The Weight of the Nation

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
goddamn smokehouse is looking good. no homo. looks completely different.

arbormatt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
My wife(a serious running freak) got me into running last year. I do five miles each morning and usually 10 on the weekends. I have dropped about 40 pounds in 7 or so months. The greatest thing about running is the vast improvements to your cardiovascular health. When I first started I could barely run a mile without thinking I was about to die. If people are having problems with their feet or knees being sore they need to work on their form and probably change their shoes. You really should be using a running shoe and not a cross trainer or something. I am currently wearing Nike frees and I am really enjoying that line of shoes.

arbormatt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
lol running on pavement
We have a great river trail in my city that winds through the woods. The city was nice enough to clear a path and asphalt it. We also have great parks around the area. We do trail runs in the park on the weekend. The weekday path I take is great because it is literally two minutes from my house. I like cross country running but I don't want to do it everyday. I can't be bothered tripping over rocks and branches at 5:00 in the morning:) I had my first 10K trail run last year and that was a big eye opener. It was on a big farm going through corn and soy fields. The temp was 20 and massive amounts of wind. The first 3 miles were uphill and trying to run at a good pace through corn rows was an interesting experience to say the least.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Whats wrong with jogging? it can be done almost anywhere and its free?

Yeah, wataru is right. It's bad for your knees.

My knees are particularly bad, too. I have bad feet and therefore bad knees... And I've never been what you'd call a runner. I figure I might've made a good tight end in football but that's about it. Soccer would have been out of the question.

If nothing else comes up, I think I'll hit the pool tonight. I don't expect to lose any weight, since I don't intend to chance my diet much and exercise alone isn't enough to shed pounds, but more physical activity is always good.

I have to admit that even if I wasn't an athletic monster as a youth, I always felt large and strong. Lately I've felt that start to wane a bit, as you might expect at the onset of your thirties. I consider myself a confident person but there's always room for more. ;)

HeartlessNinny

Nice, I'll check it out. I just remember the trailer seemed interesting.

Here's the trailer for anyone who might be interested:

Looks to me like there might be no small amount of propaganda in that film.

I don't think anyone in their right mind is going to say that eating six cows a year is healthy, but to say that all cancer, MS, etc comes from your diet? Fuck that. That's not what the science says.

Seems to me that movie has nothing new to offer. Eat less meat. Okay, sure, everyone knows that. What else you got?

I suggest the HBO documentary instead. My BS meter lay silent as I watched it. I bet it might redline during sections of Forks over Knives.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
start doing pushups dudes

do 'em by the hundreds

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Looks to me like there might be no small amount of propaganda in that film.

I don't think anyone in their right mind is going to say that eating six cows a year is healthy, but to say that all cancer, MS, etc comes from your diet? Fuck that. That's not what the science says.

Seems to me that movie has nothing new to offer. Eat less meat. Okay, sure, everyone knows that. What else you got?

I suggest the HBO documentary instead. My BS meter lay silent as I watched it. I bet it might redline during sections of Forks over Knives.

Dude, you're comfortable knowing you can lift a fridge. Don't lie to yourself and think you're not going to get hypertension, diabetes, and prostate cancer cent per cent within a decade. The fix is in. Just embrace it.

HeartlessNinny

There is plenty of evidence -- an overwhelming amount -- that I'm at higher risk for those things. I'm not going to deny that.

But Multiple Sclerosis? I need some more proof there.

And the HBO doc says that the more massive you are the more at risk you are for cancer, but a doctor in that trailer said that no one would have cancer if we at like the Chinese 150 years ago. That sounds preposterous to me. If someone gives me some evidence I'll believe it but until then count me skeptical.

Marek

Banned

Dude you're comfortable knowing you can subsist on only vegetables and other non-animal products. Don't lie to yourself and think you're not going to end up the fascist dictator of a militarized nation, with a personal doctor shooting you full of amphetamines within the decade. The fix is in. Just embrace it.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
150 years ago Chinese folks ate very little meat, virtually no dairy, and consumed non processed, non factory farmed foodstuffs.

I'd believe they had less instances of cancer, even if I hadn't read Diet for a New America .

Going vegan can add many positive health results to your life.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
There is plenty of evidence -- an overwhelming amount -- that I'm at higher risk for those things. I'm not going to deny that.

But Multiple Sclerosis? I need some more proof there.

And the HBO doc says that the more massive you are the more at risk you are for cancer, but a doctor in that trailer said that no one would have cancer if we at like the Chinese 150 years ago. That sounds preposterous to me. If someone gives me some evidence I'll believe it but until then count me skeptical.

