NBA Finals 2009 -- THE LAKERS (vs the Magic)

El_Duque

Andy's Clothess,
lol

Keep thinking that. Even if they did "give Orlando a game" they'd need to give the Magic at least two (if Lakers were intending on winning the series in L.A.) because it's a 2-3-2 format.

I'm glad Magic got the win, we shot very well. But Orlando still needs to win game 4 in order to make this a real series. I'd like to see better closeouts on defense and better rebounding from everybody on the Magic not named Dwight Howard.

I'm surprised that the Magic shot 70% from the field and only won by 4.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
I'm a big fan of traditional "hatred rivalries." It's a lost art here in the U.S.A., as if people think that supporting one thing (of any nature) doesn't inherently require the rejection of the opposite side's values, those who support it, and anything remotely related to it.

On that note, the beautiful tradition of throwing an enemy's home run ball back on to the field, is grounds for being thrown out of a stadium thanks to MLB's official wussifying of rivalry. :oh_no:

I couldn't agree more.

Rivalries between teams were made even better when the opposing fans hated each other with a passion. Now it's become such that opposing fans might get ridiculed here and there, but they aren't afraid to go to other team's venues to cheer their team on. 20 years ago, you would never have seen lots of Canadiens fans going to the old Boston Garden to cheer their team on against the Bruins. They would have and did get the shit beat out of them if they were there, now everyone plays nice. I'm not saying you kill people but don't let them feel safe to come into the opposing team's place.

You can get thrown out of the stadium now for tossing a baseball back on the field???

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
I couldn't agree more.

Rivalries between teams were made even better when the opposing fans hated each other with a passion. Now it's become such that opposing fans might get ridiculed here and there, but they aren't afraid to go to other team's venues to cheer their team on. 20 years ago, you would never have seen lots of Canadiens fans going to the old Boston Garden to cheer their team on against the Bruins. They would have and did get the shit beat out of them if they were there, now everyone plays nice. I'm not saying you kill people but don't let them feel safe to come into the opposing team's place.

You can get thrown out of the stadium now for tossing a baseball back on the field???

I was watching Sportscenter yesterday and saw that a fan got thrown out for accidentally catching a live ball when he thought it was a foul. He had to leave his wife and kids behind which was just flat out wrong.

Two months ago, I was watching the WWE live and the soccer moms were all hissing at me just because I was being a true fan; shouting for the people I liked and booing the people I disliked. They were all pissy just because I was booing John Cena! :D

As for this series, everyone is looking forward to the Lakers winning it. Hell, even ESPN was riding their jock on Sportscenter yesterday. I really want Orlando to win it but I never get what I want in sports. D:

El_Duque

Andy's Clothess,
OrLOLdo!

The Magic can have game 5.

3-2 Lakers lead going back to Staples Center.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
As much as I want to see the Lakers lose in the finals, after tonight Orlando doesn't deserve to win the title. That was as bad a choke I saw in regulation than I ever saw, more the pity :(

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
NBA Finals
Los Angeles vs Orlando
All games on ABC and TSN
Lakers lead series 3-1

Game 1- Los Angeles 100, Orlando 75.
Game 2- Los Angeles 101, Orlando 96, OT.
Game 3- Orlando 108, Los Angeles 104.
Game 4- Los Angeles 99, Orlando 91.
Game 5- at Orlando Sunday, June 14, 8 pm ET
*-Game 6- at Los Angeles Tuesday, June 16, 9 pm ET
*-Game 7- at Los Angeles Thursday, June 18, 9 pm ET

*- if necessary

Neo Mike

Creative Moderator, Art Gallery Coordinator,
20 Year Member
Fish was money.

Party on Figueroa.

Don't mess with LA.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Well the series is pretty much over now.

I imagine we might be able to win Game 5, but I have to say considering I wanted this team to at least get to the ECF and we went to the NBA Finals we had a pretty darn successful season. I'm very proud of what they were able to accomplish this season.

The offseason scares me more though because we probably will lose Turkoglu and might lose Gortat so it'll be interesting to see what kind of offseason moves Otis Smith makes.

Last edited:

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
To me, the biggest story of the game was Howard going 6-14 at the free throw line. I know he's normally not so hot at the line (60% career), but that was just pitiful.

