KoF XIII Port this Winter

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
As for wishing SNK would have died, yes, guilty right here. I think playmore has done things right with this game though. It's a lot better than that other crap from 2002 onwards.

Yeah, but what I meant was, is this game good enough (if it's not too soon to tell) to make you glad they didn't die off after all? Does this game, and possible future games that hopefully keep improving, make putting up with the last decade of SNKP stuff worth it? Now that the consensus seems to be they are no longer sullying SNK's name. At least to nowhere near the level they kind of had been.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Yeah, but what I meant was, is this game good enough (if it's not too soon to tell) to make you glad they didn't die off after all? Does this game, and possible future games that hopefully keep improving, make putting up with the last decade of SNKP stuff worth it? Now that the consensus seems to be they are no longer sullying SNK's name. At least to nowhere near the level they kind of had been.

No. They still shit all over Samurai Shodown. I am conflicted about it still. The game is very good. I'll leave it at that.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Looking forward to picking this up tomorrow! Quick question to those who've picked it up already: are the characters as pixelated as the were in XII? It looked like they blew up the sprites in that one and it bugged me since all the previews at the time made the graphics out to be really clean.
They did not redraw the character sprites, if that's what you're asking. They are still the dot art they chose to go with for some mystifying reason only the SNKP staff would know.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
They did not redraw the character sprites, if that's what you're asking. They are still the dot art they chose to go with for some mystifying reason only the SNKP staff would know.

Thanks Kid, that's what I was after. I'm still gong to buy the game anyway to support the cause, at least I won't be surprised when I see the sprites. I used to be a classical animator which is the only reason it bugs me.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Just got back from the gym with my copy, gonna be all up in this shit like cement mix & motor oil in a broke trannys buttocks.

And IGN can eat a burlap sack of horse cocks....shit, even SRK.com had nothing but good things to say about the game save a few gripes about the online.

Stick with reviews from folks who know and play fighting games.
Some Cawadoody faggot born in 1997 knows jack shit and I don't expect him to.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
The soccer of fighting games finally going to make it's mark in the US.

This made me smile. Nice review over on srk's front page.

I'm glad Playmore survived to make this. I'm conflicted tho. My other Playmore fighter on 360 is SamShoSen. Which way will things go from here?

XIII is a leap in the right direction.

Last edited:

Ruell

, I FORGOT MY SECRET SANTA OBLIGATION. FUCK ME, RI
Got my copy at gamestop today. Apparently I was the only one at my store that preordered it. none of the cashiers knew what game i was talking about until the manager had to dig it out of the lock drawer. They didn't even have any on the shelf. Kinda of sad, but oh wells. I'm enjoying this very much.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
I cant get the timing right for the max cancel in tutorial. Wtf!
:down::downb::back::downb::down::downf::forw:Lp to :down::downf::forw:x2 +lphp

Can't connect them

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Woo sooo much better than xii and i've only played one credit.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I cant get the timing right for the max cancel in tutorial. Wtf!
:down::downb::back::downb::down::downf::forw:Lp to :down::downf::forw:x2 +lphp

Can't connect them

Do the LK+HP first, then try to do the DM and Max.

Also, I'm happy with the exploding clothes on the female team members.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
He sure did however Arc System Works isn't Capcom's Rival. Almost every hardcore Capcom fan I know has this slight dislike of SNK games due to the 2 companies being longtime rivals. Whenever they speak about an SNK game they always have to nitpick the silliest little things in an effort to make the games seem so inferior to Capcom games.

You know, this is a pretty good point. I have to deal with this with all my SF fan friends. They complain about stupid shit, and it's partly just to irritate me:

4 buttons
Pachinko
Company died once already and nearly died again
Lost their relevance
KOF XII

To them, the Neo Geo is a quaint little novelty. They enjoy Fatal Fury (the first one) more because it reminds them of a simpler time in their lives, and the uniqueness of the game at the time.

But I ask them if they've played FF 3, and only one of them has. The rest stopped at SamSho 2.

It's pretty fucking annoying.

Regarding the soundtrack, it sounds fine to me. Not 'the greatest soundtrack for a game ever' but I think it fits the material rather well.

I'd never mute it or turn it down. It's fun, it's fast, it's light, and it feels like a SNK style soundtrack. Perfect for KOF, IMO.

And even though I'm not one of the people that wanted them to die back in 2000 (although after XII, I really wanted them to sell off the IPs), I'll respond to that anyway.

I don't think this game is really worth all the frustration of the past decade. The decline from greatness, the rivalry with Capcom, their status as one of the premiere fighting game developers leading up to 2000. I think it's going to take more than this game to make me feel glad I stuck it out all these years. I gave that company so much loyalty, love and money (I can't even begin to count all the different versions of the same game they've released time and again) and kept holding out that we'd see a rebirth eventually.

XIII is a great first step and recovery after the gory abortion that was XII. They've picked themselves up off the mat and they're swinging. Let's hope they can sustain.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
You know you're a nerd when you can name the tracks. Which one is that?
I only know a few track names. But anyway here it is. Whenever I read a post from SouthtownKid and Takumaji this song pops in my head LOL.

