what was the best show on tv... that never got a fair shake/ cancelled way too soon.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
at least veronica mars had 3 seasons and marketing behind it. i'd consider it having a fair chance at success.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Still cancelled way too soon. Plus WB/CW/whatever the hell it was decided to go the vapid route, which really is the best way to go most of the times.

Also forgot...

Terriers - Great show about a former cop and a former criminal that team up to become private eyes. There was some marketing but the commercials were way too subdued (usually just showing an actual terrier doing something), so everyone thought it was a show about dogs or just didn't look past what was shown. What was there was a show that had it's fair share of ups & downs with flawed but still likable characters. Apparently, this was the lowest rates show FX put out, which is a shame. Had it been marketed better, it could have stuck.

Also, half the shows Greg Geraldo had piloted. Just because Greg Geraldo.

skateonwalls

I love sexy knickers!,
20 Year Member
:cool:
Still cancelled way too soon. Plus WB/CW/whatever the hell it was decided to go the vapid route, which really is the best way to go most of the times.

Also forgot...

Terriers - Great show about a former cop and a former criminal that team up to become private eyes. There was some marketing but the commercials were way too subdued (usually just showing an actual terrier doing something), so everyone thought it was a show about dogs or just didn't look past what was shown. What was there was a show that had it's fair share of ups & downs with flawed but still likable characters. Apparently, this was the lowest rates show FX put out, which is a shame. Had it been marketed better, it could have stuck.

Also, half the shows Greg Geraldo had piloted. Just because Greg Geraldo.

I was pissed abt terriers,it need to be given more of a chance.

Undergrads on MTV was a good cartoon that ended to soon. Man MTV had some good cartoons back in the day.

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
i feel silly for just remembering it, but with this crowd it seems a shame that no one mentioned 'freaks and geeks' yet.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
i feel silly for just remembering it, but with this crowd it seems a shame that no one mentioned 'freaks and geeks' yet.

Actually Taiso did on page 1 post #23 I believe

You know I've never seen that show yet everyone says it's up my alley

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Veronica Mars - This actually had a pretty interesting story line, I got into it after it had long since been pulled off air and they should have kept it going.
First season was awesome. You could tell the creators were Twin Peaks fans and there were some obvious parallels. And I loved the score. Josh Kramon had a ton of music cues from his score hosted on his website and I have all of them on my iPod now. One track, 'The Truth Hurts', I can listen to over and over. It's like the bastard love child of Badalamenti's Twin Peaks and Yamaoka's Silent Hill.

Season 2 was a little forced but still good. But Season 3 was the show on life support. The format change to please studio execs really undercut everything that had made the series great. Their plan to jump ahead several years for a fourth season was interesting and I would have watched it, but I don't know that it would have worked. Three seasons was probably enough.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Everybody likes to talk about Thundercats...

but remember Silverhawks?

Best intro music ever.

This is another one I used to watch a lot. I don't think it really took off.

Last edited:
Earthworm Jim.
The rare Saturday morning cartoon adaptation that was as witty and hilarious (if not moreso) than the game itself. It aired on Kids WB from September 1995 to late 1996 (when it was shifted to weekday afternoons for reasons that still boggle my mind to this very day). I knew it wasn't going to last more than two seasons, but at the very least, they could've aired the final few episodes on Saturday morning. (To this day, the show still doesn't have a DVD release; if Sonic The Hedgehog [all versions] and Super Mario Bros. can get DVD sets, why not this one?)

One of my favorite lines from the show:
Jim: "We're about to be sucked into the most dangerous thing in the universe!"
Peter: "A gym teacher?!"
Jim: "Okay, second-most dangerous thing... a black hole!"

And one more for the road:
Psycrow is working as a gym teacher.
Psycrow: "Move it! Move it! Move it!"
*continuously fires blaster at the students*
Psycrow: "So... am I being too rough on the kids?"
Principal: "No- you're being too nice."

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The Critic. I know it was on two networks but both times it seems like not enough people paid attention.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
This:

It was goofy, but so much fun. Shame it got canned.

