Vermont Legalizes Gay Marriage

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I didn't mean to (even if you were dead wrong about the reason for institution of marriage).

Anyone with half a brain knows why marriage was created. I'm not going to be like others and get on my horse and say why it's morally wrong, the church is against it, you're going to hell, blah, blah, blah.

Bottom line is that marriage between a man and a woman was created for a reason.

Then again...didn't that fairy somewhere get pregnant?

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Anyone with half a brain knows why marriage was created. I'm not going to be like others and get on my horse and say why it's morally wrong, the church is against it, you're going to hell, blah, blah, blah.

Bottom line is that marriage between a man and a woman was created for a reason.

Then again...didn't that fairy somewhere get pregnant?

Financial gain and social status right?

Oh please say Im right, please please.

ulasamosa

Astra Superstar
1195207545774.jpg

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Jeeze, and I thought that you would tell me where you got that 70% statistic from.

It's more than that because marriage is an institution and one of the reasons for it is to provide stability. Since the gay lifestyle is predominantly promiscuous, it will not provide the stability to do things like raise a child, build a house, etc.

Marriage was created as a means to set standards for the the transfer of wealth and property.
Somehow, I don't think that is what you meant by "Stability".

aria

Former Moderator
Vermont is probably embarrassed because Iowa managed to beat them to the punch.

It's like feeling all cool because you got the latest technological gadget, some sort of iPhone-like super-thing that you can explain in exacting technical detail, and you've brought it to a gathering of your favorite friends that you want to impress...only to find out that your rube cousin from the sticks already has it, and in his own folksy way, charms everyone with his lay explanation of how he thinks it works before you can show them your own. Damn you, Gordy, damn you to hell.

ulasamosa

Astra Superstar
You obviously cared enough to click on the thread and post.

I say "who cares" cause it doesn't matter what people do. People need to be able to do what they want. I could care less about someone being gay. Good for them, it doesn't make them a bad person like so many people seem to think.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Marriage was created as a means to set standards for the the transfer of wealth and property.
Somehow, I don't think that is what you meant by "Stability".

How many broke ass people do you know in their 30's to 50's that are broke and stable?

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I say "who cares" cause it doesn't matter what people do. People need to be able to do what they want. I could care less about someone being gay. Good for them, it doesn't make them a bad person like so many people seem to think.

You should've just typed that up in the first place.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
How many broke ass people do you know in their 30's to 50's that are broke and stable?

So being poor = you fuck around a lot.

Wizkidian logic in a new package, I like this new guy.

aria

Former Moderator
Time is the friend to equality.

The US in particular has a uniquely strong bond with it.

It's been mentioned before, but great quote.

The majority of Americans don't want this gay marriage crap hence the reason the other 46 states don't want any part of it.

What makes the eggbert account problematic is he states all sorts of things without any serious backing.

As in, its easy to take apart the above comment by reading a newspaper:

New York, New Jersey, Maine and New Hampshire are among the states where such proposals have gained legislative support in recent months.

(source)

Meh, love and equality bother some people way too much.

aria

Former Moderator
Before the whole (inevitable) argument over whether two consenting adults have a right to form a legally recognized contract for tax, inheritance and health benefit purposes (what did you think legal marriage was, anyway? There's a separation of church and state in this country), I just wanted to say:

Of the two decisions, Iowa was the bombshell.

Vermont was pretty much expected, and suited the nature of the state. Iowa was almost out of left field (unless you take into account sometimes odd tendencies of the upper midwest), and the ruling is in no danger of being overturned anytime soon because (1) the legislature and governorship are in the hands of Democrats not interested in fighting the ruling and, (2) even if they wanted to, amending Iowa's constitution to add a clause (let alone a segregation clause) takes a minimum of two years --and Iowa isn't filled with the sort of passion you find in states like Alabama. Basically, the Iowa ruling is pretty much lodged right in the middle of the Midwest (granted the Upper Midwest is different than the central and south), and its going to start influencing the neighboring states.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
its going to start influencing the neighboring states.

Except Missouri where giving less rights to gays has been part of our state constitution for almost 5 years now?

Will the Obama administration make a push against DOMA?

Isn't that the only thing stopping homosexual couples married out of state (in places such as Iowa and now Vermont) from having their unions recognized by state who don't allow gay marriage?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Vermont is probably embarrassed because Iowa managed to beat them to the punch.

It's like feeling all cool because you got the latest technological gadget, some sort of iPhone-like super-thing that you can explain in exacting technical detail, and you've brought it to a gathering of your favorite friends that you want to impress...only to find out that your rube cousin from the sticks already has it, and in his own folksy way, charms everyone with his lay explanation of how he thinks it works before you can show them your own. Damn you, Gordy, damn you to hell.

Before the whole (inevitable) argument over whether two consenting adults have a right to form a legally recognized contract for tax, inheritance and health benefit purposes (what did you think legal marriage was, anyway? There's a separation of church and state in this country), I just wanted to say:

Of the two decisions, Iowa was the bombshell.

Vermont was sort of expected. Iowa was almost out of left field, and the ruling is in no danger of being overturned anytime soon because (1) the legislature and governorship are in the hands of Democrats not interested in fighting the ruling and, (2) even if they wanted to, amending Iowa's constitution to add a clause (let alone a segregation clause) takes a minimum of two years --and Iowa isn't filled with the sort of passion you find in states like Alabama. Basically, the Iowa ruling is pretty much lodged right in the middle of the Midwest (granted the Upper Midwest is different than the central and south), and its going to start influencing the neighboring states.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/04/will-iowans-uphold-gay-marriage.html
Nate Silver has some insight into what actually pushes gay marriage.

I don't necessarily agree with his modeling (it only has to do with public votes on the issue).

I think the most overlooked factor is the percentage of non black/hispanic population and the average/mean age of the population. I could see some interior western states approving gay marriage before the coastal "Liberal" states.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Except Missouri where giving less rights to gays has been part of our state constitution for almost 5 years now?

Will the Obama administration make a push against DOMA?

Isn't that the only thing stopping homosexual couples married out of state (in places such as Iowa and now Vermont) from having their unions recognized by state who don't allow gay marriage?

Not really... Some might argue that DOMA was already covered under the 10th.

Some states have to recognize such marriages...

NY (by court case and executive order)
DC (by legislation subject to overide by congress)

Also, does MO recognize heterosexual marriages if they are performed in a language other than English?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Also, does MO recognize heterosexual marriages if they are performed in a language other than English?

I thought you just had to get a certificate from someone at the county (or city in the case of STL) to get married?

English is "the language of all governmental meetings" in Missouri.

So whatever that means.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Wow...my partner and I just moved into a new place this week after loosing my job last month so I missed this discussion entirely over the last few days (only have internet at my new job). It just makes me sad there is so much unfounded hate in the world. I dont need a wedding ring or a contract saying I love somebody and am commited to them, but for so many it is an important right to be looked at as legaly binded, and I dont think anybody should be denyed that right. There is no destruction of any religion or "family values" given to the legal binding of two men or two women; any destruction that would cause is solely in the mind the person rallying against it. Many American's once believed the hate, slavery and mistreatment of thoes of African American decent was tolerated using the Bible as a reference point...shit, there are still thoes that believe that, and that makes me uber sad. Same for GLBT peoples...like a post earlier stated, it's all a matter of time.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
I thought you just had to get a certificate from someone at the county (or city in the case of STL) to get married?

English is "the language of all governmental meetings" in Missouri.

So whatever that means.

Thats all we had to do. They do a little ceremony thing with a notary to make it official.

You apply for the license, wait 48 hours, come back with it signed, they sign it, you pay the fee and they give you a copy of the official certificate.

Not exactly the religious or ceremonial thing a lot of people think it is. Its a contract.

EDIT: They dont even do blood tests anymore here, so its even easier.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Thats all we had to do. They do a little ceremony thing with a notary to make it official.

You apply for the license, wait 48 hours, come back with it signed, they sign it, you pay the fee and they give you a copy of the official certificate.

Not exactly the religious or ceremonial thing a lot of people think it is. Its a contract.

EDIT: They dont even do blood tests anymore here, so its even easier.

Why the fuck would they do a blood test in the first place?

How much was the fee?

PS: Marriage not being a religious ceremony is sort of the point - it is a contract. There is no reason two dudes or two women shouldn't be able to enter in to that contract.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member

How much was the fee?

PS: Marriage not being a religious ceremony is sort of the point - it is a contract. There is no reason two dudes or two women shouldn't be able to enter in to that contract.

They still do blood testing in some states. They used to do it so they could tell people with incompatible blood types never to have kids for fear of health problems.

If I remember right it was around $90 and I think the ceremony thing cost like 10 extra and then each copy of the certificate you wanted extra was 15 or something. They also dont take debit cards at the court house so take cash if you ever go. :oh_no:

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Why do I read threads like this, they just make me angry.

Jediwhateverthefuck and eggbert. You are bigots. You're no better than Klansmen. Shut the fuck up and peddle your ridiculous antiquated obsolete nonsense views somewhere else, for fucks sake.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Why do I read threads like this, they just make me angry.

Jediwhateverthefuck and eggbert. You are bigots. You're no better than Klansmen. Shut the fuck up and peddle your ridiculous antiquated obsolete nonsense views somewhere else, for fucks sake.

Go back to Canada fairy!! Errrr....nevermind.

:lolz:

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member

How much was the fee?

Alabama does a blood test still, but its for Syphilis.