What are some good Twilight Zone episodes?

The Drizzle

Whip's Subordinate
I just watched an episode of the Twilight Zone last night called "The After Hours" and it was fucking awesome. Part 1 is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mhv9cJa2g0 watch it.
Exactly the kind of weird shit I like to watch. Can anyone recommend some top episodes for me to check out as I'm sure theres a bunch of shitty ones out there.

PopeCuervoLime

Avid Neo-Expert
15 Year Member
To Serve Man

The one where the earth changes its orbit and goes closer to the sun and these 2 chicks in an apartment go mad.

The one with Burgress Meredith and the end of the world; his glasses, etc.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
106 "He's Alive": Dennis Hopper

123 "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet": William Shatner. Made for great parodies and Antrhax Music Vid.

146 "I Am the Night—Color Me Black":

111 "Printer's Devil"

127 "The Old Man in the Cave"

"Two" with Charles Bronson and Elizabeth Montegomery. The last two humans on the planet who were on opposing armies as well.

"The Lonely": Jack Warden plays a prisoner on a desert moon, in a future where 'prisons' are isolated deep space moons/planets that sustain 1 person. Fucking bleak man. This is my all time favorite episode.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
I don't know the first episode title, so you'll have to research that on your own

1. One of the episodes I watch was a man who woke up shaving, then set out to look for other people. He seems convinced that he is not the last man on earth, because every now and then he'll come across some thing that could only be done by some other individual, but whenever he comes upon the scene, no one is there.... and he's slowly starting to lose it.

2. The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street is a classic episode, it's a bit heavy on the Communist cell paranoia metaphors, but great nonetheless.

3. Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder, another great classic.

4. Time Enough at Last for some reason has always been considered a great classic episode, but I haven't discerned any particularly deep meaning from it, still, one marvels at the special effects that went into a post-nuclear fallout landscape.

The Drizzle

Whip's Subordinate
I think the writers of this show just asked people to tell them about their most fucked up dreams and made them into episodes. They're so awesome.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
bokmeow said:
4. Time Enough at Last for some reason has always been considered a great classic episode, but I haven't discerned any particularly deep meaning from it, still, one marvels at the special effects that went into a post-nuclear fallout landscape.

See gift of the the magi

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
The one where the bank worker gets the ability to read minds is good too, I have no idea what its called though.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
norton9478 said:
106 "He's Alive": Dennis Hopper

WIN!

And the one when those people on the planet get rescued and the one dude stays back.

And the one with the dude and the books.

And the one with the 5th floor.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
TonK said:
WIN!

And the one when those people on the planet get rescued and the one dude stays back.

And the one with the dude and the books.

And the one with the 5th floor.

Problem with He's Alive is that it's one of the Hour long ones..... So it doesn't get shown as much.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
I don't remember episode names:

-The one with the woman in her shack being terrorized by tiny robots from outer space
-The one where the old woman receives phone calls from her dead husband
-The one with the clown, the soldier, the bum, and the ballerina trapped inside a circular room
-The one with the former SS Officer revisiting Auschwitz and goes insane from ghosts
-That one with the crazy twist ending
-That other one with the crazy twist ending

Fuck every episode is good in some fashion.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Buro Destruct said:

-The one with the woman in her shack being terrorized by tiny robots from outer space
-The one where the old woman receives phone calls from her dead husband
-The one with the clown, the soldier, the bum, and the ballerina trapped inside a circular room
-The one with the former SS Officer revisiting Auschwitz and goes insane from ghosts

How about a 'spoiler alert' before you post the one about the phone calls :emb:

Twilight Zone had lots of creep out episodes. It was my childhood bogeyman.

There's that episode entitled simply "The Hitchhiker." Was pretty cool that they incorporated that into the Twilight Zone pinball game as the bumper bonus feature.

Then there's this episode about a woman who couldn't leave the station 'cos of the heavy torrential rain, and the terror she experiences when she comes across another woman that looks just like her, down to the very attire she is wearing.

Soniku

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
"The Hunt" and "Death Ship" are pretty good. I only saw the end of "The Masks", but that was pretty messed up too.

Marek

Banned
The one with the monster ripping cables out of the wing of the plane. I'm sure its been mentioned already but idk the title.

Also the Talking Tina doll episode is fucking twisted.

Buro Destruct said:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Populous said:
Motherfuckin-A, good times.