TurboCro

AESwipe,
I was able to play 2 opponents online, with good results netcode wise. Problem was I had trouble getting matches (easier to get HDR matches). I like the game but I'm afraid without comp this will just fizzle out. I didn't pre-order and was the only one at my store to even mention the game. Wish the AI was better so I could get more out of 1p.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I unlocked Saiki using what I read from k' 127 on the atlus boards. But unlike what he said, I think the main idea is only to do about 5-7 challenges in each round, rather than getting a certain score. I was getting over 400k a round and didn't get Saiki, but when I did 5-7 challenges a round, I got a much lower score and he showed up.

Hide

Banned
Most of JPN fans speculated Yuri finally 'arrived to the last stage' with Robert, since she's got the radical haircut. Anyway, in the arcade there was a secret set of colors that brought back her trademark long tail. I guess that should be in the home version as well.

Best wishes for your wedding, mate! You and your bride surely are a lovely couple! :)

(BTW, is you're in Singapore do you happen to know my missing friend Alex Deffty?)

Thanks buddy.

Yea Alex is my friend. He used to live about 15km or so away and I used to visit him often to talk games and stuff.
Not too long ago he became stationed overseas due to work. Not sure if he's back already though.
The last time I called his mobile, his bro picked it up and said he was still away.

He's a great lad. Modded my 2 Slot for Stereo and also helped me got a few arcade pcbs.

Soniku

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Done.

So I bought both the PS3 and 360 versions because I'm a crazy person and I know I'll want to switch between my 360 TE FightSchtick and my NeoGeo Stick 2 or whatever it's called.

I just booted the PS3 version of the game with the NG Stick 2 connected and input doesn't work? I never used this stick before, maybe it's broken? Wait, wut? No, it worked on the dashboard or whatever it's called just a moment ago.

Turns out it appears that USB controllers that don't have a home button don't work?

Torta said:

Huh?

What?

I quit.

SNKP FUCKIN PUT THIS STICK OUT THEMSELVES, THERE'S NO EXCUSE FOR THIS SHIT TO BE OVERLOOKED.

They can't be serious.

There's no way they play-tested this game even once, there's just no possible way.

I never thought I'd be this angry over a video game, or at a video game company, but holy shit SNKP pulls their special brand of bullshit yet again!

I don't even know where to begin, there's just no fuckin excuse, NONE whatsoever. I don't even know what to say or even entirely how to react... Just wow, really? HOW!? WHY!?

misc-jackie-chan.jpg

It has to be intentional, they're just messing with people... Right!?

They're like video game port terrorists or something. (I hope that statement becomes a meme.)

I don't even want to boot my 360 copy now, I just don't care anymore.

I want a written apology from every last person tied to this port (hell, even the original creation of the game), my money back x5, and I don't know... a public ball-kicking of everyone responsible for this batshit insanity?

Just tie each and every last person involved with this game to a chain-link fence, and let everyone who got FUCKED line up and kick them all in the balls one-by-one. Or all at once, I dunno. Whatever.

Even a patch can't fix the level of trauma that I'm experiencing right now.

How can they be so incapable of getting ANYTHING right even once? Especially after the past DECADE of embarrassing ports, and in some cases, Sonic-quality games. :annoyed:

Sonic Cycle? More like SNKP cycle. Amirite!? :tickled:

Oh and there goes my phone randomly rebooting again. It must sense my anger. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Soniku

Spam

PS: In case anyone noticed I'm kinda pissed off.

I'm sick of how everything SNKP puts out is broken and leaves you with nothing but false hope for a half-assed patch.

I'm done making excuses for them.

They're a bad company run by bad people.

I can't even sum up my anger with words. I need better writing skills or a broader vocabulary or something.

Edit: Since I waited forever to play this game (And was even disappointed that the only two days I was in San Francisco back in July was when South Town Arcade was closed. :crying: Adding salt to the wound, I even stumbled upon the place by accident even though I wasn't looking for it since I knew it was closed. :() I said fuck it and decided to try the game before bed with a godawful PS3 pad since I was too lazy to break out my 360 stick.

My thumb already hurts from this piece, but the game is fun at least.

Oh and I LOVE the bullshit irremovable blur filter on the sprites. Just absolutely ADORE it. :rolleyes:

Way to go SNKP/Atlas! Way to go. :oh_no:

Last edited:

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
So I bought both the PS3 and 360 versions because I'm a crazy person and I know I'll want to switch between my 360 TE FightSchtick and my NeoGeo Stick 2 or whatever it's called.

I just booted the PS3 version of the game with the NG Stick 2 connected and input doesn't work? I never used this stick before, maybe it's broken? Wait, wut? No, it worked on the dashboard or whatever it's called just a moment ago.

Turns out it appears that USB controllers that don't have a home button don't work?

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/kof-xiii-ps3-usb-pad-problem.149670/

Huh?

What?

I quit.

