What do you guys do for your birthday/christmas now that you're older?

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Piratero said:
The only thing I like from Christmas is the food and the family. Sure, the kids (12 and below) should get presents, but not 17/18 year olds. They're too old for that.

As for my birthday, fuck parties. All I need is to have dinner somewhere and that's it.

Real men work on their birthdays.

Quoted for "fucking" truth!

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Piratero said:

Why though? :conf:

$80 is only £40, all shoes cost that here, I was still getting gifts at 18, and my parents still give me a little something now, its tradition. I give them far more now however.

PopeCuervoLime

Avid Neo-Expert
15 Year Member
Piratero said:
I'm starting to really dislike Christmas. My brother and sister are about to both turn 17/18 and they still want presents. I tried explaining to them how it's a pointless holiday, but they think its insane not to get presents on Christmas! And what's worse is that my parents justify it by believing that they need $80+ Nike shoes!

The only thing I like from Christmas is the food and the family. Sure, the kids (12 and below) should get presents, but not 17/18 year olds. They're too old for that.

As for my birthday, fuck parties. All I need is to have dinner somewhere and that's it.

Thirded.

My ideal Christmas is one or two gift certificates and some peace and quiet. Go to the relatives' house for some good conversation. Go home and doze out in front of the TV.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
My age: 26

Birthdays I hate now...usually go out to dinner with close family and that's it.

Christmas, I exchange gifts with my parents, but none of us go all out, just a few small things we wouldn't ordinarily buy ourselves.

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
Go out to dinner or drink with friends on my birthday and drive around town to either see what my other friends are doing or just cruise for the hell of it for Christmas.

Sadly, cruising means a world of difference today than it did back in 1997. :eek:

Pink Spider

Beast Buster
Havent done a damn thing for my birthday since I was 12. Just turned 29 a few weeks ago. Everyone I know knows not to plan or buy me anything.
Xmas, I buy people gifts and stuff, but I dont go out of my way to find something grand and lavish to do. I'm about as exciting as a cactus.

ViewtifulZFO

Street Hoop Star
Wow, this place is so depressing.

Does anyone actually enjoy these holidays except me, or what?

PopeCuervoLime

Avid Neo-Expert
15 Year Member
ViewtifulZFO said:
Wow, this place is so depressing.

Does anyone actually enjoy these holidays except me, or what?
I wouldn't go so far as to call it depressing. I think "low maintenance" is the proper term plus we're mostly about family rather than gifts.

ViewtifulZFO

Street Hoop Star
PopeCuervoLime said:
I wouldn't go so far as to call it depressing. I think "low maintenance" is the proper term plus we're mostly about family rather than gifts.

I guess I'm just lucky enough to get a heaping helping of both.

Tom

The Frog of Genjuro,
Birthday-Go out drinking with friends at a local bar

Christmas eve /day- Family dinner on the eve and a family lunch/early dinner the on Christmas day.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
The past five years I've worked on both days.

So... yeah.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I haven't had a party since I turned 18, and even then I left early.

I also haven't requested work off since I was 17.

just another day

as for Christmas, my supervisor rounded us up because three people were asking for the day off, so he asked who wanted some overtime, and I immediately said I'll do it.

give me all the time and a half you got, bitches

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
This year I'm working on Christmas so my co-workers don't have to.

They've got kids and whatnot so I said I'd do it all myself for them.

They're lucky my hard-shelled exterior masks a creamy, gooey center that does in fact care for people.

Or maybe they're lucky that I'm a sad, pathetic loser with nothing better to do.

Either way, it's a win-win for them.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Average Joe said:

They've got kids and whatnot so I said I'd it all myself for them.

They're lucky my hard-shelled exterior masks a creamy, gooey center that does in fact care for people.

Or maybe they're lucky that I'm a sad, pathetic loser with nothing better to do.

hey it's like staring 5 years into the future

now if only you sponsored a child in Sierra Leone like me we would be complete

I blame anime for giving me a caring heart in the shell of a jaded asshole wtflol

FormlessOne

Chin's Drinking Partner
Average Joe said:

They've got kids and whatnot so I said I'd do it all myself for them.

Your tale hits too close to home.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I've opted for caring for animals instead of people in cases of charity.

My newly-adopted kitten Thomas would thank me for this.

EDIT: You two need to get out of my head.

I've got enough crazy thoughts running around in there.

Last edited:

FormlessOne

Chin's Drinking Partner
Average Joe said:

We should hang out.

In a heterosexual manner.

Sorry about the Boss show, I was still broke from my trip to FL the week before.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
joe at work there is a family of kittens that live around the trash compactor

they're far too scared of humanity and run away whenever someone approaches them

I left out a bowl of soup for them however

i'm like that chick from Nausicaa
icon14.gif

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
My girl and I love birthday parties and Christmas. We usually spend the Christmas evening with our family at our house, there's lots of good food, booze, a nicely decorated traditional German Christmas tree, party, fun and lotsa candles, can't get much better than that (except for New Year's eve, the highest holiday in my personal calendar). The party normally ends with everyone being drunk and singing (or dancing in case of my father-in-law). :)

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Birthdays are spent either @ some resturant eating, drinking and making fun of everything in the world...wait...that's everyday :)

Seriously, just good friends that either feel uber guilty about probably getting you some crappy gift or the guilt of not knowing how old you really are until they get to the dinner party. And lets not forget the the obsessive long distant phone calls from mother dear.

As for Christmas, it's usually spent with the girlfriend and family here in the states (most are in Portugal & Spain), dinner, the occasional drunken distant cousin's friend, and kids bored with whatever we buy them after ten minutes of play.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Average Joe said:

EDIT: You two need to get out of my head.

I've got enough crazy thoughts running around in there.

giving to animal charities instead of starving children and suchlike, priorities out of order.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Birthdays go out to dinner nothing special realy.

As for xmas exchange presents with family and nothing more.

If any thing i try not to make a big deal out of either day at all.

To me it's just another day on the calendar dunno i guess that i'm,older now the excitement for it just isn't there any more.

The commerical part of xmas can be annoying...but i try not to get stress over it i'm just glad it's only on day for the year.

Btw on the presents thing i do drop a few hints to family.

Still not by much since i buy what i want for...myself befor xmas even get's here :emb:

Kunai

Over Top Auto Mechanic
This will be my first Christmas outside of America... and honestly, I will probably miss it a lot.

No, it wasn't about the gifts, it was spending time with family and friends. And eating a shit-ton of food.

Japanese people don't celebrate Thanksgiving at all (besides 1 day off, but it's a labor thanksgiving of sorts).

This is the lowdown on what Christmas is like in Japan, from what people have told me:

* They celebrate on December 24th only, Dec. 25th is just a normal day.
* You don't cook at home on this day. Most popular things to go out and get to eat is KFC and pizza. And for KFC, you will have to make a reservation for your meal.
* Only kids get presents. Anyone over 14 years old will stop getting presents.
* Only the younger set have Christmas parties/gatherings.
* For some reason, people make special orders for Christmas cake. I've had people in Japan ask me where I'm going to order my Christmas cake, and I reply, "Dafuckutalkinabout?"
* Christmas is a really romantic day for couples, even moreso than Valentine's Day. Women will be laughed at or talked about if they are spending December 24th alone.

So, my first Christmas in Japan? I'm hopping onto an overnight bus on the 24th and I'm going to Tokyo. I'm taking my single ass to Comiket. :buttrock:

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
kernow said:
giving to animal charities instead of starving children and suchlike, priorities out of order.

Being a bitchy cunt spamming up forums instead of beating Resistance again (great game), priorities way out of order.

And yes Formless, we should.

I should try to make an honest effort to get to the next MA meet-up.

djdelly

Teh Mizzle
For my b-day:
I usually get together with friends for food and drinks and I buy myself something, cuase it's my birthday. Last year it was a few new pair of Adidas and some sunglasses, the year before it was a tattoo.

For X-mas:
I'll spend the day with the soon to be in-laws and exchange gifts with them and then go visit my parents a few weeks later for x-mas with them.

Last weekend we put up the tree and some decorations so the house is festive.

I still like both, but my b-day is always better.