The Wii U: Still looks like bullshit to me

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Nintendo needs to release a next gen console and stop the innovation shit.

Why ?

So that the next generation of consoles will basically be 3 of the same exact thing ? The only difference between the PS3 and 360 is the shape of the controller and a couple of exclusive titles.

At least Nintendo is trying to give gamers something different and I salute them for that.

Andy Is A Bastard

A Bastard, Andy Is,
I just...don't know what to think anymore. Call me old-fashioned, but I just want to sit there with my game and play. Innovation should be from the game you put in the system, not arbitrarily forced in by the nature of the system or controller.

I will not, however, outright condemn it until I see it in action. Nintendo can get a little leeway from me, but it's drawing thin as is. I think I may end up just sitting the whole next generation out, excepting maybe handhelds. Too much compromise from companies who don't know which consumer they want, let alone what that consumer wants.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
I like the potential of the controller honestly. I like what you can do on a mac via wiilly, and iheard a lot of DJs were usinga wiimote controller in some events.

This controller has me interested not so much from Nintendo but what hackers can do on other platforms.

Also, I personally think the wii could have had a bit more sales, if way more games were compatible with the classic controller.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
All this hate over an image of the Wii U.

Keep up the unwarranted whining, Ninny.

because it clearly isn't for us (the hardcore gamers).

lol

Last edited:

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I'm pretty undecided on this machine; on the one hand, there's innovation for the sake of bettering the experience, and then there's innovation for innovation's sake. I'm thinking this one falls in the latter category; this tablet controller seems like something that's being done to say that Nintendo can do it, and maybe to trick all the smartphone/tablet gamers into thinking "here's the same experience at home!".

We shall see I suppose, although I'm with cdamm in hoping that this 'online all the time' nonsense doesn't creep it's way into the Wii U like it sounds will be the case for MS and Sony's offerings. If that's the way it goes down, then Nintendo will probably get my money in the end.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Why ?

So that the next generation of consoles will basically be 3 of the same exact thing ? The only difference between the PS3 and 360 is the shape of the controller and a couple of exclusive titles.

At least Nintendo is trying to give gamers something different and I salute them for that.

They could never be three of the exact thing, because nintendo has unique IP's. I mean like on par with it. A standard controller, a normal fucking machine. No nonsense gaming. They did it with the nes, snes, 64 and cube, they can do it again and be relevant.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'll give it Nintendo to try something new...but more often than not, they fail.

Movement based games are ok at best. Let's face it, a 20 min golf/baseball/bowling/whatever sports sim may be one thing but sitting there on your couch trying to wave two tethered controllers around in the air like a convulsing retard for hou
Rs attempting to play "real" games like Mario, Metroid or Zelda is plain stupid.

I had a Wii...I honestly gave it a shot...and it failed to impress me in the slightest. Games were either short, interesting for 20 min simple titles or longer titles like Mario that forced you to use two motherfucking controllers for movement based controls...and I despised it. Most keep their for the retro games but truth be told, I have most of the games they emulate for real...I don't need a Wii for that...

The "U" looks just as gimmicky...and that absurd controller is just that...absurd. Like stated before, that thing is asking to be broken...is probably awkward as hell to use as an actual controller and I'm sure will cost an arm and a leg to get another one or replace if broken.

You could use the "don't knock it until you try it" line but I can tell you, I'm sitting here typing this on an iPad and I sure as hell would not want to use this thing as a controller...

I'm sure Nintendo will sell a billion of the damn things but that means jack shit to me, McDonalds sells billions of burgers but it doesnt make them good...

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Not only did I hate the wii for the gimmicks, but I also lost a lot of respect for sony/microsoft for aping the exact same thing the wii does.
And for what? Nintendos slice of the pie? The toddler/senior citizen/soccer mom demographic?

That's like 2 rich douchebags in a ferrari curbing their ride and robbing a hobo for his garbage bag collection....

And YES controllers are for HARDCORE gamers, motion controls are for dipshits. Ninja Gaiden 3 for example...is a horrible game that is compatible with motion controls and the hardest difficulty setting is tedious and unforgiving as fuck....show me a youtube video of someone beating such a game by waggling 2 dildos in front of a screen and I will show you the only person on earth who has and ever will do such a thing.....if you have the intention of mastering a game, you won't be doing it with motion controls; I can promise you that much.

As for this new console, IDGAF. Party games, exercise games for grandma, puzzles for autistic kids and rehashed n64 titles aren't interesting anymore.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the great memories,
But suck a dick, nintendo.

And die quietly.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Not only did I hate the wii for the gimmicks, but I also lost a lot of respect for sony/microsoft for aping the exact same thing the wii does.
And for what? Nintendos slice of the pie? The toddler/senior citizen/soccer mom demographic?

That's like 2 rich douchebags in a ferrari curbing their ride and robbing a hobo for his garbage bag collection....

And YES controllers are for HARDCORE gamers, motion controls are for dipshits. Ninja Gaiden 3 for example...is a horrible game that is compatible with motion controls and the hardest difficulty setting is tedious and unforgiving as fuck....show me a youtube video of someone beating such a game by waggling 2 dildos in front of a screen and I will show you the only person on earth who has and ever will do such a thing.....if you have the intention of mastering a game, you won't be doing it with motion controls; I can promise you that much.

As for this new console, IDGAF. Party games, exercise games for grandma, puzzles for autistic kids and rehashed n64 titles aren't interesting anymore.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the great memories,
But suck a dick, nintendo.

And die quietly.

I could not agree more.

Nintendo sold so many Wii consoles because they sold video games to this who don't like video games. I'm not bashing this but as someone who actually likes real games, the Wii is not for me. Sony and MS were simply dumb enough to try to copy the Wii. Most of the gaming public simply replied with *yawn* and a few morons bought into it.

I'm on this site because I like real video games...I didn't join this site to discuss dance dance revolution. Years ago I bought a N64 but very quickly landed up selling it for a Playstaion. Why? Because I didn't want gimmicky bullshit games with a shitty controller. I wanted meaty titles like Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo, Castlevania SOTN, Mega Man 8, Resident Evil and all of the other in depth, real "gamer" type of games. Ironically, I did the same with my Wii and bought a PS3 so I could play titles like Fallout...a game Nintendo will never have the nuggets to have on one of their consoles because A. It doesn't use some funky, bullshit, gimmicky controller, B. doesn't run on lame, 12 year old outdated/underpowered hardware and C. Isn't cute enough to appeal to an 8 year old or geriatrics ward resident.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
They could never be three of the exact thing, because nintendo has unique IP's

Ya, but the very few exclusive titles to each console would be the only thing that separates them.

Back in the day, the consoles use to have very little overlap, almost every console in it's generation's entire library was exclusive titles. That's part of what made the 16-bit era so awesome. The Genesis, SNES, NG and TG16....all of them had 95%+ exclusive games to that console in their library.

The 3rd Party makers actually tried because they knew that game reflected on it's unique console. Make an awesome game, more people buy that console. The game makers and console makers had that kinda relationship where good games mattered.

Now ? It's mostly about shoveling out a game to every console, who gives a shit what console it sells on, so long as a few million people buy it combined...win.

Another reason I like Nintendo, they keep it mostly 1st Party, old school.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Nintendo sucks ass now.

But I'm still going to be an idiot and buy this.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I love Nintendo, but I think I've gotten past the point where I care about new console hardware. The PC care of Steam (and Steam sales) has made a convert out of me...And then being involved with arcade games and cabs has stolen all that home console money as well ;)

I hope Nintendo hits this one out of the park though!

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
The Wii isn't a worthless console, it's just the worst one this generation (by far).

As far as the laughably named Wii U goes, I just don't expect much from it. That's all.

The Wii has never been a next gen console, it was just an upgraded Gamecube with the "coolest" controllers in town. They've never tried to sell it as a next gen console, it wasn't even 720p capable for god's sake. The Wii never tried to reach 360 and PS3 audience, it was just the other way arround with kinnect and those PS3 dildos.

