Time to talk about handhelds OTHER than PSP and DS

Crissaegrim

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I've been getting into handhelds lately. I plan on getting The two newest ones, but this past week I picked up a brand new Lynx and Game Gear.

I've always liked what the Lynx was capable of hardware-wise since I played a friend's system alot years ago. The one I got, although brand new and in factory new condition, has a ton of dead pixles, at least I assume that is what they are. There are little light blue dots that never change. Fortunaltely, I can't really see them while playing a game since they blend into the game graphics and only stand out in certain situations.

Does anyone know if this is common for the lynx? I got the first version, but I am also interested in the second version. Can a system have that many dead pixles right out of the box or can it be from age? I read on TZD that the factory new Turbo Express might have a few dead pixles, but I was under the impression that it would be like two or maybe three at the most. I know the Nomad has replacement screens, does the Lynx have something similar.

Oddly enough, my biggest problem with the Lynx are the carts. They are really cool, a bit like the Turbo cards, but they have that curved part on the end which makes it impossible to stack them up. How do you guys store them. I would love to line them up on a shelf somehow.

As far as the Game Gear goes, I haven't recieved any of the games yet, but I've read that it has a blurry screen. Does this really make it difficult to play?

I don't have much experience with handheld systems. I never got into them because, even though I loved the idea of the original Gameboy, I found it to be incredabley uncomfortable to play and Im wierd, in that I prefer to play them in my lazyboy with the ballgame on as oppossed to out in the world.

Not factoring in battery life, which systems do you think are the most comfortable to play. The ones that you can see the screen well and not have to struggle to play physically?

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
The Nomad and the Turbo Express are two of the better ones out there.

I was not really impressed with the game gear or the lynx. I bought them both when they first came out but never really got into either one.

I have always enjoyed the GBAsp and just picked up the DS.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Crissaegrim said:
I've been getting into handhelds lately. I plan on getting The two newest ones, but this past week I picked up a brand new Lynx and Game Gear.

I've always liked what the Lynx was capable of hardware-wise since I played a friend's system alot years ago. The one I got, although brand new and in factory new condition, has a ton of dead pixles, at least I assume that is what they are. There are little light blue dots that never change. Fortunaltely, I can't really see them while playing a game since they blend into the game graphics and only stand out in certain situations.

Does anyone know if this is common for the lynx? I got the first version, but I am also interested in the second version. Can a system have that many dead pixles right out of the box or can it be from age? I read on TZD that the factory new Turbo Express might have a few dead pixles, but I was under the impression that it would be like two or maybe three at the most. I know the Nomad has replacement screens, does the Lynx have something similar.

Oddly enough, my biggest problem with the Lynx are the carts. They are really cool, a bit like the Turbo cards, but they have that curved part on the end which makes it impossible to stack them up. How do you guys store them. I would love to line them up on a shelf somehow.

As far as the Game Gear goes, I haven't recieved any of the games yet, but I've read that it has a blurry screen. Does this really make it difficult to play?

I don't have much experience with handheld systems. I never got into them because, even though I loved the idea of the original Gameboy, I found it to be incredabley uncomfortable to play and Im wierd, in that I prefer to play them in my lazyboy with the ballgame on as oppossed to out in the world.

Not factoring in battery life, which systems do you think are the most comfortable to play. The ones that you can see the screen well and not have to struggle to play physically?

You should get a Sega Nomad. Terrible battery life, but you can put it on AC power or get a rechargeable battery pack or rechargable batteries. And it plays all the classic old Genesis games, tons of great ones to choose from. Besides that system, the others are pretty disappointing. I didn't like the Lynx much myself, and the Game Gear is pretty weak IMO. For the new systems, the PSP looks very interesting, but I'll reserve my judgement for when it comes out.