One of my first TZ episodes, very late at night, I was paranoid while going to sleep.

Everyone's mentioned a bunch of good ones already, but I liked the one where the robbers put themselves in cryogenic sleep for 100 years or something like that for a gold heist..ah fuck it let me copypasta what someone wrote on tv.com:

'One episode in particular that I think explains this is "Rip Van Winkle Caper", where four thieves steal gold and freeze themselves in a suspended animation chamber til the year 2061(they figure by the time they wake up no one will care). But when they wake up greed gets the better of them and they start to kill each other. One of the robbers manages to escape alive with some gold only to find out that in the year 2061 gold isn't valuable anymore because human beings found a way to manufacture it.'

Awesome episode.

Hey, was The Outer Limits revival in the 90s any good?
I saw like one episode that I liked from that series...

The Twilight Zone revival in the 80s sucked bigtime too with that fake-looking black and white.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
bokmeow said:
2. The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street is a classic episode, it's a bit heavy on the Communist cell paranoia metaphors, but great nonetheless.

Fucking awesome episode right there.

The movie is alright as well, too bad about the accident tho.

Soniku

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Populous said:

That reminds me of the episode, "The Dummy" where a ventriloquist dummy was talking to it's owner and controlling him... Really freaky.

CrackerMessiah

Fu'un-Ken Master
LoneSage said:
Hey, was The Outer Limits revival in the 90s any good?
I saw like one episode that I liked from that series...

It's a bit spotty, and the special effects aren't that special in light of what you'll find today, but some of the writing was damn good. Not Rod Serling good, mind you, but pretty good. One episode followed a man in a future where everyone was connected to 'the Net' or something through their minds, and he was considered disabled because he wasn't connected to it. Then what happens when the net goes down!?!?

Any Twilight Zone episodes from the golden Serling-era are going to be great- in my opinion, it was some of the greatest storytelling of that time. Some favorites (may contain "spoilers"):

-The one where a man finds himself in a old monastery run by monks who tell him that they've trapped Satan in a room, and that is why the world is at peace. But the voice behind the door appears to be an innocent man who pleads for the wayward man to release him from his unjustified imprisonment...
-The classic episode of the woman who has one last-ditch procedure of reconstructive surgery so that she can lead a normal life.
-The episode where a large-scale capitalist, jaded and spoiled by excess and a lifetime of unmitigated exploitation, decides to strike a deal with the devil to go back in time with the knowledge he's gained.
-And, provided there was enough time, this list would go on and on and on and on...

That said, I can't speak for the 80s remake. The one at the turn of the previous century was by and large rather abysmal. The Forrest Whitaker intros are decent, but that's usually where most of the charm ends. The only one that I remember to this day as being half-way decent was one starring Lou Diamond Phillips as (again, "spoiler") a convicted murder who had to relive the final moments of all of the people he killed. Over and over again.

Earthquake24

Dodgeball Yakuza
The Twilight Zone DVD Boxsets are highly recommended, especially with all of the extras including the book that came in the 1st season set (there were 5). They were all re-released in an all in one boxset recently though. I don't know if anyone ever heard of it but there was a show very similiar to the Twilight Zone released in the same time period called "One Step Beyond". Instead of the fictional stories with supernatural plots like TZ, it presented "real life" incidents that were said to have actually happened dealing with things like the paranormal, spirits, disappearances, creatures, etc. There weren't any real easy answers to any of the mysteries, so you're left guessing if they were real or not. I found a Very Best of 50 Episode collection of OSB in a bargain bin at a Walmart, a really great find!

Raidyn

Crazed MVS Addict
So far the best ones I have seen are "Talking Tina" , the famous "terror at 20,000 feet", and then theres that one about the girl who goes into that department store and gets trapped in the store after it closes, and then the manakins in the clothing department start talking to her.

I'll probably end up buying a boxed set or something when I get a chance.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Buro Destruct said:

that's one of my favorites.
but really i don't think i've seen a tz episode that dissapointed
in any aspect except for maybe pacing.

Real Bout Maniac

Corporal Dick,
I never considered myself a huge fan of the series, but looking over this list makes me realize just how good some of the episodes were.

I'm not sure if it was Twilight Zone or Outer Limits (I believe Twilight Zone), but I remember one with a guy who ended up getting immortality only to be convicted to a life sentence in prison.