What would happen... Classic Games

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
So my stepdaughter had an idea of taking expensive classic games to a couple used game store that "specialized" in that sort of stuff. I tried to get an interesting collection of games. She used the line "I got this from an uncle and wanted to see if it was worth anything."

Here's the stuff. The prices are Ebay average prices just looking real quick before I left. Not official, and probably very conservative, but adds to comedic value.

Turbo Express (needs to be recapped) $150 ?
Sega CDX $200

NES Games (all with original Nintendo licenced plastic boxes) (Ebay average prices just looking real quick before I left)

Metroid $15
Castlevania $22
Castlevania II $12
Castlevania III (w/ instructions) $35
Mike Tyson's Punch Out (w/ instructions) $30
Tecmo Super Bowl $40
Batman Return of the Joker (w/ instructions) $45

TG16 Games

Splatterhouse (w/ box, case and instructions) $100
Bonk's Adventure (w/ case and instructions) $40
Alien Crush (w/ case and instructions) $35
Dungeon Explorer (w/ case and instructions) $35
Sidearms (w/ case and instructions) $40
Blazing Lazers (w/ case and instructions) $60
R-Type (w/ case and instructions) $60
Keith Courage (w/ case and instructions) $15
Neutopia 2 $70? (couldn't find just game)

1st Store Slackers:

Went in there there was a female at the counter. As soon as she pulled out the 3 Castlevania games she started spooging. She also was geeking on Mike Tyson's Punch Out. The rest she really didn't pay attention to. the TG16 she knew nothing about. She grabbed an older gentleman who knew what is was and they went back and forth as to if they sell it. The guy said yes. He played around with the Turbo Express, but couldn't get the sound working so he lost interest, and decided to help another customer walking around. The lady offered $100 cash or $150 store trade in for the NES games, but recommended going online to sell.

2nd Store V-Stock:

Went to the counter with 2 geeky guys and had one take a look. He immediately separated Metroid, Castlevania, and Mike Tyson's Punch Out from the rest and said these were the most expensive. Later, after researching realized I had all three and said that's a big deal. This crew did spooge over the Turbo Express. 1st they didn't know it existed. then they rushed around for batteries hoping it would fix the sound issue. then tried headphones. Since they heard sound they said ok let's buy it. It was really amusing watching them rationalize buying it. Game wise they went craziest over Metroid calling it an $80 game. Total price for everything but Sega CDX, (didn't have anything to test Sega CD games), and Splatterhouse since he didn't have the heart to try to get it when they don't care for boxes corporate wise. $170 cash $220 trade.

All in all it was amusing to watch it unfold.

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
What'd you expect? I'm surprised the lady at the first store offered you even that much for just the NES games. You're lucky to get 30% of value in cash around here.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Most places around here will offer you 20% of what they will sell it for.

If you want eBay prices, sell it on eBay. Stores usually sit on retro stuff for a while before it sells and have bills to pay.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
This reminds me of how tempted I've been to walk into Rot's shop with a fake euro kizuna :keke:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
What'd you expect? I'm surprised the lady at the first store offered you even that much for just the NES games. You're lucky to get 30% of value in cash around here.

Money wise we didn't care. It was more about how they would react or what they would say when you give them stuff they should want. To see what they consider a big deal and what they could give a shit about.

JoeAwesome

Money wise we didn't care. It was more about how they would react or what they would say when you give them stuff they should want. To see what they consider a big deal and what they could give a shit about.

Well, whether you cared to actually trade it in or not, you cared enough about the money to post values and present the line "I got this from an uncle and wanted to see if it was worth anything."

Anyways, who cared about what probably differs from person to person, but I'm still lost on why you'd go through all of this to see how strangers would react.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Tecmo Super Bowl is $40 now? Holy shit

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
You should have bought camera glasses and recorded everything.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Well, whether you cared to actually trade it in or not, you cared enough about the money to post values and present the line "I got this from an uncle and wanted to see if it was worth anything."

Anyways, who cared about what probably differs from person to person, but I'm still lost on why you'd go through all of this to see how strangers would react.

I put values on it so it's easier to understand how much the games are going for on ebay compared to what they say. It's part of the reaction. Person to person shouldn't really matter price wise. They use a computer to come up with a price. It's not up to them. Would you have rather have me say. "I just want to see what game is a big deal. I can care less how much it is."?

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Took me a while to figure out what you meant by "Classic Games"

JoeAwesome

I put values on it so it's easier to understand how much the games are going for on ebay compared to what they say. It's part of the reaction. Person to person shouldn't really matter price wise. They use a computer to come up with a price. It's not up to them. Would you have rather have me say. "I just want to see what game is a big deal. I can care less how much it is."?

I didn't say value differs from person to person, but who cared about what does differ, which is you wanted to see.

Took me a while to figure out what you meant by "Classic Games"

Should OP have put "retro," or do you not believe Keith Courage is a classic?

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
The slackers offer of $100/150 doesn't seem too bad really for the nes games.

Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
The Slackers offer all things considered was fair for cash and generous on credit. If I were a regular there just to avoid ebay trolls and con artists I'd have taken that no questions asked. I doubt your prices up there value in the 15% you roughly lose in ebay FVF and PP fees combined. It's damn near break even or better not having to waste time dealing with it and money with gas and supplies. The other was just insulting but expected.

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
I went to my local spot today to look for Genesis games and the prices were double the price of eBay. I was so weirded out. Mystical fighters in box with manual is $40 on eBay $50 highend. They had it priced at a$109.99. I was laughing but never said anything. They had a beat Gouls n ghosts in box no manual $50. You can find those for $25 buy it now on eBay. So funny.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
There's a local store 10-15 min (To MN Players, Gamerheadz in Southdale) from my house that had a loose Final Fight III SNES for like $100 and a loose Captain Commando for $125. They were also selling Dragon Warrior VII PS1 for $120. When I brought in my old Lynx and 8 games (4 of them boxed) the geeky kid at the counter's jaw literally hit the floor. The look on his face was priceless. He had to call in the boss and we worked out a deal where he said "I can't sell this, but I can use it as a display." I got $100 for it. I sell lots of stuff there. They pay better than forums, but less than ebay. Sometimes I don't feel like putting an auction up, waiting a week for it to end, waiting for someone to pay me, they waiting again as it takes time to transfer the money from paypal--> Checking account. Not to mention getting scammed or risk it getting lost in the mail + fees.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I would have only offered $100 for the whole nine yards.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
One of my local game shops was selling a well used Atari Jaguar for $200.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
The only game store I sell to now uses ebay to price everything. It varies but, depending on what you have, I get around 65-70% of ebay from him, less if I want cash.

The only problem is he has to sell it on ebay or, like 10% less in store to make any money.

Jon

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
The Slackers offer all things considered was fair for cash and generous on credit. If I were a regular there just to avoid ebay trolls and con artists I'd have taken that no questions asked. I doubt your prices up there value in the 15% you roughly lose in ebay FVF and PP fees combined. It's damn near break even or better not having to waste time dealing with it and money with gas and supplies. The other was just insulting but expected.

Honestly I didn't think it was bad either. Most don't want the hassle of selling online to get top prices and they have to make a buck or two. Now Slackers is known for going to eBay for games like I brought in, but that was years ago so they might have changed. When I went in I thought Slackers would be the screwing over store and V-Stock the reasonable because V-Stock has considerably more inventory then Slackers, but I was wrong.