Official E3 2014 Thread

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
I dont mind most games being released next year...There's enough to leave me busy trough the rest of this year...Planetside 2 (PS4), Destiny, Oddworld, BF4 dlc, Ultra Street Fighter 4, Hotline Miami 2, Dark Souls 2 and some 3DS stuff...and if i get a WiiU for Bayonetta 2 there's a LOT of backcatalog to keep me busy till next summer or further...

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I have to give it to Nintendo. They definitely made the best announcements.

They're promoting Baynoetta as a franchise that matters even though the first game only has cult status. Including the first game with the second one is a pure class act. Is she in the new Smas Bros?

The Smash Bros. reveals are all really cool. I probably won't buy it because I'm not a fan of that series, but I think the game will do well.

the new look for Zelda is the right way to go. Zelda isn't going to draw new audiences by repeating the 8 and 16 bit looks. That works for handheld/niche markets, but those fans are already sold. I also like the fact that they seem to be taking some chances with the series' formula. I'll play it either way, but I'm cool with the changes. I've liked every Zelda game that's come out.

Hyrule Warriors looks fun as hell. It may not be 'Legend of Zelda' but I'm looking forward to playing this game all the same.

The Witcher 3 remains my number one game of E3 so far, but Nintendo has definitely made the other console manufacturers look pretty timid by comparison.

Assassin's Creed: Unity is starting to look more and more appealing to me. If the devs' comments hold true, this could be the best one yet.

Oh, and Abyss Odyssey just shot to the top of my list of games I must own this year. It looks incredible.

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
So I got to watch the presentations last night, and for me, the 3 big nintendo highlights are:

Star Fox
Captain Toad - Nintendo has a way with these types of games, looks fun and oozing with charm and fan service.
Kirby Wii U - This totally took me by surprise. It looks like a quasi-sequel to Canvas Curse, which I loved. Game seems early on, but was super excited to see it.

I have to say though, wasn't so crazy about Devil's Third. I actually like Itagaki - Ninja Gaiden and DOA are among my two favorite series and games I still play regularly. But I dunno, Devil's Third didn't do much for me. Part of Ninja Gaiden's charm is the awesomeness of Ryu. Now, I am not expecting that level of awesomeness in Devil's Third...but that protagonist seems pretty unlikeable. Granted, I'll be playing for the action...but still, that dude just rubs me the wrong way.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I have to agree. Taiso, I take it you obviously saw the Rogue/Ninja trailer reveal as well for FFXIV.

Yeah, it's cool to see. There are already people complaining bout the fact that the two swords take up one item slot and that it won't be as cool as NIN from XI because there aren't attributes in FF XIV, but I don't really care about all that noise. I am just looking forward to doing some cool DPS with magic damage, maybe some input commands for special attacks, flipping all over the place and getting my Sprinja on. I play FF XIV for fun, not to be an elite level player, so as long as I can be a Ninja, I'm good with everything else.

Moe:

I agree with you about Devil's Third. The main character's a fucking douchebag from what I can tell. Didn't we outgrow Duke Nukem? How does giving him a sword change that formula? It's the same reason Yaiba is so damn annoying in Ninja Gaiden Z. I like the idea of integrating guns with swordplay in a Ninja Gaiden style action setting, but this character looks like shit compared to Ryu Hayabusa.

I get it. Itagaki wants to make sure people don't see him just rehashing a franchise he's not involved with anymore, but did he have to make the lead such an annoying, outdated action movie cliche? I really hope there are other characters because unless this game gets big time reviews on release, I am skipping this game if I'm stuck with Shooty Foulmouth McChopsalot III Esquire. I can't inhabit the same virtual space with an irritating jerk for a 15-20 hour campaign.

