What's the best console version of Ghouls and Ghosts? (non-feet behind the grass edition)

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Super GnG wasn't flagship material but thereabouts. It just stood out. Beautiful and rare in that they got it right even though they messed around with the formula so much. Capcom was king of platform games for the nintendo platforms. They tailor made these games for the system(s)
Compare their iteration of Final Fight (the second one), got similar treatment as SGnG and you can see how much they fumbled. Area88 whilst fun and decent was far less ambitious a port for instance.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I think the genesis version played the best. And I think the reason behind that is because it recognizes diagonals which you can turn off. It just seems to flow better.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Strider is SEGA too and only they could have pulled off such a magnificent port. If it wasn't for some understandable omissions and the compression loading times it would be more preferred than the Arcade version.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Strider is SEGA too and only they could have pulled off such a magnificent port. If it wasn't for some understandable omissions and the compression loading times it would be more preferred than the Arcade version.

The loading times always kill it for me. You get to a spot then there's a pause.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I remember the first time I beat Ghouls n Ghosts, it was the arcade game on the PS2 collection. It took me roughly eight hours, and only the first time, didn't get to Lucifer.

I told myself I would never play it again.

Within a week or two, I was consistently beating the game and Lucifer in about 40 minutes. It is a near-perfect game. And still the best in the series.

Jesus Christ, dude. I've been playing the Genesis game since way back in the day and it still kicks my ass. I have no idea who this "Lucifer" guy is.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Strider on the md was significant at the time due to the cart's meg count, up to then it was seen as quite big (8 meg)

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Strider on the md was significant at the time due to the cart's meg count, up to then it was seen as quite big (8 meg)

I wish some crazy hacker would fix the load times or something. I still enjoy playing it, but I think the PS1 port gets more playtime these days.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I wish some crazy hacker would fix the load times or something. I still enjoy playing it, but I think the PS1 port gets more playtime these days.
You know they've done some amazing quailty of life hacks on old games. Gradius III for snes with no slowdown (using a chip which was later used for other games) to me is mind boggling, you can pop in the hacked game into a real cart and bob's your uncle.
Actually I think you can also play SGnG now without slowdown.
They added voice samples and colours from the arcade version of Altered Beast to the cart versión.
A Strider hack to me at least, seems more than reasonable

Edit: this is a game changer for me for instance:

The game is not only playable, it becomes a contender for most desirable version just because of the fact it is in cart form

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
The loading times always kill it for me. You get to a spot then there's a pause.
The issue here is that yes, the cart is big for the time but it still is used in full capacity for graphics. I think if someone really wanted to dive deep into it, they could definitely get a higher meg cart and have assets always readily available instead of compressing/decompressing.

I don't think the load times are that big of a deal though, the port seems more polished than the arcade version in many areas. The most obvious one is how mags praised the port as having extra bgm, when in reality it was just the arcade soundtrack that people didn't get to hear because first ROM revision of the game was fucked up. The only real bug I remember from it was the last core boss glitching the next area load if you didn't scroll down the level before beating him, costing you a life for being too good.

Aside from that bug and loading times I think the genesis version is perfectly fine, I find it easy to overlook those for some comfy gaming. Btw the japanese version is cooler because it retains the best voiced line at the end of the game and has no continues :D

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Got my Genny version in the mail on Monday, and it is indeed damn good. Just super responsive, and having the option to learn the levels on the Practice difficulty setting is welcome. I'd agree that it's better, overall, than the Supergrafx version by a bit, though both are excellent ports overall.