US Citizen married to immigrant? No stimulus for you.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
https://www.latimes.com/world-natio...oronavirus-stimulus-checks-spouses-immigrants
In Baltimore, Ashlee Ramirez, a registered nurse in an emergency room, has spent the last month helping to intubate COVID-19 patients. With her hospital short on protective gear, she has spent her own money on materials to make masks and face shields as well as on heavy duty garbage bags in case gowns run out. But she has yet to receive any economic stimulus money, even though her husband, Fredy, a Honduran citizen, received a Social Security number in January.

“What does it mean when I pledge allegiance to the flag?” she said. “It’s supposed to be justice for all. I feel like that flag that I love so much has not stood for justice for me and my family.”

The CARES act has a carveout where US citizens married to non-citizens will not get money. Seems incredibly cruel, and a violation of equal protection.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
That's pretty fucking shitty...

It's kind of amazing that that in this day and age we could have 1st and 2nd class citizens.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
There are so many wrong things here. And the worst thing is, the worst, is that a sizeable amount of Americans don't see anything wrong with this. I was talking to a Chinese friend today, someone who's a party member even, and they told me that when they were young and growing up they thought America was the envy of the world, a land of hope. But it isn't any longer. And honestly I couldn't argue with her.

Imagine coming from a country, immigrating here, raising a family...and still getting treated like shit just because they weren't born here.

This is an issue I think about very often.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I wonder if you can submit an amended 2019 tax return to become eligible. Not sure if you can change your filing status for an amended return though.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
"This large group, as the Los Angeles Times reported, is made of American citizens who file taxes jointly with a spouse who uses an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number—an identification the IRS issues to workers who don't have a Social Security Number."

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought people here on work visas or are green card holders can get social security numbers. This is just for clarification's sake.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
"This large group, as the Los Angeles Times reported, is made of American citizens who file taxes jointly with a spouse who uses an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number—an identification the IRS issues to workers who don't have a Social Security Number."

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought people here on work visas or are green card holders can get social security numbers. This is just for clarification's sake.

You can for both. The Visa needs to be a work visa, though. Those who are here on a tourist visa, student, etc cannot apply for a SSN.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
That’s pretty fucked.

Can we waive the citizenship fees and make it significantly easier to become a citizen?

Open those borders, son!

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
That’s pretty fucked.

Can we waive the citizenship fees and make it significantly easier to become a citizen?

Open those borders, son!

Well, you don't HAVE to be a citizen according to the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

"A1. You may be eligible to receive a Payment if you:
- Are a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien;
- Cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return;
- Have a Social Security number (SSN) that is valid for employment (valid SSN); and
* Exception: If either spouse is a member of the U.S. Armed Forces at any time during the taxable year, then only one spouse needs to have a valid SSN
- Have adjusted gross income below an amount based on your filing status and the number of your qualifying children."

So it looks like it excludes undocumented immigrants or those that are here on non-work visas. You can argue the merits of those exclusions, but it is not doing a blanket exclusion of ALL non-citizens.

Last edited:

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
My wife is not a US citizen, but we got our chump bucks. Was the issue here that the spouse was not issued a SSN in 2019?

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Was did he file for taxes in 2019 or was he a dependent on his wife's taxes, I guess. I mean, the media rarely cares about details, they just fine the angle and yell RACIST whenever they can.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
One of my friends is also married to a Japanese woman, and I know they got their chump bucks too. I'm the last person who will ever defend anything the dumbass in chief does, but curious to know what other variables are in play here.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Maybe the treasury could give money to everyone in the world so no one's feelings are hurt.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I filed through my accountant. My wife is a green card holder with a ssn. We got nothing. So.........

How far do you want to dig your heels on this?

If you don't get anything, You should see if you can get your $1200 credit when you file your 2020 taxes.

Or maybe you made too much money.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
If you don't get anything, You should see if you can get your $1200 credit when you file your 2020 taxes.

Or maybe you made too much money.

Not last year. Since getting married I have been working a lot less and traveling more.

We don’t need it, as I have a lot of cash on hand, but logically we should have received a check at the very least, I mean, we don’t make as much as HDR’s wife.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I wonder if people who make too much this year but got a check based on last year's income will have to pay it back.

Not last year. Since getting married I have been working a lot less and traveling more.

We don’t need it, as I have a lot of cash on hand, but logically we should have received a check at the very least, I mean, we don’t make as much as HDR’s wife.

You should should bring it up with your accountant when you file next year.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I wonder if people who make too much this year but got a check based on last year's income will have to pay it back.

You should should bring it up with your accountant when you file next year.

By all means the checks should be considered income, and thus taxed.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
How far do you want to dig your heels on this?

I'm not understanding the question. These examples in the article will never be vetted, or explained from within the qualifications on the IRS site. The news article isn't interested in explaining what provisions were or were not met, instead to write the story in such a way that says the government is treating people from other countries badly.

Even the person talked about in the quote in the op is a non-story. It says she has yet to receive anything, and then there's that quote about the flag. There are users on this very forum that haven't gotten anything yet, but they aren't going to the media to cry about how the government hates them.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm not understanding the question. These examples in the article will never be vetted, or explained from within the qualifications on the IRS site. The news article isn't interested in explaining what provisions were or were not met, instead to write the story in such a way that says the government is treating people from other countries badly.

Even the person talked about in the quote in the op is a non-story. It says she has yet to receive anything, and then there's that quote about the flag. There are users on this very forum that haven't gotten anything yet, but they aren't going to the media to cry about how the government hates them.

There are definitely issues that many people are missing their checks for, with varying reasons, but here people are claiming they did their taxes, they paid Uncle Sam, and because one of them doesn’t have a SS, or has a EIN instead of an SS, that they are denied.

For you it’s a non story, and that’s fine. But did you get a check? Are you married to a non citizen? And if so, which country? Do you have a dog in this fight?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
By all means the checks should be considered income, and thus taxed.

It is my understand that they will appear as a credit on your 2020 taxes.

If you qualify for a credit and never received a check, then you should be able to claim the credit on your taxes.