Last edited:

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Yeah, it's cool to see. There are already people complaining bout the fact that the two swords take up one item slot and that it won't be as cool as NIN from XI because there aren't attributes in FF XIV, but I don't really care about all that noise. I am just looking forward to doing some cool DPS with magic damage, maybe some input commands for special attacks, flipping all over the place and getting my Sprinja on. I play FF XIV for fun, not to be an elite level player, so as long as I can be a Ninja, I'm good with everything else.

I agree once again. I play FFXIV casually compared to my XI days. I was a Ninja since 2003 and the last thing I want in XIV is it to be a community forced tank again. Like you I just want a unique DPS.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
The only thing that'll make me give a fuck about Smash Bros is the announcement of Cuphead and Mugman joining the roster.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
The only thing that'll make me give a fuck about Smash Bros is the announcement of Cuphead and Mugman joining the roster.

If they added Ryu Hayabusa or Strider Hiryu, it'd be a day one buy for me.

Or Guts. They should add Guts. Just because.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Street Fighter V going pay to win?
Sponichi Annex Japan said:
Although Capcom did not announce a new fighting game at E3 this year, according to Sponichi Annex, the online portal for the Sports Nippon Japanese newspaper, one of the fighting games maker's top executives did make a few comments regarding the next Street Fighter.

Capcom president and COO Haruhiro Tsujimoto said to media representatives in a group interview at E3 that the Osaka-based games maker has plans to develop a Street Fighter 5, and that it would not only fully utilise the unique features of online gaming, but also attempt to broaden the player base by making it more accessible for newcomers.

"We'd like to steer away from making the next game such that skilled players will win, but unskilled players will lose almost instantaneously," Tsujimoto said.

As a means to achieve that (prevent unskilled players from losing instantaneously), Capcom is looking into possibly implementing some kind of pay-for-advantage system in Street Fighter 5 that will allow new players to cover for their lack of skill in matches.

Seriously, first the SoulCalibur producer outright admits their next game is "pay-to-win" and now Capcom is talking about "pay-for-advantage".

Fuck this noise.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Street Fighter V going pay to win?

Seriously, first the SoulCalibur producer outright admits their next game is "pay-to-win" and now Capcom is talking about "pay-for-advantage".

Fuck this noise.

The next step from on Disc DLC and Paid Patches, does this really surprise you? The FGC isn't enough for Capcom, they want a broader audience and more money. All while running every Top IP into the ground.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The next step from on Disc DLC and Paid Patches, does this really surprise you? The FGC isn't enough for Capcom, they want a broader audience and more money. All while running every Top IP into the ground.
No, it's not surprising. But it is really, really sad.

As long as KoF, BlazBlue, Guilty Gear, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, DoA, and Smash don't do this I'll be okay. I didn't like any Capcom fighters this generation anyway aside from Tatsunoko, and I'm pretty sure only three people besides me bought that game.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Thankfully, I think Dark Souls 2 cured me of my compulsion to play video games.

I just don't have it in me to track down games and play them for hours anymore...even that project beast/bloodborne game that From announced looks pretty insipid. Which is fine by me because this generation of gaming is as good as any to get out.

And Devils 3rd looks hilariously douchey....
A russian guy with a katana and chinese tattoos all over him??? LOL!

If you mixed Ryu Hyabusa, Duke Nuke'em, Rainier Wolfcastle and Vin Diesel all into one person, he'd be this cunt.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I have to give it to Nintendo. They definitely made the best announcements.

They're promoting Baynoetta as a franchise that matters even though the first game only has cult status. Including the first game with the second one is a pure class act. Is she in the new Smas Bros?

The Smash Bros. reveals are all really cool. I probably won't buy it because I'm not a fan of that series, but I think the game will do well.

the new look for Zelda is the right way to go. Zelda isn't going to draw new audiences by repeating the 8 and 16 bit looks. That works for handheld/niche markets, but those fans are already sold. I also like the fact that they seem to be taking some chances with the series' formula. I'll play it either way, but I'm cool with the changes. I've liked every Zelda game that's come out.

Hyrule Warriors looks fun as hell. It may not be 'Legend of Zelda' but I'm looking forward to playing this game all the same.

