Wii Price & Launch Date Thread ($250 w/ Wii Sports on Nov 17 in the US)

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Joystiq is saying that one of the launch titles is Metal Slug Anthology.

?

Anyone heard anything about this?

That doesn't exactly sound like something that would be ideal for use with the remote. Unless its suppose to be played with the retro controller.

Speaking of which, anyone seen any prices or release date for the retro controller? I am guessing release the same day as the system since it would be sorta impossible to play most those VC games on the remote.

Last edited:

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
Hopefully the haxors will find a way to dump roms onto the machine. $5 for a NES rom is stupid.

Is nintendo that ignorant? I mean c'mon, anyone with a computer, an interest in video games, and half common sense can type "Nintendo Rom" into google and find every NES game they ever wanted for free.

Even when the NES was dying, most titles could be had for less than that at any retail store - and that's with a box, instructions, etc.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
broken said:

?

That doesn't exactly sound like something that would be ideal for use with the remote. Unless its suppose to be played with the retro controller.

Speaking of which, anyone seen any prices or release date for the retro controller? I am guessing release the same day as the system since it would be sorta impossible to play most those games on the remote.

I'm suspecting it'll be like all the other "normal" games on the Wii. It'll have a retarded Wiimote mode and require you to buy the Retro Controller.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Boo fucking hoo

I guess I'm the only one here who's not going to complain.

Awesome system, low price. A little pricey controller, but ohwell. I guess I'm also the only person here who doesn't care that much about the virtual console. I have most of those games anyways. Anyone know if there's still going to be a "retro" controller available?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
how very boring and prententious of Nintendo to produce such a sterile system and lineup. where's the meat? I'm sick of potatoes.

JHendrix

v-dogg said:
I lost all Wii-spect for nintendo with their Wii-diculous console with their Wii-diculous prices. Let the world Wii-p after Nintendo later anounces that they are officially chaning their name to NE$ and comes up with the slogan "All your money belongs to Wii"

Nintendo deserves to be last in the console wars.

:kekeke:

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I don't care about all the add-on crap. I'll pick one up for MS Anthologies if nothing else along with a normal controller.

I don't really feel like paying $400-$600 for a 360 or PS3 anytime in the near future.

GeoStigma

Loyal Neo-Disciple
broken said:

?

Speaking of which, anyone seen any prices or release date for the retro controller? I am guessing release the same day as the system since it would be sorta impossible to play most those VC games on the remote.

You have to make a throwing motion to toss a grenade in game, other then that (as of right now anyway), plays like MS normally does.

Paik4Life

Armored Scrum Object
I wake up and started reading the thread titles and now I am thoroughly confused...Japan gets it Dec 2 but US gets it Nov 19th? According to different news sites, the press conference said that it will launch "worldwide" on Nov 19th. So now I don't know what's rumor and what's fact...Either way I think the controller prices are too high.

~Paik

td741

, NOTE: Please add 16 points to his feedback., --
Paik4Life said:
I wake up and started reading the thread titles and now I am thoroughly confused...Japan gets it Dec 2 but US gets it Nov 19th? According to different news sites, the press conference said that it will launch "worldwide" on Nov 19th. So now I don't know what's rumor and what's fact...Either way I think the controller prices are too high.

They are following the same rough release schedule as the DS.

North American release first Nov 19th... Followed by Japan, Dec 2nd.

Don't know about Europe yet... They have their own conference later on today (I think.)

Linky to US Conference: http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732707p1.html

JHendrix

Baseley09 said:
JHendirx & chimpychimp are in cahoots!

Just color me vastly dissapointed.

The more I see of the Wii gameplay the less sold I am on it. I mean I can't be the only one who is thinking that Mario would be better with a normal controller?

I went from completely sold, Buy-it-on-release-day, to completely skeptical and I'm trying a friends before I even consider it.

