Top 10 arcade games

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
Hi, interested to know what are your top 10 favorite arcade games?

Here is my list:

-SSF2T (for me the best version of SF2)
-DK (classic that I would have hated when I was kid but great game nowadays)
-Puzzle Bobble (or maybe Puzzle Bobble 2 but anyways puzzle game that is easy to play and fun)
-Sega Rally (Sega just nailed it how the car handles)
-Raiden (great music, difficulty is okay)
-Metal Slug 3 (for me the best version of MS)
-Xmen VS Street Fighter (I like SF2 and Xmen franchises so when this came out it was a must play. Also one of the first arcades I could finish with 1 credit)
-Time Crisis 2 (I like this more than House of the dead 1 or 2)
-KOF98 (for me the best version KOF)
-Decathlete (for nostalgic reasons. I don't know if I would play this anymore :D)

Played all these except DK in the arcade when I was a kid.

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Tobe! Polystars
Bubble Symphony
KOF 2002
HotD - Model 2 (not Saturn)
SF Rush the Rock
D&D : Shadows over Mystara
Evil Night
Pulstar
Splatterhouse
Dirt Dash

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
No particular order...

TMNT 1 - because it’s a good game

Moonwalker - because it’s a good game

Street Fighter 2 CE (fucking hate T. Hawk) - because it’s a good game

Final Fight - because it’s a good game

Terminator 2 (gun game) - because it’s a good game

Terminator 2 (pinball) - because it’s a good game

Afterburner 2 - because it’s a good game

Virtua Fighter - because it’s a good game

Virtua Cop - because it’s a good game

Virtua Racing - because it’s a good game

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
In no particular order:

Neo Geo games:
  • Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
  • Fatal Fury Special
  • King of Fighters 98
  • King of Fighters 95
  • Breakers Revenge

Tecmo:
  • Ninja Gaiden

Capcom:
  • Marvel Super Heroes
  • Street Fighter III: Third Strike

Psikyo:
  • Daraku Tenshi The Fallen Angels
  • Sengoku Blade

Bonus Round: Metal Slug 2/X or Strider 1&2

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Point Blank
Sega Rally
Outrun
Sonic Blastman
Double Dragon
UN Squadron
Street Fighter 2
Wonder Boy
Gauntlet
Shinobi

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Point Blank
Sega Rally
Outrun
Sonic Blastman
Double Dragon
UN Squadron
Street Fighter 2
Wonder Boy
Gauntlet
Shinobi

shit I forgot Point Blank. Probably because I think of it as a PS1 game since that's what I play it on

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
This thread has a distinct lack of Galaga.

I loves me some Galaga.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Garou Mark of the Wolves
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike
Guilty Gear Xrd Rev2
The King of Fighters XIII
Donkey Kong
WWF Wrestlefest
TMNT Turtles in Time
Samurai Shodown II
Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection
Golden Axe

Edit: Thought it might be interesting to have another top 10 list of arcade games you actually played and enjoyed in your local arcade rather then at home.

Donkey Kong
WWF Wrestlefest
TMNT Turtles in Time
Samurai Shodown II
Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection
The King of Fighters '96
Tekken Tag Tournament
Pole Position
Altered Beast
The King of Fighters XI

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member

I know that! What I was trying to convey is that I prefer Champion Edition instead of Super Street Fighter 2 because I hate T. Hawk and he is not in CE.

That’s why SF2CE is in my top 10 and SSF2 is not.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I hate list threads where people don't explain why

I played them in the arcade/on console and loved playing them. The End. What, you want a wall of text going on about the technical aspects of each game? I guess I can rehash old arcade stories if that makes you feel better.

Donkey Kong - 1st game played at Venture always sucked at it
WWF Wrestlefest - used to instigate bounties ($.50) to elimate assholes abusing shit
TMNT Turtles in Time - no good story
Samurai Shodown II - Got ass kicked by wise older player bitched too much. Sage told a story of cutting chicken heads off for fun. Never bitched again
Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection - Tourneys in '05 got me into Tekken again. Also made me switch mains after getting destroyed
The King of Fighters '96 - Aladdin's Castle mgr switched crappy old neo game with this when he bought a big red from a store. Store had 2 big reds at the time
Tekken Tag Tournament - friend beasted someone. Guy was ready to start a fight suddenly realized how many friends my friend had. Talked shit while walking backward out the door
Pole Position - my intro to racing cabs
Altered Beast - dad had to force me off of it a bowling alley to go bowl
The King of Fighters XI - watched people drive 2 hrs to the arcade just to take pictures and play this.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I hate list threads where people don't explain why

Blame the OP! I just listed the games I kept coming back to in the late 80s / early 90s. After school I'd usually ride the bus into town and meet my dad at his work. There was a small arcade in between the bus stop and his office. By "small" I mean it was the size of a hole in the wall takeout place and had one row of 3 or 4 machines at any given time. They would rotate games regularly and seemed to always have quality titles and somewhat obscure games like Salamander and the original Street Fighter. After my dad finished work for the day and I did my homework we'd usually go to the pub next door. They had a pool table and an arcade game that would get switched out every couple of months. That's where I first saw a 4 slot Neo cab (Euro version, not a big red) and other cool games I remember playing but a lot of the titles have faded from memory.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
In no particular order - and I'm sure I'm missing some. All I play is arcade style games now-a-days.

- Fatal Fury Special
- King of Fighters 98
- Street Fighter Zero 3
- Virtua Fighter 2
- Daytona USA
- SCUD Race
- Real Bout Special
- Vampire Hunter 2 (or, begrudgingly, Savior)
- King of Fighters 95
- Progear

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Okay I know it's crazy, but seeing 2 people putting Fatal Fury Special on their top 10 list and never getting the chance to play this online anymore makes me sad. Too bad XBLA version isn't that popular.