I would've loved to see another season of The Critic, too. The webisodes left a bad taste in my mouth, since they hinted that Jay and Alice possibly got married, then divorced. Would explain why a new love interest was there. But, without any of the old cast members being there, it felt hollow. They should've just kept out any attempt at a storyline and made it just about 'Coming Attractions' and having send-ups of recent films.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I really wish that they finished out the whole season of Jpod.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
OMG! Thanks for this cdamm, that show was great but I never knew about this; searching the web now...!

here are all 10 webisodes of the critic. i cant believe i remember this from 2000. they were shown on atomfilms (before the suck happened) via shockwave. the animation is very 'year 2000 webcartoon'. enjoy!

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
The Critic webisodes needed the rest of the cast. It's great they got Maurice and the other guy that did a bulk of celebrity cameos, but that was about it. I missed Duke, Franklin and Jeremy. It just felt like a cheap way to introduce the movie spoofs. Most of my choices have already been taken and of course, most of them are cartoons. I never really watched much of the Sonic The Hedgehog cartoon on ABC, but hearing how they teased Metal Sonic and the show was canceled without an ending.

Was I the only fan of that sci-fi show on Fox that came out in the 90's called The Visitor? It was about this guy that got abducted by aliens in the 60's and comes back to earth in present day and has to find people with gifts and abilities (not like X-Men, inventors and leaders) that can help fight the upcoming invasion, all while he's trying to avoid this one hard ass guy from the army that wants him locked up. They did have a final episode, but they left so much out. It's a shame because it seems like not that many people liked the show but I watched every episode when it first aired and then again when Sci-Fi re-aired it.

LordPirana

n00b
Firefly
terminator the sarah connor chronicles.
Drive, it was a really good show and i would have liked to see how it would have played out. But lets face it, FOX is just plain dumb.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
here are all 10 webisodes of the critic. i cant believe i remember this from 2000. they were shown on atomfilms (before the suck happened) via shockwave. the animation is very 'year 2000 webcartoon'. enjoy!
Thanks for posting them here :buttrock:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
You know what I completely forgot to mention? Pirates of Dark Water. Will Ren ever find the thirteen treasures of Rule? :conf:

Yeah, this is one show where I kept waiting for more episodes to air and I didn't understand why they weren't coming. :crying:

Phyeir

This:

It was goofy, but so much fun. Shame it got canned.

I would've loved to see another season of The Critic, too. The webisodes left a bad taste in my mouth, since they hinted that Jay and Alice possibly got married, then divorced. Would explain why a new love interest was there. But, without any of the old cast members being there, it felt hollow. They should've just kept out any attempt at a storyline and made it just about 'Coming Attractions' and having send-ups of recent films.

Could not remember the name yesterday and got to lazy to find it. THis also needed to be on my list. Anything that gives us more Bruce Campbell, yes.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Could not remember the name yesterday and got to lazy to find it. THis also needed to be on my list. Anything that gives us more Bruce Campbell, yes.

speaking of mr campbell- i cannot believe this only got 27 episodes!

also: the chicago code and studio 60 on the sunset strip (which at least when cancelled got a series finale- at the end of season 1)

Last edited:

Phyeir

What's funny is I still remembered that part with Briscoe and his partner tied up in front of th train just like that from all these years past.

And may I just say it was quite the laugh I had seeing the horse get credited. You can only use my trained horse on your show IF HE GETS ON THE CREDITS. Cereal?

Gozer

Armored Scrum Object
Carnivale - A really unique series. So many questions unanswered.
Mission Hill - A funny and witty show that I highly enjoyed.

Dead Like Me; I love that show, but it got canned after 2 seasons. At least they did a movie to finish the story, but it was rushed.

Yeah. That movie definitely felt rushed. It ended up being disappointing.
Shame they could not get Mandy Patinkin to do that movie. We never found out how Rube died.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Since pirates of dark water was mention eariler in this thread.Another cartoon that was cancel way to earily all becuase of some damn lawsuit :hammer:

Interesting how the show borrow the mech from godmars.

Last edited:

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Forgot about this one... used to love this in the early 90s

It managed 2 Seasons, but for the time I thought it was
pretty bad ass.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
CAPTAIN POWER AND THE SOLDIERS OF THE FUTURE UP IN THIS BITCH!