The Witcher 3 remains my number one game of E3 so far, but Nintendo has definitely made the other console manufacturers look pretty timid by comparison.

Assassin's Creed: Unity is starting to look more and more appealing to me. If the devs' comments hold true, this could be the best one yet.

Oh, and Abyss Odyssey just shot to the top of my list of games I must own this year. It looks incredible.

Stop giving ubishit your money, nothing good will come out of it.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I agree with you about Devil's Third. The main character's a fucking douchebag from what I can tell. Didn't we outgrow Duke Nukem? How does giving him a sword change that formula? It's the same reason Yaiba is so damn annoying in Ninja Gaiden Z. I like the idea of integrating guns with swordplay in a Ninja Gaiden style action setting, but this character looks like shit compared to Ryu Hayabusa.

I get it. Itagaki wants to make sure people don't see him just rehashing a franchise he's not involved with anymore, but did he have to make the lead such an annoying, outdated action movie cliche? I really hope there are other characters because unless this game gets big time reviews on release, I am skipping this game if I'm stuck with Shooty Foulmouth McChopsalot III Esquire. I can't inhabit the same virtual space with an irritating jerk for a 15-20 hour campaign.

Yeah, this sums it up. I feel bad about Yaiba because it was a wasted opportunity. The idea was interesting to me, but like you said, Yaiba is a terrible character. Every character in the game seems pretty bad...though admittedly I stopped playing after the first stage :) I will play through it eventually, but I was really disappointed in the game - Yaiba aside, it has a bunch of other problems too.

I'm ok with developers trying something new with franchises (I like Other M :)), but too much was just poorly executed or not thought out in Yaiba.

Unfortunately I feel Devil's Third is going to be another wasted opportunity. And given the slow release of games on the Wii U, they really can't afford misfires...

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Ono just came out on Twitter saying

The SFV news today about a pay to win model is not accurate and isn't something we're planning for. Sorry for the confusion! We're still in early planning stages and will share more at a later date.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Never played Yaiba cuz I heard it wasnt interesting, but Devil's Third looks good. Somehow, these piece of shit character types don't annoy me, I enjoy the hypertropes that characters like this are.

Even Duke Nukem, I mean come on, wall tits? Who wasn't slapping those things like a madman when you walked into that cave and saw there.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Ono just came out on Twitter saying

Can only wait and see. Ono can say all he wants, Board of Directors have the final say in the end and its exactly how Capcom loses its key personnel.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Somehow, these piece of shit character types don't annoy me, I enjoy the hypertropes that characters like this are.

I remember years ago seeing the announcement trailer for Shadows of the Damned and thinking "FUCK, what a fucking musclebound-douchebag-ethnic-stereotype, covered in tattoos with a scar over the eye! I'll pass on this shit, thanks."

Years later I bought the game and among the many things I liked was Garcia Hotspurs ridiculous design. The whole game was fucking hilarious.....who knows, this might be as well.

At the very least, it'll be worth a watch on a youtube playthrough.

famicommander

15 Year Member
So Nintendo just announced a steampunk TPS/strategy game for 3DS, from Miyamoto and Intelligent Systems.

It's at a developer roundtable so we probably won't see any screens or videos until tomorrow but it sounds pretty awesome to me. Intelligent Systems is fucking awesome (responsible for Nintendo Wars, Fire Emblem, Paper Mario, and Wario Ware).

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
I remember years ago seeing the announcement trailer for Shadows of the Damned and thinking "FUCK, what a fucking musclebound-douchebag-ethnic-stereotype, covered in tattoos with a scar over the eye! I'll pass on this shit, thanks."

Years later I bought the game and among the many things I liked was Garcia Hotspurs ridiculous design. The whole game was fucking hilarious.....who knows, this might be as well.

At the very least, it'll be worth a watch on a youtube playthrough.

When I played through this game and this started playing, I laughed my balls off. Only one was found.