Edit: Nevermind kharma heard me bitch and decided to give me some online games. Reason why I don't screw with kharma. It loves to prove me wrong.

Last edited:

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
hard to narrow down to only 10 games, but here goes

Mark of the wolves (Best game on the neo?)
KOF 98 (best version of my favorite fighting series)
SSF2T grandmaster challenge (Loved SF2 since I was a kid and this is the best version of it)
Progear no Arashi (regret selling this one lol I need to get another one)
Ghouls N Ghosts (Another one I regret selling but ive played the hell out of it and its platformer perfection)
Dodonpachi (wish I could afford a PCB of this game, my favorite shmup)
Time Crisis 2 (love me some light gun games and I often go to a local barcade just to play this one)
Mario bros (Own this cab and its always fun to see what kind of score I can put up)
Mortal Kombat 2 (Played the hell out of this game at a skating ring back in the day. Had a group of friends that would meet up just to play, fuck skating lol)
Killer instinct (This game blew my mind as a kid and the combo system is still my favorite to this day)

Alpha Troll

War Room Troll
Turtles in Time
The Simpsons
Street Fighter 2 (other versions suck)
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat 2
Mortal Kombat 3
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Galaga (the only good shooter ever)
Legend of Success Joe
Riding Hero

I'm basic.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Top 10

1) SF2 Hyper Fighting - Its the best arcade fighter ever

2)Daytona USA 2 -Its the best arcade racer ever

3)Point Blank 2 - Its the best light gun game ever

4)Wrestlefest - Its the best wrestling arcade game ever

5)Mike Tyson Punchout Playchoice 10 - Its the best Nintendo game ever

6)Super Mario Bros Playchoice 10 - Its also the best Nintendo game ever

7)Galaga - best shmup ever

8)Puzzle Bobble- best neo geo game ever

9) Atari Tetris - Best arcade puzzle ever

10)Basketball Arcade Machines, the one where the hoops move - Best basketball arcade game ever

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Most Played, not necessarily top 10

1. Galaga- used to play this all the time, when the new cabs with Ms. Pacman/ Galaga came out in the early 2000s, I used to play this every time I saw it.
2. Smash T.V.- When I got my first job I got paid every other week. One week I would buy a Genesis game, and the next week I would go and play Smash T.V. at Aladdin's Castle.
3. WWF Wrestlefest- Loved this game, again used to play it a lot at AC.
4. Street Fighter Champion Edition- I was more of a SF than Neo-Geo fan. Honestly didn't really get into the Neo that much until my university had a Neo machine at the school arcade.
5. Champion Baseball- Probably the first video game I really played a lot. The Wildwood boardwalk down the Jersey Shore had this game at an arcade and I loved it. I was always disappointed the Phillies weren't in the game.
6. Simpson's Arcade- Loved this game, and played it whenever I could. The local mini golf place had it, and I never passed up on a chance to put a quarter in.
7. Donkey Kong- Loved this, my swim club had one in the snack bar where I got my water ice. I don't know how we never got electrocuted playing this game in a puddle of water.
8. Bust A Move- The Wildwood Boardwalk had this everywhere. My college had this in their four slot as well.
9. San Francisco Rush- Loved this game when it came out, played it alot.
10. Ms. Pac-man- Probably the most ubiquitous arcade game, put a lot of quarters into it. Super Pac-man is probably my favorite Pac-man though.
10.+ Daytona USA- Still one of my favorites
10.+World Heroes 2- My friends used to love playing this at a local bowling alley.
10+ Star Wars - Still holds up to this day

Honorable Mentions- House of the Dead, Confidential Mission, Track and Field/Hyper Sports, Virtua Fighter, Mortal Kombat 2, X-Men arcade, Donkey Kong 3, Super Pac-man, Q-Bert, Crusin' USA, Street Fighter 3, Scud Race, TMNT, NBA Jam, that 80s NFL Laserdisc game, World Series Baseball Go to the Dream Park, Virtua Tennis, Crazy Taxi, Marvel Super Heroes, Outrun

Last edited:

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Garou - Too many awesome times playing this with good people. Both real life friends and quite a few from these boards over the years too. Just a great game.

KOF 98 - Same as above

Outzone - Toaplans finest and one I always seem to throw in the cab and beat on a regular basis.

Dodonpachi - To me it absolutely lives up to the hype.

Progear - Again, worth the hype, and a killer aesthetic.

Blood Bros - I love this genre of games and this is my favorite of them. Largely because I have memories of playing it when I was a kid, but also I think it has the best execution of the mechanics that make this genre. The roll for example, perfectly done. Other games in this arena the roll or equivalent often feel clunky or the invincibility frames aren’t what they should be.

R Type - This one is iconic for so many reasons and is my favorite of the older memorization based shooters. I know there are plenty of Gradius fans but for me this is the must have old school shmup.

Galaga - Really one of the only early (pre 1985ish) arcade games that holds up for me. Gameplay wise most of the golden era arcade games get boring pretty quick, but Galaga is always worth putting a quarter into a machine.

SF2 Vanilla - I have zero fucks given about this game now. That said, when SF2 came out it had a lasting effect on us that are about my age for tons of reasons. To be fair, I think Mortal Kombat was a big deal too but SF2 was first and gets the nod here.

House of the Dead 2 - Close call between the first one and the second. Honestly the dreamcast port makes me give it to 2. Spent a ton of time on both the arcade and DC and it still holds up as best light gun game.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
In no order and just off the top of my head:

Espgaluda
Robotron
Space Zap
Twin Cobra/Kyuukyoku Tiger
Final Fight
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo/X
Arkanoid
Karnov's Revenge/Fighter's History Dynamite