The idea is that most modern food is filled with preservatives which lead to diseases. Moreover, they focus on the increase in dairy consumption, in particular casein, which was shown through two different studies to link to cancer growth.

aria

Former Moderator
I wish we had an actual film club where we all watched a film like that and had a big discussion.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
The idea is that most modern food is filled with preservatives which lead to diseases. Moreover, they focus on the increase in dairy consumption, in particular casein, which was shown through two different studies to link to cancer growth.

what a lot of people don't seem to understand is that our food problems are just a symptom, the root cause being an economic paradigm which is based upon infinite, exponential, economic growth

until people really start to question that paradigm, high quality food will be pushed out of the market for favor of cheap, mass-produced garbage, so that we can maintain population growth, borrow until we've bankrupted 20 successive generations, and protect the interests of the financial elite (keep the music playing)

economics demand that this situation will only get worse until people wake up and have a eureka moment

or, i guess you could learn to grow your own food ... assuming you're independently wealthy and have the time to spare

alphagamer

Aero Fighters Flyboy
the root cause being an economic paradigm which is based upon infinite, exponential, economic growth

Infinite economic growth on a planet with finite resources... any schoolchild could see that it can't work.
/offtopic

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Infinite economic growth on a planet with finite resources... any schoolchild could see that it can't work.
/offtopic

unfortunately school children aren't making the decisions ... the people calling the shots have been thoroughly brainwashed by the holy priests of moneyhood

gotta feed the masses so that they can continue to devour natural resources and keep that GDP rising

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
unfortunately school children aren't making the decisions ... the people calling the shots have been thoroughly brainwashed by the holy priests of moneyhood

gotta feed the masses so that they can continue to devour natural resources and keep that GDP rising

I went to chipotle today and saw a couple that bought themselves burrito bowls and got old McDonald happy meals for their two kids. Start em early.

aria

Former Moderator
I loved McDs so hard when I was a kid.

It was hard not to.

I first learned how to use chopsticks as a kid during one of McD's "Chinese Chicken McNuggets" promotions.

EDIT:

Found a video from that promotion (I don't remember the "Shanghai" part, but they may have done this in different years):

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I LOL@VeganHealthNuts.com that really think they'll keep themselves from getting sick by diet control alone.....

And then bathe in carcinogens in the from pan ocean of plastics, chemicals in the water, the air, out clothes, everything they use. They get in a car made of carcinogens that spews waste gas that causes cancer, drive to an office where everything is treated with cancer causing fire retardant, breathe vapors fom the chimical treated carpet when they sit at a plastic desk all day. Then they expose themselves to a bath of radio waves fom all of the countless wireless devices they use or are exposed to constantly (stuff that we fully don't yet understand what long term exposure will do).

The HARD fact is that we are fucked when it comes to long term health. Diet is only one small piece in th puzzle. We are literally surrounded at all times by things that will one day kill us...

Marek

Banned
I LOL@VeganHealthNuts.com that really think they'll keep themselves from getting sick by diet control alone.....

And then bathe in carcinogens in the from pan ocean of plastics, chemicals in the water, the air, out clothes, everything they use. They get in a car made of carcinogens that spews waste gas that causes cancer, drive to an office where everything is treated with cancer causing fire retardant, breathe vapors fom the chimical treated carpet when they sit at a plastic desk all day. Then they expose themselves to a bath of radio waves fom all of the countless wireless devices they use or are exposed to constantly (stuff that we fully don't yet understand what long term exposure will do).

The HARD fact is that we are fucked when it comes to long term health. Diet is only one small piece in th puzzle. We are literally surrounded at all times by things that will one day kill us...

pwnd

Marek

Banned
It was hard not to.

I first learned how to use chopsticks as a kid during one of McD's "Chinese Chicken McNuggets" promotions.

EDIT:

Found a video from that promotion (I don't remember the "Shanghai" part, but they may have done this in different years):

LOL wow can you imagine if they tried to pull that nowadays?

My fondest memory of McDs were their robot food, by far

edit: And boom goes the dynamite - This thread now contains a fast food nostalgia sub-discussion

$(KGrHqQOKjQE5,71U1U+BO,VvC!FVw~~60_57.JPG

Last edited:

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Holy shit, I remember those food transformer thinggies, hahaha. I remember having that Happy meal guy.

Seeing that reminded me of these guys. They were fan-fucking-tastical...

27.jpg

Last edited: