The Wii U: Still looks like bullshit to me

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
How are they going to make it light enough? Seems awfully clumsy. Not for me either I guess.
Even the new Zelda wasn't enough to get me suckered into buying a Wii. I guess my crush with Nintendo is over.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Yeah, I'm not really sure WHO it's for. You can count me out as well.

I assume it's for the people who latched onto the Wii, because it clearly isn't for us (the hardcore gamers).

The thing is I'm pretty sure that the mainstream people who were briefly interested in the Wii in 2008 don't give a shit about this anymore. They're all playing Angry Birds on their iPads.

I think there's a good chance this thing is gonna tank, and I don't really care.

I guess my crush with Nintendo is over.

Same here. They aren't the developer they once were, that's for sure.

For a while I wondered if the Wii is what killed the magic, then I realized that all the best Nintendo games were made before 1997 (in my opinion at least).

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
im still probably going to pick one up- its supposedly going to be compatible with the wii-remote controllers and the classic controller. Also it supposedly isnt supposed to have all that 'online all the time' drm bullshit that will probably be on the next ps3 and xbox. this might be the last console that you could get a used game for.

im into wierd tech like this- there is potential with the hardware and im all for a new approach to gaming. will it work? who the hell knows, but i'll give it a shot.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Nintendo is pretty lax, overall, when it comes to modding and hacking of their consoles. There could be some really fun things done to these after release. Nobody here knows what it is going to be like when it finally gets released, or a year or two after that. There is probably better uses of your time than sitting around and hating on something that hasn't even been released yet.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I assume it's for the people who latched onto the Wii, because it clearly isn't for us (the hardcore gamers).

My issue here is that there are plenty of games for the hardcore set on that system. The problem is that the wii was accepted by seniors and small children alike and that doesnt sit well with the 'hardcore crowd'. Also yes, there is lots of shovelware on that system- but also there is lots of positives about it as well.

Nintendo is pretty lax, overall, when it comes to modding and hacking of their consoles. There could be some really fun things done to these after release. Nobody here knows what it is going to be like when it finally gets released, or a year or two after that. There is probably better uses of your time than sitting around and hating on something that hasn't even been released yet.

yes. thats the one.

Marek

Banned
Had to youtube wii u to see what its gameplay is even supposed to be.

edit: LOL its a console. Hahaha I thought it was their newest exercise game.

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Poor Wii is misunderstood. GunbladeNY & LAMachineguns are plenty hardcore, and only available outside of arcades on Wii.

Ironclad for the masses. On Wii.

Gradius Rebirth. Only on Wii.

It's not all gimmicks; there is some great neo-classic gameplay on the machine.

Hopefully, WiiHD (lol, sophomoric; I know) will have some pleasant surprises of the same ilk as Wii.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Poor Wii is misunderstood. GunbladeNY & LAMachineguns are plenty hardcore, and only available outside of arcades on Wii.

Ironclad for the masses. On Wii.

Gradius Rebirth. Only on Wii.

It's not all gimmicks; there is some great neo-classic gameplay on the machine.

Hopefully, WiiHD (lol, sophomoric; I know) will have some pleasant surprises of the same ilk as Wii.

Spot on Wataru. I'm not hating on the wii or wiiu myself, cannot deny the great library on wii. Here is my problem: I bought Metal Slug anthology years ago, the game doesn't support arcade stick or even classic controller, I believe you can use a gamecube controller, but I got rid of mine after getting a classic controller. I can't play slug with a wiimote.:oh_no:

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I remember the same things being said about the Wii on this very forum years ago... and then everyone went out and bought one eventually. Then M$ and Sony copied the gimmick.

Maybe it's super innovative and revolutionary?

Since you haven't seen anything except a tech demo and a youtube video, how can you form a concrete opinion?

I'll give them a chance. Nintendo has been revolutionary for YEARS and are usually far ahead of the curve (Wiimote, DS, 3ds, VB for a few examples) .. they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
The Wii isn't a worthless console, it's just the worst one this generation (by far).

As far as the laughably named Wii U goes, I just don't expect much from it. That's all.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I'll give it a shot. Fuck the Nintendo haters in this thread.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Nintendo is pretty lax, overall, when it comes to modding and hacking of their consoles. There could be some really fun things done to these after release

I know several people who want it just for that reason alone

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Even worse, they've already admitted this will be one of the weakest console launches in terms of game lineup.

I guess kudos for honesty, but this is pathetic.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I'll give it a shot. Fuck the Nintendo haters in this thread.

Hater? Just about the only damn game system I play that's not in my arcade room IS the wii! Mostly because of my son, but still. I love(d) Nintendo, and am really getting tired of their shit.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
SuperNES launches w/ 3 titles, one of which was SKEWERED in the press (remember when we had a legit gaming press? RIP Bill Kunkel) for running in slow motion: R•TYPE III.

No one looks back at the SuperNES as a pos today.

Let's wait & see...Big N might surprise us.

Last edited:

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
I've fallen out of it with nintendo ever since the N64, which was also the last system from them I played a lot for some niche 3rd party games( same with the DS which I got by it's second year in it's lite version )

I got the wii for my lady( and for No More Heroes ) and after the first half year it's become her way to watch stuff on netflix instant if I'm on the PS3

If Nintendo was more willing to work with 3rd parties instead of just relying on the fact we know they make triple A titles( which has been taking a dip here and there ) and letting crap infest their system left and right I'd be more willing to pay for their system and not feel cheated that I'll be getting 3 maybe 4 good games a year and that's pushing it if Nintendo does release more then 5 titles a year

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I'd really hoped that they would change the name. John Q. Public's going to get confused that this is a whole new console and not an add on to the current Wii. Just adding U is going to confuse the hell out of people. For me it's all about the games. They better wow us with things that the other two consoles can't do. If it's the same thing with lower quality graphics and a specialty controller that only Nintendo can make the best games for, then I'm out of it. They really need to get the 3rd parties involved to make some unique games and not just the same thing you can get on the other two consoles. That will make or break the Wii U for me.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Nintendo needs to release a next gen console and stop the innovation shit. Nintendo doesnt know how to innovate for a hardcore audience. Just make a xbox/ps3 type next gen console. Everyone knows those controllers only exist because they will break easily with stupid kids fucking with them, and cost a fortune to constantly replace. Nintendo is stupid.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Also, the reason the wii sucked was because the games were dumbed down to make that shitty motion control work.

When the honey moon of innovation ends you're right to ps3 or 360. I hate the wii because motion controls are not optional on many games, and the last thing I wanna do after a day of cardio, and a following shower is come back to my room and waggle my fucking hands around and get sweaty all over again. The wii to me was a step down from the gamecube, which IMO was a killer console.

Last edited: