What has made you a grumpy gamer?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Dlc, street fighter v having no actual game, sequelitits, online multiplayer focus, $60 for 3 or 4 hour single player games, constant patches, call of duty 956, 12 year old shrill voiced racists, $70 controllers, no pack in game, etc.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Season pass - I have yet yo purchase one because most of the content in these season passes is purely aesthetic.
no more manuals - Its always great to look through a manual on paper before jumping into a game. I would much rather do this than go through a forced tutorial
Forced tutorials - Yeah, don't force players to sit through shit like this. Build a stage that introduces the main mechanics in a thoughtful engaging way, you know like games did in the past
Triple A everything - Seems like every game has to strive to be some triple A title, when i really don't enjoy most of those triple A games at all. They are usually cinematic games, that barely have any gameplay at all

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Big killer for me is the arcades. Also scalper/flipper/resellers & collectards that raise up the prices on everything.

SmaMan

Cheng's Errand Boy
I used to absolutely love online gaming and the direction it was pulling the industry. (Anybody remember Allegiance on PC? That was teh shizz.) Heck, Kaillera was what really got me into Neo Geo gaming again after the MVSs began to leave the arcades where I lived.

But more and more I find myslef withdrawing into my classic game room, far away from the router. I've had what I believe would be otherwise great online experiences ruined by salty 7-year-olds with eSports dreams who insult you because *you* are the only reason the team is losing the match. :thevt:

The only times I really turn on my modern consoles is to play offline experiences, and thanks to Triple-A gaming's focus groups considering that "not popular" (read: not profitable) those are becoming less and less.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
DLC. Shipping games uncompleted and having the rest of it available for purchase within a month.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Heck, Kaillera was what really got me into Neo Geo gaming again after the MVSs began to leave the arcades where I lived.
You should jump on FightCade man, it is alot smoother than kaillera gameplay wise but doesnt have as many options. I used to play alot on Kaillera back in the day. Especially KOF 00 and 02

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Shelfqueens, collectards, and flippers.

SmaMan

Cheng's Errand Boy
You should jump on FightCade man, it is alot smoother than kaillera gameplay wise but doesnt have as many options. I used to play alot on Kaillera back in the day. Especially KOF 00 and 02

A few people have showed me that. It looks pretty cool! I'll have to check that out.

Remember those crazy 6 player hacks they made for KoF? Pretty neat concept, even if the game crashed/desynced before you could ever get through a match.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
But more and more I find myslef withdrawing into my classic game room, far away from the router.

I find myself doing this more often these days. I really don't care for a lot of online play myself. And yeah the scalpers have really shit on this hobby hard.

I shouldn't have to feel that I need to rush to place an order for something I want online or otherwise in fear of some douche buying 7 to 15 consoles with the straight up intention of flipping them for profit.

I still wanted to buy a NES Classic unit but it's going to be many months before I find one at retail price. Chances are I might get one during the time the Switch comes out but that's highly unlikely.

Last edited:

bcfczulu

Over Top Auto Mechanic
removal of instruction manuals.

multiplayer becoming more important than single player.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Prices. Interesting games

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Waiting for games to install on a console. Waiting for updates to download on day 1 to fix a broken release. Waiting weeks/months for an update patch to acquire the remainder of a game I've already paid for and expected to be complete.

SmaMan

Cheng's Errand Boy
Waiting for games to install on a console. Waiting for updates to download on day 1 to fix a broken release. Waiting weeks/months for an update patch to acquire the remainder of a game I've already paid for and expected to be complete.

That whole "pre-play" thing PS4 has mandated all their games support is a frickin' joke and makes it worse. Basically, all you get to "play" is the rest of the software's download screen. Sometimes you get a main menu at least, but nothing works on it until the download is complete.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Lastly...and this is to be expected, but I don't like games being mainstream. I liked it better when it was just "us" nerds playing games. Everybody and their dog claiming to be "gamorz" got old quick.

Actually that's what pushed me out of anime. Also it seemed to get more retarded as the years went by.

I'd argue that the whole e-sport push dramatically shifted the core mechanics and focus of a lot of fighting franchises. However, I feel that since the core of fighting games has traditionally always been the PvP aspect, the game genre always has and will attract hyper competitive players.

The whole "Go pro or go home" mantra has made much of the fanbase extremely toxic though.

Hyper competitive is okay to a certain degree, but when every gamer out there thinks they're Justin Fucking Wong and can get sponsored if they just level up by any means necessary is getting old. Especially the attitude you need to teabag, taunt, or just plain troll moves in bad lag to get some advantage in a casual match is ridiculous. Have some respect and if you wouldn't do it IRL then maybe you shouldn't do it at all.

I remember a time when playing the top players of a particular fighting game was an everyday thing. Not even ranking matches. They were just happy to get matches in. Nowadays unless you are a subscriber to their Twitch channel then it's not worth it to them.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Not being able to play gun games on an LCD.
Stubby little sticks with balls on the end and nunchuks don't count, and the guncon 3 i don't really rate either TBH.
I miss waving a platic gun around in my living room that was accurate enough to actually hit on the screen where i pointed it.
Point blank 1, 2, 3, virtua cop 1, 2, ghoul panic, HOTD 2, 3, elemental gearbolt, confidential mission, vampire nights, had some great times rockin these games back in the day, and a lot of others.
Fuck i miss playing LGG's.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Ebay.

Johnny come lately's

I mean you and all others who mentioned price absolutely no offense, but wouldn't this only be a problem if you yourself were also buying games at the same time as said "Johnny come lately's"? If you got all the games you wanted early/before retro game resale prices skyrocketed, why would it matter what the current ebay price was?

Slugger

Marked Wolf
Patches, DLC and system updates.
Too many indie games.
Shmups are practically dead on this gen if you compare for example what the Xbox 360 had to offer.
Hyped sequals fall short in a way or another.
Nintendo Switch launch line-up was a dissappointment.
Mobile gaming trend growing.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I mean you and all others who mentioned price absolutely no offense, but wouldn't this only be a problem if you yourself were also buying games at the same time as said "Johnny come lately's"? If you got all the games you wanted early/before retro game resale prices skyrocketed, why would it matter what the current ebay price was?

Because life, my nigga.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Lack of StarFox series amiibos.

My life is not complete without Slippy Toad.