Personnaly, I never really cared for the Wii until about a year and a half ago when I've seriously played some games like DK Returns and Mario Galaxy. I don't know why but I only play Wii games nowadays, my PS3 and 360 are collecting dust as I'm discovering the Wii library. I've downloaded the new Castlevania, Gradius and Contra on the Wiiware, they're cool. I just don't feel like playing billion dollars HD games anymore, I still have to open my copies of the 2 last Assasin's Creed and I've bought brotherhood when it came out :lolz:

Also, I've sofmodded my Wii last week, Mednafen, SNES 9X GX, VBA and Mame are running pretty much every game I like. No really, the Wii isn't that bad. Getting all those 8-16 bits games in 240p without spending a billion dollars in carts, modded systems, cables and whatnot is pretty cool :)

About the Wii U, I'd say, I'm interested in that new Zelda but that's it for now, we'll see.

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Also, I've sofmodded my Wii last week, Mednafen, SNES 9X GX, VBA and Mame are running pretty much every game I like. No really, the Wii isn't that bad. Getting all those 8-16 bits games in 240p without spending a billion dollars in carts, modded systems, cables and whatnot is pretty cool :)

240p, you say? Hmmmmmmmm...

*contemplates JAMMA-fying a Wii*

Yes; yes, that sounds like the ticket!

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
How about this for an agreement: You make a post worth reading and I'll make a worthwhile reply.

Why does the Wii U look like bullshit to you? Just one picture and you think it's bullshit without having even played its games? You're chockful of negativity.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
I remember being excited for E3 last year because Nintendo was going to announce a new console that was supposed to be for hardcore gamers, then they announced that it was another Wii, and I was extremely disappointed. Just ignoring the unconventional controller (which may end up being good or bad), this thing just seems underpowered. Nintendo is just now catching up to what 360 and PS3 have been doing for 5 years, which means that Nintendo is still behind the curve really.

I don't know why they do things the way they do, but I will have to seriously consider whether I want to spend money on another Nintendo console just to play Nintendo games.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Still waiting for the software to be announced. If the Wii U also require online connection like all the others, I'll be sitting it out just as well.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Anyone who plays a console, Wii or not, for anything more than the games fails so damn hard at living.

If a console has good games, I'll buy it. End of story.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Why does the Wii U look like bullshit to you? Just one picture and you think it's bullshit without having even played its games? You're chockful of negativity.

Well I have seen the live demos they've had (I believe they debuted the console last E3), though I didn't mention that. So I'm not coming at this from a total place of ignorance.

But to me the worst thing about the Wii is that goddamned controller. When I first saw it I thought it looked kinda cool, and I wonder what sort of games I'd be playing with it. Well, as it turns out, very few of them are made better for the waggle control. With almost every Wii game I play I always think to myself, "Man, I wish I could play this with a normal controller."

The Wii U is clearly taking the concept of a 'novelty' controller (for lack of a better term) and running with it. They're doubling down on the concept, and that doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that it'll be something I want to play.

I could be wrong. Maybe it'll be awesome and I'll love it. But because of my experience with its closest console relative, I doubt it. And as you can see by reading this thread, I'm hardly alone. The most glowing praise for the Wii I've seen here is, "Well, it's not that bad!"

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Well I have seen the live demos they've had (I believe they debuted the console last E3), though I didn't mention that. So I'm not coming at this from a total place of ignorance.

But to me the worst thing about the Wii is that goddamned controller. When I first saw it I thought it looked kinda cool, and I wonder what sort of games I'd be playing with it. Well, as it turns out, very few of them are made better for the waggle control. With almost every Wii game I play I always think to myself, "Man, I wish I could play this with a normal controller."

The Wii U is clearly taking the concept of a 'novelty' controller (for lack of a better term) and running with it. They're doubling down on the concept, and that doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that it'll be something I want to play.

I could be wrong. Maybe it'll be awesome and I'll love it. But because of my experience with its closest console relative, I doubt it. And as you can see by reading this thread, I'm hardly alone. The most glowing praise for the Wii I've seen here is, "Well, it's not that bad!"

+1

Last edited:

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member

I don't even get that far; I think about playing a game, then go do something else because it seems like more trouble than it's worth to use those annoying Wiimotes. I fear the Wii U will be more of the same: more trouble than it's worth to play. I'd probably just end up doing what I do now when I want to play Nintendo...turn on the SNES and use a PROPER controller. Killer games like Xenoblade and SIn & Punishment seem too few and far between to make it worth turning on the system.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I dont give it to nintendo for trying new things. New isn't always better, and the version of 'new' they push is just gimmick that wears off and loses its appeal. I have nothing I am dying to play and my wii has sat. No other console I owned has sat this much. The best game it had was punch out wii. That was the best Nintendo release since F zero gx. A lot of wii exclusives look great, but forget it. I'm not battling those controls.

The tenchu wii game was so needlessly complex, I was in 'fuck it' territory 30 minutes in, and you're hearing a dude whine who loves tenchu.. I am not making the same mistake with the wii u. Something designed for kids, so that parents can take over with their movies and kids can stay glued to games via a controller screen. That's not new or innovation, anyone could have thought that up. There are other better ways to innovate. I have no interest in waggling anymore stupid nintendo shit, and the wii was the ultimate sell out betrayal junk.

Hardcore fans put nintendo on the map, not our grandparents who suck dick at games. I don't like the 'me to' generation, and want gaming to be something you earn your stripes in. Nintendo should just make two consoles. One for this shovel ware scrub generation, and the other people who pursue the deeper aspects of gaming and want depth. You can make money and maintain a broad audience. Both the 360 and ps3 did it, and nintendo needs to get real and be a real force. I want to WANT to badly play that next game and not be irked on new controls I'm gonna hate. This trend sucks and the WII U is the worst name for a console ever.

Seriously. When people are kissing its ass because the launch titles are great, have at it. I'll be sitting it out, because I know every game that drops thats not a main title from them will most certainly be garbage. All this complex needless crap is stupid, and Nintendo could easily hold up just following suit for once and delivering a console that is intellectually accessible. I hated playing certain wii games that could have been such better game, but due to the shitty wiimote, the games themselves were like dublo blocks landing in a rubber room. Tired of that crap. A great example is super monkey ball. My absolute favorite gamecube game, and a masterpiece of a game. It rewards dedication and hard work. What did they do with a series that took some balls? They went and scrubbed it out, and made the two wii games garbage. The first was hard, but it was hard in a 'wii' way. They also added jumps. The second game was literally a joke and made for that garbage balance board. A awesome series wasted and ruined by dumb gimmick trash.

Come to think of it, I've sat out of every zelda since twilight princess, and the only reason I've played twilight princess was because I was smart and got the gamecube version, which is easily superior to the wii one due to BEING ABLE TO USE A CONTROLLER. The DS is guilty of BS to, and all my favorite games on it do not revolve around the touch screen. The zelda ds title I didn't even give a shot, because the touch screen is a key element in it, and guess what? That's not fun. If I wanna fuck with touch screens, I'll go to a bank and do it. Not at home when I wanna play games am I gonna go through that. Its needless frustration that's a total turn off, it dumbs down games that'd require more skill and be such better games if they followed the controller lineage. People need to question this shit more and be like 'why am I even going to this length, is this contributing anything more gratifying?' Nintendo is a embarrassment now, and honestly, maybe miyamoto needs to take a break. I'm sick of his dumb smile, he knows what hes capable of and has become completely complacent.. I love his series and all, but hes just cashing on IP's. Hes a one man capcom sach's now. Dude's a genius, but its time to take some of these series in a more hardcore direction, or at least TRY to take a risk that'd be rewarding. I've done that shit since I was a kid, I wanna see it finally evolve. All the sickest games are going this direction, and thank god, and man have they created good memories. There are countless examples of this on PS3 and 360.

Playing that shit safe forever will make people stop caring. Either get some balls miyamoto, or end up a big cliche, because that direction is almost certain now. Marquee Nintendo titles are not as big a deal as they used to be, and that really sucks.

Also, what the hell does it matter if the game is good, if PLAYING IT is a daunting task? Good games are good because they have something to offer and are fun to play, but I don't find battling my hardware to ever be a fun experience, and no good game will justify it. God, imagine if that wii shit had lasted and you had to move your character in Diablo 3 around with the fucking wiimote. Gaming is supposed to be relaxing, and I don't buy game consoles to work out. My routine is separate and that isn't the funnest aspect of my day. I've clashed with Ninny and got on his case for whiney threads, but hes on point completely with this one, because I could and would write all day on how shitty the wii was, and I'm doing it on a keyboard, which I don't have to wave around the screen.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
goddamn I wanna play Mischief Makers and Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
As soon as I see a game I just have to play, I'll be buying.

But just like the Vita it may take awhile.