EDIT: The Turbo Express was a pretty good system too, but again had terrible battery life.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
Also...the Nomad had a controller port for a second player and you could connect it to a TV. Great system with some great features that did not fair very well :confused:

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
I read few about the GP32, anybody else care to share more info on specs, and experience if they've had/own the syste.

I love the ngpc, it's just a must have.

The SP is an amazing system, if the buttons were a bit different like those in the normal gba or something like that the feel would be excelent. the buttons in the sp, remember me of those in the 1st NES controller, wihch with time can get pretty useless and hard to use. But so far with the sp's i've played this problem doesn't seem to appear.

i already played the DS, it looks interesting. as for the psp, i'll reserve my judgment until i get to play it...

One time my friend and I finished Gunstar Heroes on a Nomad. Well actually I played with the Nomad, and he had the 2nd controller plugged into it, viewing the same Gunstar Heroes video on my Turbo Express via the tv tuner. We'll never forget that...

The Nomad is required for any Genesis-type that also likes portables. Trouble is, you may have to wedge paper between the cart and the back of the slot, to avoid it from crashing on you.

Turbo express... again this applies to you TG16 lovers... you must own one. And with the TV tuner... i'll tell you, it has the strongest tuner I've ever known from a TV.

The Lynx is one of the most comfortable systems ever designed. Nice big DPAD and large buttons. Some great shit on that system.

I never liked the Game Gear... teh screen was a bit too washed out for my taste.

GBA SP... class act portable. One of the finest (but a bit too small for my tastes) portables ever.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Cant forget the NGPC... some of the best funnest games ever released on a handheld and the only one with a unique thumb pad...

As u can see in the pic below... I have most of the releases!! :)

Awsome

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
My lynx also has dead pixels straight out of the box many many of them that you don't see if you hold it at a certain angle while playing.
Game Gear is a great system yes the screen is blurry but not intolerable so for most games.
I don't like the screen on the Nomad but thankfully it can be hooked up to a television.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
fenikso said:
I don't like the screen on the Nomad but thankfully it can be hooked up to a television.

You are being generous.

The screen on the Nomad is SHIT. As many people hate on the GBA and GBA SP for having crappy screens, they still don't compare to the asstastic quality of the Nomad screen. But I guess that was the compromise to try and get the Nomad on the market at a reasonable price.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
broken said:
You are being generous.

The screen on the Nomad is SHIT. As many people hate on the GBA and GBA SP for having crappy screens, they still don't compare to the asstastic quality of the Nomad screen. But I guess that was the compromise to try and get the Nomad on the market at a reasonable price.

Actually I pretty much agree with you. Its a shame someone couldn't come up with a commercially available, high-quality handheld system that plays Genesis games, and has a bright, clear, non-washed out screen. I have a Nomad, and I remember that I would constantly fiddle with the brightness adjustment to get a decent screen image, and it never really looked that hot. But considering the time it came out and the pricepoint, it was probably the best they could do back then. :annoyed:

nE0ty26

n00b
Agreed.....i still play my nomad to this date...even tho the power connecter is all messed up. Luv playin Sonic genesis games.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Crissaegrim said:

The Game Gear was a great portable at the time. It was far superior to the Game Boy IMO. The screen could have been better. While bright, it appeared washed out and was a little slow to refresh. It also had a TV tuner add-on. Unfortunately, I don't have the TV tuner.....how well does it work?

C.A.R25

Genjuro's Frog
I thought that the ultra thin version of the GB was better than the GG because it was much more portable... the GG is too large IMO... but the GG gave me a better gaming experience especially when you compare games like Mortal Kombat, the GB versions could not compete IMO.

The screen is kina washed out, but I understand because such were things in the past.

RyuKenAkuma

Rugal's Thug
I love Handhelds There my favorite systems I Have Gameboy Game Gear NeoGeo Pocket I want to collect all the handhelds or atleat asmay as i can but cant find them anywhere but I think Neo Geo Pocket is the best. :multi_co: :multi_co: :multi_co: