Your Favourite Digital-Only 'PSN/XBL' Title from PS3/360 era...

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Just before we get the ball rolling, what am I defining as a 'Digital-Only 'PSN/XBL' Title from Last Gen'?

A game which originally released on PSN/XBL, exclusively for those consoles, exclusively as a DLC only title. If a game has since been released as a physical thereafter (i.e. Journey was physical later) it still counts as it's origins were as a Digital title.

Games that were previously PC/Indie titles released for the first time on consoles via PSN/XBL also count (there's probably loads of these?).

Games that were originally console titles given the 'quick' HD (etc) treatment and re-released DON'T count (i.e. 3rd Strike Online or RE4:HD etc), however, a remake like Flashback counts.

I'll try not to overcomplicate this, but no doubt, someone else will attempt to do so as there's always grey areas ;)

-

My favourite Digital Only title from last gen has to be: Hard Corps: Uprising. By far, this is the digital only title that received the most attention and playtime from me.

Overall, I was left really impressed with the presentation of the game. I thought the main characters, although very 'Arc', were cool. The visuals were really nice too. Again, very 'Arc' but... they really benefited from this. The animation on the characters was great.

The music in the game was outrageously good. Typical Ishiwatari fare, but again, not a bad thing. The music on the opening section of the game alone really got the adrenaline going and had you dashing towards the enemies, recklessly, all guns blazing! Love the dash btw.

Not forgetting the gameplay. Arc did a great job of updating this game imo. Sure, it doesn't play exactly like a thoroughbred 'Contra', but again (running theme?), this is not a bad thing, as teh game plays excellently, is very responsive and the dash and double jump adds something extra to an already great, existing recipe.

HCU3.jpg

I also enjoyed the predictable, but welcome inclusion of the Rising Mode, whereby you character starts off weak-as-piss, but you can earn points/money to buy level ups for your character, weapons, abilities etc.

I'm really a fan of the fact that, back when Retro-style titles weren't quite as big as they are now (still big, but it's really taken flight in the last 5 years) Arc put this game out and they absolutely put 101% into delivering a solid run-n-gun title when everyone else was obsessing over the latest cover-shooter, FPS or general TP-perspective title. Did it deserve a sequel?: Yes. But, as we all know, sequels aren't always necessary nor do they improve on their predecessors. I'm simply grateful we even got this tbh!...

By far, my favourite Digital-Only title from PSN/XBL.

-

Runners Up:

Bloodrayne: Betrayal
Hotline Miami
Carnivores HD (I know but... attempting to stalk the T-Rex and Raptors on the foggy forest level was great fun. Once the T-rex has your number, you're usually fucked, which is entertaining)

Last edited:

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
:( OP should expand to Vita and PC from that era, most of the digital only games I have on PS3/XBox 360 are re-releases of Neo Games, Radiant Silvergun/Ikaruga and PSX re-releases.

PSP/Vita has an excellent download-only game: Legend of Heroes: TiTS SC.

I enjoy Shovel Knight which was digital only to begin with, but the copy I have is the WiiU Physical Version

On PC, during that era Minecraft was released. And one of my favorite digital only games: Long Live the Queen.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Bastion

ive never been so impressed for what could be seen as a short game. The live narrator is just amazing and immersive. I cant believe more games havent tried to implement this. They packed in so much replay into this game as well. I racked up almost a 100hrs for game where you could finish the story line in 10 hours. Transistor was a worthy follow-up title from SuperGiant games, and they just annouced their teaser for the next title Pyre.

NeoGeoNinja

:( OP should expand to Vita and PC from that era, most of the digital only games I have on PS3/XBox 360 are re-releases of Neo Games, Radiant Silvergun/Ikaruga and PSX re-releases.
Denied.

This is PS3/360 specific. End of.

Your inability to invest in new digital-only experiences, exclusive to PS3 & 360, instead of just buying re-releases of old games, is not my problem I'm afraid.

