Why haven't any of you doll fuckers started a Game of Thrones topic?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I JUST realized that the actors in the opening credits have the sigil of their character's house next to their name.

And I can't remember where, but didn't Harwin or someone tell Aria that his Jon's name was Wylla?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
\
Also, perhaps someone who has read the books can answer this with no spoilers, the only season ending scene that made no sense to me:

Spoiler: About the PYKIES burning the village....

I just assumed that the Pykies burnt the village because that is what they do.
I'm following all the allegory, and the Pykies are clearly based on the Vikings.

I'm still working over the the other allegories.

I'm guessing that The "Free People" are clearly based on the Celts, they even have a Hadrian Wall to keep thier insanity from ruining the kingdom.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
He probably means the Iron Islanders, sometimes called Iron Men, from the Iron Islands. That's the area the Greyjoys control, and Pyke is the main island where the Seastone Chair (the Greyjoy throne) is located.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
He probably means the Iron Islanders, sometimes called Iron Men, from the Iron Islands. That's the area the Greyjoys control, and Pyke is the main island where the Seastone Chair (the Greyjoy throne) is located.

I don't know what the general consensus is, but the focus on the iron islands in book 4 really put me off, along with the stupid sparrows in kings landing. I just hated the religion that Martin forced into it. Yeah, 9/11 is a good excuse to take a massive shit on your magnum opus. Fucktard.

damn you Taiso, you respond when I post in this topic!

respond you!

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I read the fourth book right after reading the third one because I needed to know what happened next. I didn't realize Martin was going to spend the bulk of the novel telling us what happens next in places like Dorne and the Iron Islands, rather than the Wall.

The second time I read the book (and it's the only one I've read twice), I developed a different view. Looking at now, more objectively and not having that 'reader's demand' to see more of my favorite characters and storylines, I find myself liking the book more.

Places like the Iron Isles and Dorne have their own ambitions, so Martin's pretty much got to see it through. If he doesn't, the world of Westeros becomes unevenly portrayed.

As for the Sparrows, I really don't have problem with it. I don't think Martin writes political allegory into his novels as statements on the condition of the world. History informs what he writes but I think that's more because that's how he sees human dynamics develop and he writes to that from his point of view. I don't know that he was making any 9/11 allegories, or any other allegories, to modern historical events. If he's ever done that in this series, he's never come out and stated that to my knowledge.

Religion is an important aspect of any feudal society. It's a driving factor in most peoples' lives. People took that shit seriously, and some religious factions militarized. There is plenty of historical precedent for that sort of thing dating back hundreds, even thousands, of years.

I view the religions of Westeros as another faction, sort of a nation or region of the world that has spiritual borders rather than physical lands.

The only frustrating thing for me about A Feast For Crows was that it felt like an experiment by Martin.

Spoiler:
Jon Snow finally does something substantial to keep the Stark spirit strong in the novels and then we stop getting more of his story. Same with Sansa and Arya. I thought the Starks were the protagonists of the story. The same could be said of Tyrion and Daenerys, who are also MIA until book 5.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I read the fourth book right after reading the third one because I needed to know what happened next. I didn't realize Martin was going to spend the bulk of the novel telling us what happens next in places like Dorne and the Iron Islands, rather than the Wall.

The second time I read the book (and it's the only one I've read twice), I developed a different view. Looking at now, more objectively and not having that 'reader's demand' to see more of my favorite characters and storylines, I find myself liking the book more.

Places like the Iron Isles and Dorne have their own ambitions, so Martin's pretty much got to see it through. If he doesn't, the world of Westeros becomes unevenly portrayed.

As for the Sparrows, I really don't have problem with it. I don't think Martin writes political allegory into his novels as statements on the condition of the world. History informs what he writes but I think that's more because that's how he sees human dynamics develop and he writes to that from his point of view. I don't know that he was making any 9/11 allegories, or any other allegories, to modern historical events. If he's ever done that in this series, he's never come out and stated that to my knowledge.

Religion is an important aspect of any feudal society. It's a driving factor in most peoples' lives. People took that shit seriously, and some religious factions militarized. There is plenty of historical precedent for that sort of thing dating back hundreds, even thousands, of years.

I view the religions of Westeros as another faction, sort of a nation or region of the world that has spiritual borders rather than physical lands.

The only frustrating thing for me about A Feast For Crows was that it felt like an experiment by Martin.

Spoiler:
Jon Snow finally does something substantial to keep the Stark spirit strong in the novels and then we stop getting more of his story. Same with Sansa and Arya. I thought the Starks were the protagonists of the story. The same could be said of Tyrion and Daenerys, who are also MIA until book 5.

The fact that Martin split books 4 and 5 by characters instead of chronology was the most jarring aspect to me. As you read book 5 there was an immediate feeling of confusion when you got back to the wall. However, I don't hate book 4 completely. It did give me EXACTLY what I wanted from Arya.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
The fact that Martin split books 4 and 5 by characters instead of chronology was the most jarring aspect to me. As you read book 5 there was an immediate feeling of confusion when you got back to the wall. However, I don't hate book 4 completely. It did give me EXACTLY what I wanted from Arya.

Spoiler:
Definitely Arya, and I also thought the book did a good job getting inside Cercei's head and showing you how insecure and childish she still is, and why she's such a fuckup I also found the Jamie sections pretty fascinating. I wouldn't say it made me LIKE those two as people, but now they're a little different for me. I didn't really care much for the Brienne parts. Not that I dislike the character, but it seems she's fated to be someone that can't make good on any of her promises, and her chances for success are muted because I know she'll never be smart enough to outwit Littlefinger and find out where Sansa is. I also really started liking Asha in this book. The Sam parts were interesting, too.

I found the intrigues in Dorne pretty fascinating once I understood their politics and dynamics better, too.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Spoiler:
Definitely Arya, and I also thought the book did a good job getting inside Cercei's head and showing you how insecure and childish she still is, and why she's such a fuckup I also found the Jamie sections pretty fascinating. I wouldn't say it made me LIKE those two as people, but now they're a little different for me. I didn't really care much for the Brienne parts. Not that I dislike the character, but it seems she's fated to be someone that can't make good on any of her promises, and her chances for success are muted because I know she'll never be smart enough to outwit Littlefinger and find out where Sansa is. I also really started liking Asha in this book. The Sam parts were interesting, too.

I found the intrigues in Dorne pretty fascinating once I understood their politics and dynamics better, too.

Jaime became a lot more likable because of Brienne reminding him of what it was to be a knight, and how he had unfortunately turned into the Smiling Knight, hated by everyone.

I never found Cirsei likable, but I did enjoy her suffering.

I'm currently at the beginning of Book 5 and have felt a lot more comfortable with the story. Because I saw the show before getting into the books, I am able to play the show in my head as I read. That's why the Iron Islands were so problematic for me. Too many characters that weren't as rendered as the other families. Another problem this presented was that I can't tell half the time what happened on tv and what didn't which makes me a walking spoiler

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Once you're done with the books, go and read the Tales of Dunk and Egg. They're three short stories, published in various anthologies, that focus on Ser Duncan the Tall and Aemon's brother Aegon (I believe it's his brother), before he became a Kingsguard. They take place about a hundred years before A Game of Thrones, and they're very fun reads. They're more like adventure stories and while there is some intrigue, it's more like what I imagine a weekly Westeros TV series with a new enemy every week would be like. He's presently writing a fourth one that takes Dunk and Egg all the way far north as Winterfell. I imagine that will be a pretext to visiting the Wall, which will eventually lead to Aegon seeing the need for more men at the wall, which eventually leads, somehow, to Aemon ending up there.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Once you're done with the books, go and read the Tales of Dunk and Egg. They're three short stories, published in various anthologies, that focus on Ser Duncan the Tall and Aemon's brother Aegon (I believe it's his brother), before he became a Kingsguard. They take place about a hundred years before A Game of Thrones, and they're very fun reads. They're more like adventure stories and while there is some intrigue, it's more like what I imagine a weekly Westeros TV series with a new enemy every week would be like. He's presently writing a fourth one that takes Dunk and Egg all the way far north as Winterfell. I imagine that will be a pretext to visiting the Wall, which will eventually lead to Aegon seeing the need for more men at the wall, which eventually leads, somehow, to Aemon ending up there.

I might do that. I've been thinking that the prehistory for GoT would be amazing for a Final Fantasy Tactics game. Especially for fights w Rheagar, oberyn and Arthur Dayne. It would be the perfect medium for a game on this series.

Marek

Banned
I might do that. I've been thinking that the prehistory for GoT would be amazing for a Final Fantasy Tactics game.

I wonder if a grand FFT style game is under construction right now. I really hope so. Even something like Front Mission, but blown up to modern levels of hugeness, variety, and novelty.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
An FFT for the ice and fire saga could easily encompass over a thousand different battles and hundreds of unique characters. It would be immense. It would also have a way better story than FFT, which was crap compared to Ogre saga, which was based on the Yugoslavian civil war.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Whatever you do, do not try to fill the need for a GoT SRPG or RTS game with the current RTS game out there. It's not very good, IMO. There are plenty of vids out there that show you gameplay. It's called A Game of Thrones: Genesis.

There is Risk style boardgame for A Game of Thrones, put out by Fantasy Flight Games, that is fantastic. I'd love to see them turn that board game into a video game. It's pretty awesome.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I hope the tv show is still good by the time they bring out Young Griff.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
They better not fuck up Strong Belwas, either. He better have his small vest, too.

I will riot.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
They better not fuck up Strong Belwas, either. He better have his small vest, too.

I will riot.

Dude, I swear to god whenever it gets to lunch time, I say iin my head "Strong Belwas hungry!"

I also hear "wherever whores go" and "you know nothing, Jon Snow" all the time in my head. But Strong Belwas, in his ridiculous vest, somehow has a Pavlovian schedule with me.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
If I ever got a Strong Belwas vest, I'd wear that shit to work.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I'd just kill their champion and shit at them afterwards.

And then wipe my ass with their cape.