You wa shockk

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Been thinking recently about how people, usually involved in or adjacent to arcade or rEtRo gaming, lump everything that they're interested in into one massive, crusty ball. That's how you end up with these game rooms that have sticks like this with GI Joe art, Nightmare Before Christmas, Star Wars, and Marvel posters on the wall, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Firefly funko pops littered throughout, Ninja Turtles figures propped up on everything, etc.

Then you get people saying shit like, "Oh, you like Japanese arcade games from the 90s? I'm into Dr. Who, we should hang out." No... Fuck outta here.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Been thinking recently about how people, usually involved in or adjacent to arcade or rEtRo gaming, lump everything that they're interested in into one massive, crusty ball. That's how you end up with these game rooms that have sticks like this with GI Joe art, Nightmare Before Christmas, Star Wars, and Marvel posters on the wall, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Firefly funko pops littered throughout, Ninja Turtles figures propped up on everything, etc.

Then you get people saying shit like, "Oh, you like Japanese arcade games from the 90s? I'm into Dr. Who, we should hang out." No... Fuck outta here.
That's because people like that just amass stuff and have no connection to any of it whatsoever. They want a room full of crap just because they think it's cool or their fav influencer told them so. Then they come up with yet another yt channel and deliver the same shit like everyone else, just with a different face.

Sign of the times. I usually steer well clear of anything yt-related with the word "retro" in the title, it'd just drive up my blood pressure to dangerous levels.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Like I said, owning fuck loads of retro ... Is now retro.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Do you really want to be lumped in with any of these people. My place has no 80s Ghostbuster movie posters and I wear plain t shirts

If you wear back to the future and star wars t shirts after 35 have a word innit

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Do you really want to be lumped in with any of these people. My place has no 80s Ghostbuster movie posters and I wear plain t shirts

If you wear back to the future and star wars t shirts after 35 have a word innit
The graphic t shirts usually don't bother me unless it's actual stuff for children on it. Pokemon, Nintendo characters, TMNT etc. You see an adult in public wearing a Sonic the Hedgehog shirt then yeah.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
The graphic t shirts usually don't bother me unless it's actual stuff for children on it. Pokemon, Nintendo characters, TMNT etc. You see an adult in public wearing a Sonic the Hedgehog shirt then yeah.
Hmm, my kids got me a “Pokémon trainer” sweatshirt for a gift…I know nothing about Pokémon but it’s a comfortable sweatshirt so I still wear it…

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Do parents get a pass? If not, the hell with you.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
This is one of those situations where you need a tank of kerosene and a match.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
whats wrong with back to the future
Eh. Like most overpraised 80s stuff. Who honestly cares about it? I barely did as a kid and now you got mouth breathers thinking it's the best thing ever.

Much like retro gimps who refuse to play good modern games because they've given up and are happy to play terrible games forever

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Rick and Morty probably caused some of the new found love for Back to the Future.

As for retro gimps… meh there was alot more variety in videogames 15 years + ago. Teams and development costs were smaller, more risks were taken. I’ll still play the next Elder Scrolls and big budget crap like that but alot of games genres haven’t evolved and are arguably worse than they used to be.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I'm not sure what variety there was in 2007, the most generic bald action hero period there ever was. Brown town

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Eh. Like most overpraised 80s stuff. Who honestly cares about it? I barely did as a kid and now you got mouth breathers thinking it's the best thing ever.

Much like retro gimps who refuse to play good modern games because they've given up and are happy to play terrible games forever

I get your basic vibe, but I disagree here. There was a sort of “family action comedy” thing that they really mastered in the 80s. Back to the Future, Raiders, Goonies…they don’t make them like that anymore and I think it’s fine to be into that. None of these movies are the greatest though.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I have a shit ton of movie posters but I keep thinking hanging them is going to look stupid for anyone normal unless I make a projection room proper. But it's still 1000 times less stupid than having that crapmame abomination with 50 different input methods playing YOU WA SHAWK, blinking and blowing smoke. I'd honestly have urges to throw everything in the dump (disassembled and inside a matrioska of trash bags so the trashmen don't figure out I'm this retarded) if I was the owner.

Of course Reddit mouthbreathers will think this is awesome. Why is it that 99% of people embarking in the custom cab quest are people that know nothing of arcade cabs and games at all?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I only bought 2 posters in my life - one was a Pearl Jam one and one was Nirvana. I hung them up in my college dorm room briefly until I realized that every time I laid down in my bed I was staring at Eddie Vedder and that was kind of gay.

Since then I've only had family photos and some art on walls.

I also never wore graphic tees, even in Middle School or High School. I went to a Quaker school that had a light uniform requirement...meaning no big logos or images on clothes, only collared shirts, etc. I guess that kind of carried forward.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
i thought you only went to quran school
all the knowledge you will ever need