The fact that it's more expensive and comes with Wii sports (a game I would not have bought otherwise) is pretty dissapointing.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I'm somewhat tempted to complain about the price of a Wii remote and nunchuck but then I realize that just a couple weeks ago I spent $50 for a wireless 360 controller.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Let me get this straight:

Nintendo launched the GCN *below* this price, hmmm... 5 years ago.

Component prices have dropped SIGNIFIGANTLY since then.

They introduce the Wii, which by all accounts is a beefed GCN, with a few chip differences and this motion sense system.

Ok, so... they decide to build this thing.. and charge $250 for it. Why? Who knows.... Inflation? Uhhh... probably not...

Now, one of the main selling points of this is the retro access... so they tier the pricing of the games.

Any idiot with a fucking brain can go get them, for free...

On top of that, the prices for the games offered EVEN if you don't WANT To do that... if you buy them second hand, is CHEAPER than this.. and you get an ACTUAL game in your hands.

Now, on top of all of this... it's probably just a straight port of the game....

The main reason the companies give for the high price of games is production and media.. especially for Chip Based games...

Eliminate all of thsoe and you're still getting banged for at least FIVE FUCKING DOLLARS A GAME?

Would *you* pay 5 bucks for FUCKING EXCITEBIKE ALL OVER AGAIN?

Now, my arguments aren't perfect, but that's probably how most gamers are going to think.. and it's going to fail for EXACTLY that.

Way to fumble the ball, nintendo.

IF it was tiered like 1-2.50-5, I'd actually do it. A dollar an NES download is good for me.... I'd be all over it.

Meh, I'll just keep scouring second hand outlets for my .25 and .50 NES games.

Looks like another 3rd place finish for the Big N.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
JHendrix said:
Just color me vastly dissapointed.

The more I see of the Wii gameplay the less sold I am on it. I mean I can't be the only one who is thinking that Mario would be better with a normal controller?

I went from completely sold, Buy-it-on-release-day, to completely skeptical and I'm trying a friends before I even consider it.

The fact that it's more expensive and comes with Wii sports (a game I would not have bought otherwise) is pretty dissapointing.
just enjoy your 360 and be done with it - that's probably why you're reacting this way, having a shiny new system on a shiny new TV set, gotta prioritise all of a sudden. too much diversification is never good. don't you think?

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Is there information out regarding whether or not Nintendo is going to be adding online multiplayer function(s) to some of the games in their Virtual Console list?

I mean, if they're going to try and imitate the 360's Live Arcade, then I imagine that some of this stuff will end up going that route.

If some of the games are going to be playable online, then that basically changes everything.

I know the only reason I plunked down the cash for Street Fighter II' Hyper Fighting was for the online play (and that's available in rom form too! but I guess that makes me Wiitarded for buying it.)

PUNJABEE

Banned
Average Joe said:
I'm somewhat tempted to complain about the price of a Wii remote and nunchuck but then I realize that just a couple weeks ago I spent $50 for a wireless 360 controller.

Ahh, but you got all of the functionality in that one piece. You didn't pay $30 for the left analog stick and dpad, then another $20 for the right stick and buttons.

Kern - Get your head out of your ass, you know what I was talking about. I'm not gonna call Nintendo's already possibly doomed system by a retarded name like "Wii". Revolution was an infiintely better name. I'll stick with that. Revolution, not "wee".

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Another thing: I'm not too keen on buying an HDTV just so I can properly view the 360/PS3. I don't spend enough time in front of a television to justify anything close to a thousand dollars or whatever that the good ones go for.

The Wii will hook up to my outdated television that doesn't do all the fancy shit and it should look fine.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
VanillaThunder said:
Really sucks that there's no excuse for that pricing, huh?

Take away the pack-in game and you have a $199 console.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I want to know more about the back of the machine, i.e. connectivity to your tv and such.

Plus, I want to know about the SD card thing. Can you use just standard off the shelf SD cards and not some special ones? After reading at IGN, they are saying you can just pop the SD card out of your camera and into the Wii and display the photos on your TV.

BUT, can those same cheap SD cards be used to store save games, downloads and whatever?