Vermont Legalizes Gay Marriage

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
g. They also dont take debit cards at the court house so take cash if you ever go. :oh_no:

:oh_no:

Local governments suck. It's pretty much cash/check only at my local DMV ("License Bureau"). Oh, they do take American Express. WTF?

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
:oh_no:

Local governments suck. It's pretty much cash/check only at my local DMV ("License Bureau"). Oh, they do take American Express. WTF?

The one we got ours updated at took MasterCard, American Express and some of the smaller brands.

But not Visa.

Had to run across the street to use a fucking ATM.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Just call it civil unions and give them the same benefits.

It's all in the word.

I agree with Nes.

I'd be for eliminating marriage as a legal term. Make marriages called civil unions (whether straight or gay.)

Go get a civil union and then have a marriage ceremony elsewhere if you're so inclined to do so.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
I agree with Nes.

I'd be for eliminating marriage as a legal term. Make marriages called civil unions (whether straight or gay.)

Go get a civil union and then have a marriage ceremony elsewhere if you're so inclined to do so.

That was always the point innit, 'cos civil unions don't receive social security benefits if spouse dies, don't get visitation rights, etc.

But if you strip marriage from the legal definition then the heteros are gonna protest that they're being robbed of an 8 character word. And if they don't protest Bill O'Reilly will be sure to stir up a "war on marriage" false controversy as he did with his "war on Christmas" bullshit.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
That was always the point innit, 'cos civil unions don't receive social security benefits if spouse dies, don't get visitation rights, etc.

But if you strip marriage from the legal definition then the heteros are gonna protest that they're being robbed of an 8 character word. And if they don't protest Bill O'Reilly will be sure to stir up a "war on marriage" false controversy as he did with his "war on Christmas" bullshit.

Yeah, but I don't care if their feelings will be hurt.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Just call it civil unions and give them the same benefits.

It's all in the word.
"We'll call them... butt buddies!"

That line made me crack the fuck up, big time, and especially all the more so given that it would have been Governor Owens saying it (now we have a Dem who's an idiot, which is saying a TON coming from me). 'Cuz he would have.

have you completely given up on females?
Only the kind who don't know when to shut the fuck up and make me a sandwich and SUCK ON MAH CAWK (/merc) while I eat it.

ViewtifulZFO

Street Hoop Star
To clarify: call all unions "civil unions", including male/female relationships.

Marriage should be specifically for churches/religious institutions, etc. to give out.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Vermont is probably embarrassed because Iowa managed to beat them to the punch.

It's like feeling all cool because you got the latest technological gadget, some sort of iPhone-like super-thing that you can explain in exacting technical detail, and you've brought it to a gathering of your favorite friends that you want to impress...only to find out that your rube cousin from the sticks already has it, and in his own folksy way, charms everyone with his lay explanation of how he thinks it works before you can show them your own. Damn you, Gordy, damn you to hell.

:rolleyes:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
lol goooooo southtownkid! the sworn protector of all that is good and fair on the internets!
I'm in the middle of my own taxes at the moment. This is the first year that in addition to my wife's and my joint return, we also have to file a separate return for our small business, which is proving complicated as hell. And that's while both of us are still getting slammed by outlandish self-employment taxes. All of this has put me in a state of advanced ill-humor.

So when Archie Bunker comes in here and suggests getting rid of tax breaks for married couples just for the sake of maintaining his xenophobic sense of superiority and intolerance, yeah, it lit my fuse. If this thread had happened a few months after tax day, I might have been more inclined to type one post and move on. Eh, or maybe not. Who knows.

Marek

Banned
Is it too early to ask them to decriminalize ganja as well?

I'm sure the farmers would love growing hemp.

Giga Power

Host for Orochi,
Riddle me this SouthTownKid, if there are no monetary benefits and marriage is just a religious institution, then why does an atheist (who has no religion, unless you consider atheism a religion) or a homosexual (whose beliefs do not align with a religion, so most likely is not a part of a religion) want to be married?

I'm an atheist so I'll bite.

Personally I don't want to get married. I've been with my girl for almost six years and everything happens to be fine. She feels the same way I do.

But for people that DO want it, like gays, I think it's because they view it as something that they have to do in order for their relationship to mean something. Which is fucking retarded.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member

Personally I don't want to get married. I've been with my girl for almost six years and everything happens to be fine. She feels the same way I do.

But for people that DO want it, like gays, I think it's because they view it as something that they have to do in order for their relationship to mean something. Which is fucking retarded.

Not the argument at all. And no, I'm not gay. I just happen to understand politics, for the love of God.

And be a liberal, yes.

This thread is still awesome, yes.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

You don't want a tax break, medical rights, inheritance rights, and all the rights that come with being in a "marriage" ?

Giga Power

Host for Orochi,
Not really. I mean there's some really great reasons to get married (all listed above) but a possible divorce can turn those great reasons right around on you. Especially if you happen to be a male.

In all honesty the only thing I really think is great about it is inheritance. Which is really why we have marriage in the first place. But as of now I don't have any kids.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Not really. I mean there's some really great reasons to get married (all listed above) but a possible divorce can turn those great reasons right around on you. Especially if you happen to be a male.

In all honesty the only thing I really think is great about it is inheritance. Which is really why we have marriage in the first place. But as of now I don't have any kids.

You state those are all great reasons to get married but also state:

I think it's because they want access to those rights that come with marriage.

You are right in that you don't need some piece of paper to declare how happily in love you are with another person.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member

Prenup. Marriage is a contract and you can set the terms.

Giga Power

Host for Orochi,
Yeah, but it's way more of a social issue than it is the pros that come from being married. Straight couples in our society can get married while gays are not. They just want equal rights.

Something else to point out is that most married couples in my state get married because of a child born out of wedlock. Then statistically they get divorced. Everyone wants to bring up how marriage is this glorified institution but they like to ignore the fact that it fails half of the time.

Meanwhile we aren't allowing people who actually love each other and want to make a long term commitment to do just that.

It's fucking insane.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah, but it's way more of a social issue than it is the pros that come from being married. Straight couples in our society can get married while gays are not. They just want equal rights.

Something else to point out is that most married couples in my state get married because of a child born out of wedlock. Then statistically they get divorced. Everyone wants to bring up how marriage is this glorified institution but they like to ignore the fact that it fails half of the time.

Meanwhile we aren't allowing people who actually love each other and want to make a long term commitment to do just that.

It's fucking insane.

Are you saying homosexuals want equal rights only so they'll be "equal" but not because they want to make use of those rights (ie all the beneficial parts of a marriage contract.)

???

Last edited:

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
In hetero-marriage, the guy always gets rimmed in the ass come divorce court.

So, in case of a same-sex marriage divorce, who is the judge going to nail to the wall ?