week. I'm serious. It beats the fuck out of a normal gym, and when you learn to use your lower body strength which I imagine you have a great deal of, it will get way easier and more fun. Your frame and reach is huge so you can make big time moves on the wall.

Rock climbing outdoors is a whole different kettle of fish. It is a lot of fun, but super dangerous in myriad ways.

But for getting into shape? I say fuck jogging unless its on a trail, fuck weight gyms about 90% of the time since I'd rather be outside.

Ninny it would be fucking rad if you started climbing/bouldering in the gym and posted before after pics.

You're a nice guy, but you have more than a bit of a gut. If you're comfortable with that, then fuck it. But if you seriously want to lose some weight and lower your risk of heart attack, cancers, and diabetes, then don't make excuses for yourself. Change your diet. Drop all red meat completely, if someone says bacon, you stab them in the eyes with a fork and leave them die in a pool of your urine and fire. Put your foot down and tell yourself that the comedy is over, and that anyone who stands in your way of being a sex god will be killed.

And this.

Last edited:

stormy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
10 Year Member
That documentary looks pretty interesting. I'm going to check it out.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
At 6', 200-210lbs so I fall in the overweight bmi category. I am. I don't really care though. Problem for me is definitely motivation. I rode my bike to and from work ~5mi each way for an entire summer and still didn't go under 200. This tells me that it is definitely my diet, but I don't really want to change what I eat. I also want to sit on my fat ass a lot.

Of course, if you want to change something, you just have to make it a habit, make it a habit to do some steady cardio, make it a habit to eat around 2000-2500 calories a day, my problem is that it is much easier to just keep doing what I'm doing.

I probably take in at least 4000 calories per week on average in just beer.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Rock/wall climbing is an awesome and fun workout for sure. But I have always felt people that want to get into shape and do pretty much zero physical activity outside on day to day thing need to start with very basic things. Stretching, body weight stuff like push ups, sit ups, crunches, pull/chin ups, jump rope etc. Start easy, these activities will serve you well no matter what condition you are in.

I think doing basic stuff like that will benefit Ninny a great deal, really anyone.

The BMI scale is fucked though.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,

Pretty much all I was going to say. It's an outdated way of measuring your health and probably never was entirely useful to begin with.

I'll have to check out that doc though. Is it on HBO Go?

HeartlessNinny

Pretty much all I was going to say. It's an outdated way of measuring your health and probably never was entirely useful to begin with.

I'll have to check out that doc though. Is it on HBO Go?

I'm glad at least a couple of you agree with that premise...

I wasn't trying to make excuses, I was just wondering exactly how much stock we should put in a scale that lists me as being close to 'morbidly obese.'

Anyways I don't know if it's on HBO Go, but they hyped the shit out of it and usually the things they hype wind up on there. So I assume it is (or will be).

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm glad at least a couple of you agree with that premise...

I wasn't trying to make excuses, I was just wondering exactly how much stock we should put in a scale that lists me as being close to 'morbidly obese.'

Anyways I don't know if it's on HBO Go, but they hyped the shit out of it and usually the things they hype wind up on there. So I assume it is (or will be).

If you don't care about your weight, why bother with the BMI? It says you're obese. You are. So it's working. The BMI works.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
BMI has its uses for mass data collection and trend analyzing

it can be antiquated and downright useless at times but it's been here since the early 1800's and it's unlikely to go away anytime soon

HeartlessNinny

If you don't care about your weight, why bother with the BMI? It says you're obese. You are. So it's working. The BMI works.

Does it? I don't think it does.

Clearly I'm a bit of a fat bastard but give me a break. I refuse to believe that I'm obese. My health, which is otherwise excellent, would seem to reflect this.

BMI has its uses for mass data collection and trend analyzing

it can be antiquated and downright useless at times but it's been here since the early 1800's and it's unlikely to go away anytime soon

It seems that for general trends it might be helpful, that much I don't doubt.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
change your diet to more fruits and veggies.. change your sedentary lifestyle and stand/walk more often instead of sitting down all the time.

and get some slacks.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
my abs are spectacular

Not really.

@Ninny. You can tell by your neck that you're carrying more fat than you should. You are a little over weight, but there's nothing wrong with that. Who cares if you're happy?

BMI doesn't take into account muscle. I am actually a little over weight according to BMI, so don't sweat it.

Last edited:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Statistically, you are morbidly obese. Do a half hour a day of cardio about five days a week. Watch reruns of antiques roadshow, shit passes really fast. I've been on this regime lately, and its worked great so far. I'm gonna hit the 30 wall in less then two years time.

Don't drop red meat. Enjoy food, just don't over eat and hit the cardio man.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Does it? I don't think it does.

Clearly I'm a bit of a fat bastard but give me a break. I refuse to believe that I'm obese. My health, which is otherwise excellent, would seem to reflect this.

It doesn't matter, dude. You're happy with yourself. That's what's important.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
If you want some inspiration you could always check out

http://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/

If you want to lose some weight perhaps you need to look hard at your diet and figure out if your portions are simply more than you need or if you're not eating enough "good" food.

I'm sure Average Joe and a bunch of people on NG.com could elaborate on exercise and diet, etc.

HeartlessNinny

Not really.

@Ninny. You can tell by your neck that you're carrying more fat than you should. You are a little over weight, but there's nothing wrong with that. Who cares if you're happy?

BMI doesn't take into account muscle. I am actually a little over weight according to BMI, so don't sweat it.

It doesn't matter, dude. You're happy with yourself. That's what's important.

You know what, you're both right. For some reason it really irked me to be classified as obese, but it doesn't make me want to run out to a gym and lose 100 lbs. I don't deny that losing a few pounds might be a good idea but I'm not exactly crushed with depression over my weight.

And not to brag or anything but I do think a lot of that mass is muscle. I can still easily move a fridge or something similar up a flight of stairs by myself, or some other feat of strength.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
North of 6 ft, & 300lbs isn't a problem...if the lbs are muscle.

Lifting free weights cured my fat problem.

Ymmv.

BMI is bullshit lie, on the strenth.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
This time last year I was 265...at a cunt hair under 6' tall...that put me with a BMI of 36.4. I can easily say I was obese. Now, at 185 I am down to a waist size of 32 (was a 38), my blood pressure is normal (was high at 140's over 90's) and my cholesterol is fine...

I work out nearly daily and other than a bit of stubborn belly fat, I am rather slim now. I've done quite a bit of weight training and have gained some muscle as well...according to online calculators, my BMI is 25.4... Which still puts me into the bottom of the "overweight" category....LOL!!!

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
This time last year I was 265...at a cunt hair under 6' tall...that put me with a BMI of 36.4. I can easily say I was obese. Now, at 185 I am down to a waist size of 32 (was a 38), my blood pressure is normal (was high at 140's over 90's) and my cholesterol is fine...

I work out nearly daily and other than a bit of stubborn belly fat, I am rather slim now. I've done quite a bit of weight training and have gained some muscle as well...according to online calculators, my BMI is 25.4... Which still puts me into the bottom of the "overweight" category....LOL!!!

Congrats dude. Were you doing p90x or something?

Marek

Banned
And not to brag or anything but I do think a lot of that mass is muscle. I can still easily move a fridge or something similar up a flight of stairs by myself, or some other feat of strength.

It definitely is, which is why you could be a freak athlete if you got after it.

Same with my brother. He is down to 220 from 260 and feeling better about it, but if he started climbing or playing rugby again and got down to 190-210 he'd be a fucking monster.