Regards.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

PSP/Vita has an excellent download-only game: Legend of Heroes: TiTS SC.

I enjoy Shovel Knight which was digital only to begin with, but the copy I have is the WiiU Physical Version

On PC, during that era Minecraft was released. And one of my favorite digital only games: Long Live the Queen.

Read the title, dipshit.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
HDR
Magic The Gathering (Very unique arcade title vs previous titles for pc)
Omega V
Hard Corps Spirits
Pac-Man Champinoship & DX+
N+
Lode Runner
Trials
Rush & Attack ex-patriot
Shadow Complex
Duck Tales (it was exclusive at first)
Bionic Commando Rearmed
I'll come up with more

NeoGeoNinja

HDR
Magic The Gathering (Very unique arcade title vs previous titles for pc)
Omega V
Hard Corps Spirits
Pac-Man Champinoship & DX+
N+
Lode Runner
Trials
Rush & Attack ex-patriot
Shadow Complex
Duck Tales (it was exclusive at first)
Bionic Commando Rearmed
I'll come up with more

'Your Favourite Digital-Only 'PSN/XBL' Title from PS3/360 era'

;)

Just the one. Commit!

Undefined

Pope Sazae's fake account
Castle Crashers

HDR, Urban Trial Freestyle, and Galaga Legions DX are top notch as well. There are a ton of great digital only games from that era.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
HDR got a physical release for Xbox. Same with Blood Dragon so I cant pick that either.

Without a doubt its Moon Diver.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
HDR was 1st released digitally so it does count. I placed HDR first in my list 'cause that is the best game out of it. I'm so committed I want HDRChump to come out of retirement, resume his "arcade career" and let me ended in a grand finale, grant him closure, allow him to die a hero while I remain...

Last edited:

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Retro City Rampage. Loved it so much, I double dipped to get it on my 3DS as well, just to have it on the go. Worth every penny.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Retro City Rampage. Loved it so much, I double dipped to get it on my 3DS as well, just to have it on the go. Worth every penny.

thought that was great. also of note that i loved, but not mentioned: super meat boy, race the sun, helldivers, counterspy (super love that one), and half minute hero.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I've played the crap out of the Pac-Man Championship Edition games. Those games owned me for quite some time.

I have also put in more hours playing Uno on XBL than I care to admit.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Pinball Arcade - I've spent way too much time playing this. The physics are good and you don't have to worry about dead flippers, drop targets, bumpers, etc.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Journey was phenomenal and easily one of the best games I've ever played, but if I had to pick one, it's be Phantom Breaker Battle Grounds. Not as deep as Guardian Heroes, insanely fun nonetheless.

Last edited:

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Denied.

This is PS3/360 specific. End of.

Your inability to invest in new digital-only experiences, exclusive to PS3 & 360, instead of just buying re-releases of old games, is not my problem I'm afraid.

Regards.

The inability of Microsoft or Sony to provide decent digital only exclusive releases that are better than what was released on Steam.... is not my problem, but might be yours.

Edit: Have fun talking about the 10 or so titles that are on topic. :)

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Pac-Man CE DX+ - played SOOOOO much... was in the top 100 on the leaderboard for a hot minute before it got all shitted up by cheaters
'Splosion Man - while I appreciate the precise twitchiness of Super Meat Boy, my blood pressure and I had a lot more fun with Splosion Man
Rock Band Blitz - endless hours leaderboard chasing on this one too. Having 300+ DLC songs amassed from the other RB games helped
Telltale Walking Dead Season 1 - brilliant interactive storytelling... so many punch in the gut moments (technically released on disc later but was originally a digital thing)
Geometry Wars - damn-near perfect old school arcade game

There's about 10 other games I could certainly add (Jourmey. Brothers, Limbo, Castle Crashers, HD Remix, etc.). Fuck there were a lot of good games last-gen.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
A few good ones mentioned. Trials was really good as was Pac Man. The answer however is Braid.

bradtemple87

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Shadow Complex, really looking forward to the ps4 remaster and playing through it again