The Magic are a damn good team, it's just, when it's all on the line in the final seconds, they've missed out on clutch shots and the Lakers have made them. Grace under pressure ? Luck ?

Probably a little of both.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
HACK-A-DWIGHT!!

Also, 'bout time the Cavs realized that Mike Brown is a joke.

racecar

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
20 Year Member
what a choke Howard can win games for ORL but he is a definitely a liability when it comes to free throws ... he needs some serious work on free throws in the off season, as for grotant , houston might be shopping for a big man to replace matumbo and yao is prone to injurys so he might not be able to play all season.
turkglu is making 7 mil but with his play in th emagic's run he might be a making 9 next year he a good fit in San Antonio,

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Dwight sucks.

Can't build a team around him, no freaking way. I about fell off my couch when the idiots commentating were saying "you go into Dwight for a quick two" on the last play of regulation.

Um, hell no, because all you have to do is foul him. SVG knew, just like I did, and had Hedo inbound to Rashard. Hell, I'm sure Jameer was the third option, and he hasn't played all season.

Speaking of Jameer, is it just me, or is SVG looking like a moron for taking the PG that the team is used to playing with and went to the Finals with, and sticking in a dude who's rusty as shit and doesn't have his wind and going with him?

I'm with Arcademan on this- I hate the Lakers, at this point, but I can't help but root against Orlando at this point. They don't deserve to win (sorry, gekiga).

edit: and further proof that the NBA is GAY GAY GAY (points, retroactively, for lesdangerousk), what in the blue fucking hell is Bennett Salvatore doing reffing in the Finals? He's easily the worst official in all of pro sports, and this is a fairly widely-known fact. So he gets the highest ratings of all the refs in the league and refs the Finals? Great. The man who single-handedly won the title for the Heat in '06 is rewarded for his ineptitude.

Last edited:

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Dwight sucks.

Can't build a team around him, no freaking way. I about fell off my couch when the idiots commentating were saying "you go into Dwight for a quick two" on the last play of regulation.

Um, hell no, because all you have to do is foul him. SVG knew, just like I did, and had Hedo inbound to Rashard. Hell, I'm sure Jameer was the third option, and he hasn't played all season.

Speaking of Jameer, is it just me, or is SVG looking like a moron for taking the PG that the team is used to playing with and went to the Finals with, and sticking in a dude who's rusty as shit and doesn't have his wind and going with him?

I'm with Arcademan on this- I hate the Lakers, at this point, but I can't help but root against Orlando at this point. They don't deserve to win (sorry, gekiga).

edit: and further proof that the NBA is GAY GAY GAY (points, retroactively, for lesdangerousk), what in the blue fucking hell is Bennett Salvatore doing reffing in the Finals? He's easily the worst official in all of pro sports, and this is a fairly widely-known fact. So he gets the highest ratings of all the refs in the league and refs the Finals? Great. The man who single-handedly won the title for the Heat in '06 is rewarded for his ineptitude.

Well let's not forget not only Bennett Salvatore (who was the MVP of the '06 Finals) , but also was Scott Foster, Tim Donaghy's phone buddy. ;)

I mean I hate the Lakers and all, but I give them credit for winning in spite of how all the calls went against them. I mean the Magic were given the golden opportunity to not only win, but to win easily yet no one on the team could make a FT. Let's not forget how Rashard Lewis decided to completely vanish...I mean holy shit he did nothing what did he finish with 6 fucking points?

But while the Magic didn't win, all you need to do is look at the disparity in FT's in the 4th quarter to see how the NBA tries to rig their games. It's unusual that a team plays so shitty, they still lose in spite of being practically given the opportunity to win.

racecar

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
20 Year Member
Y'know, if the Coyotes don't work out --they apparently have a good arena and a big-money guy who's willing to bring in a team. :p

blackberry guy will get a 7th NHL team for Canada Guaranteed ....:mr_t:
jim_balsillie.jpg

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Y'know, if the Coyotes don't work out --they apparently have a good arena and a big-money guy who's willing to bring in a team. :p

I know that's NHL, but I guess I just failed to make the connection with NBA and NHL.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Maybe the Blackberry will pour more money into the team and make it a winner :p

Second best team (most likely) ain't that bad.

Huge improvement over losing a series 4-1 in the second round last year for us. :p