SNKP FUCKIN PUT THIS STICK OUT THEMSELVES, THERE'S NO EXCUSE FOR THIS SHIT TO BE OVERLOOKED.

They can't be serious.

There's no way they play-tested this game even once, there's just no possible way.

I never thought I'd be this angry over a video game, or at a video game company, but holy shit SNKP pulls their special brand of bullshit yet again!

I don't even know where to begin, there's just no fuckin excuse, NONE whatsoever. I don't even know what to say or even entirely how to react... Just wow, really? HOW!? WHY!?

misc-jackie-chan.jpg

It has to be intentional, they're just messing with people... Right!?

They're like video game port terrorists or something. (I hope that statement becomes a meme.)

I don't even want to boot my 360 copy now, I just don't care anymore.

I want a written apology from every last person tied to this port (hell, even the original creation of the game), my money back x5, and I don't know... a public ball-kicking of everyone responsible for this batshit insanity?

Just tie each and every last person involved with this game to a chain-link fence, and let everyone who got FUCKED line up and kick them all in the balls one-by-one. Or all at once, I dunno. Whatever.

Even a patch can't fix the level of trauma that I'm experiencing right now.

How can they be so incapable of getting ANYTHING right even once? Especially after the past DECADE of embarrassing ports, and in some cases, Sonic-quality games. :annoyed:

Sonic Cycle? More like SNKP cycle. Amirite!? :tickled:

Oh and there goes my phone randomly rebooting again. It must sense my anger. :rolleyes:

i947.photobucket.com_albums_ad315_SabresDude81_Macho_Man_Cool_Story_Bro.jpg

Hide

Banned
PS3 AES STICK ISSUES

Hi Guys,

Just a heads up.
The PS3 AES Stick does not work.

However my TE stick worked well. Likewise for HRAP V3.
I prefer the old-school layout though.
Hopefully there'll be some kind of update to enable it's workability.

*edit: sorry for repeating. i just realized Soniku has mentioned it in his post prior.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
PS: In case anyone noticed I'm kinda pissed off.

I'm sick of how everything SNKP puts out is broken and leaves you with nothing but false hope for a half-assed patch.

I'm done making excuses for them.

They're a bad company run by bad people.

I can't even sum up my anger with words. I need better writing skills or a broader vocabulary or something.

Edit: Since I waited forever to play this game (And was even disappointed that the only two days I was in San Francisco back in July was when South Town Arcade was closed. :crying: Adding salt to the wound, I even stumbled upon the place by accident even though I wasn't looking for it since I knew it was closed. :() I said fuck it and decided to try the game before bed with a godawful PS3 pad since I was too lazy to break out my 360 stick.

My thumb already hurts from this piece, but the game is fun at least.

Oh and I LOVE the bullshit irremovable blur filter on the sprites. Just absolutely ADORE it. :rolleyes:

Way to go SNKP/Atlas! Way to go. :oh_no:
You must be a real joy to live with.

Soniku

You must be a real joy to live with.

Seriously, no one could tell that I was being retarded over-the-top? I know it wasn't really funny (So why do I do it? I don't know.), but for whatever reason I enjoy writing moronic Internet rants when I'm on this forum. I'm not like that in real-life, hell I'm hardly like that on other forums. Just this one. Must be teh drama. :/

But really, I am pissed, just not THAT pissed. It's more the factor that this blows my mind (way more than it should, I'm sure) that gets to me though. I mean why suddenly take away the blur filter toggle? Why now. Everyone always appreciated the fact that it was there, I don't even understand why they make filters to begin with. And no joystick support? Who was testing the game without a joystick? It's a fighting game and the company that made it, made one of the sticks that doesn't work. I mean come on... This is standard, basic stuff. The primary and fundamental building blocks of a fighting game's package, if you will. Especially since the last decade.

Even if everything else with the game is fine, even the netcode, I can't believe they'd ship a game in this state (little to or no joystick support for an entire platform, not the filter toggle part). There's seriously no quality control over at SNKP. I'll give Atlus the benefit of the doubt on this considering I've really never had a problem with anything else they've published in the past.

I want to say that they'll probably just patch the problem. The joystick support at the very least. But even if they do, they'll probably just inadvertently break something else with the patch. There are just way too many indefinite factors with SNKP, unlike more reputable developers that just patch bugs shortly after the community finds them.

I'm going to stop myself before I go on a tangent again.

Dio Brando

Mickey's Coach
Finally got my copy earlier this evening and spent a few hours playing the game with a number of friends.

As a KOF neophyte, with only a handful of hours playing 98' and XII, I can say XIII is pretty darn awesome so far. While I know diddly-squat about what should be expected from the series, it's certainly one of the more fun fighters I have played. I feel inexperienced and clumsy, but the game is pulling me in, and I see myself spending many hours crafting my abilities. I hope to even improve myself enough to face some of you guys on the PSN. I'll still get creamed, of course, just a little less. :lolz:

Right now, my team is looking to be Takuma, Robert, and Yuri, though I am still checking out some of the fighters I am less familiar with.