Capcom Open to Takeover?

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
I would want Nintendo to do it BUT keep the hands off of the development teams as far as what content goes into their games. It's not deep in Nintendo's nature to do the BS stuff like DLC and microtransacting everything.

Plus, they would actually use old licenses. Get Mega Man back up and running proper.

EDIT: I say this knowing this won't be the outcome. Likely it's EA or Ubisoft and we can all die a bit more inside.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I would want Nintendo to do it BUT keep the hands off of the development teams as far as what content goes into their games. It's not deep in Nintendo's nature to do the BS stuff like DLC and microtransacting everything.

Plus, they would actually use old licenses. Get Mega Man back up and running proper.

This would be slightly dangerous too. It would mean Street Fighter would never see release on anything outside a Nintendo platform.
Nintendo is just starting to figure out online play.....done well.
Nintendo already has a good relationship with Capcom, but they are also kinda hurting for cash right now. Japan studios are just hurting in general.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
If it were to happen, I think it would be best if they ended up with another Japanese company. Might be a dream, but SAMI/SEGA did buy Treasure not too long ago...

The important thing is that regardless of who were to take over Capcom, that they actually use their IPs and bring out good games.

Phyeir

Nintendo already has a good relationship with Capcom, but they are also kinda hurting for cash right now.

Currently, they are operating at a net loss, but...

A) It is a small net loss and more importantly

B) Nintendo has approx $10 billion in cash reserves

They could make a play at the admittedly cash strapped company and make decent use out of their back catalog. And still have plenty left over.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It'd be funny if Capcom ended up joining SNKP.

Phyeir

Finally, we'd have Street Fighter X Pachinko

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member

Dragons Dogma rekindled my love for Capcom, their in-house dev teams still got it.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
As long as its not microsoft that purchases them.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Dragons Dogma rekindled my love for Capcom, their in-house dev teams still got it.

I poured so many hours into that game. It's great.

Despite all the dumb shit they do, Capcom is still my favorite game company. They still make a number of games I love to this day so I hate hearing stuff like this about them. Unfortunately they do it to themselves. Get that CEO out of there. Kenzo Tsujimoto has been running the company into the ground over the last few years and the company needs a top to bottom shake up badly.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Arksys, Marvelous, fucking Sega...everything would be an inprovement.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Despite all the dumb shit they do, Capcom is still my favorite game company. They still make a number of games I love to this day so I hate hearing stuff like this about them. Unfortunately they do it to themselves. Get that CEO out of there. Kenzo Tsujimoto has been running the company into the ground over the last few years and the company needs a top to bottom shake up badly.

It's their entire Board of Directors that need to go, not just a stupid CEO.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I like Capcom's games and have always loved SF, but I think this is a good opportunity for the company. I hope Sega takes over and revamps their corporate structure while leaving the dev teams in place. It would be a win/win for both companies.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
To those who say "SEGA"...

What is it that SEGA has done in recent years that has made everyone jump up and suggest they buy Capcom?

If anything, SEGA have been just as bad, or even worse than Capcom this last generation, when handling their IP's. And they're STILL making 3D Sonic titles. They're primarily just a publisher nowadays anyway. Meh.

No. Not SEGA.

If anything, I'd be more inclined to say that Namco Bandai were a better fit. After all, they lurve the microtransactional shit. Like two peas in a pod. Having said that, their shared love for said bullshit didn't exactly help SFxTKN sell, did it?

Ideally, we'd all love Capcom to go to a strong, Japanese games dev company... but how many of them really exist right now? I mean, Nintendo... really? Sure, they fit the criteria, however, they can't even reinvigorate their own classic franchises properly, let alone, take on board a whole new catalogue. If Nintendo took Capcom on, chances are, it'd all be outsourced to other developers anyway.

Selfishly, I sort of stopped caring about Capcom after the arrival of the last/7th generation anyway. I was left pretty underwhelmed by DMC4, SF4 and RE5... enough to distance myself from them tbh. On the flip side, I thought (8ing's) Tatsunoko vs Capcom was excellent though. A real flash of some old Capcom brilliance there imo. Didn't care for MvC3 though...

Last edited:

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Honestly, the best Japanese Company to take them over and you will all most likely laugh imo is Square Enix.

Unfortunately, they are just starting to get out of the hole and turn profit now after the restructure in Upper Management. Something I said Capcom should do years ago.

The reason I weigh heavy on Square is the fact after taking over Eidos and Taito, they left teams in place and funded. Taito and Eidos were somewhat bumpy after the buyout but have made some quality titles and products that produced profit. (Tomb Raider reboot / Taito Arcade products)

Sony, Nintendo, MS, no thanks. The only one that might be cross-platform friendly might be Sony and its a gamble.

Sega... no.

Namco is the only other company I could see pull it off.

Phyeir

Honestly, the best Japanese Company to take them over and you will all most likely laugh imo is Square Enix.

Unfortunately, they are just starting to get out of the hole and turn profit now after the restructure in Upper Management. Something I said Capcom should do years ago.

The reason I weigh heavy on Square is the fact after taking over Eidos and Taito, they left teams in place and funded. Taito and Eidos were somewhat bumpy after the buyout but have made some quality titles and products that produced profit. (Tomb Raider reboot / Taito Arcade products)

Sony, Nintendo, MS, no thanks. The only one that might be cross-platform friendly might be Sony and its a gamble.

Sega... no.

Namco is the only other company I could see pull it off.

If you want to stay away from console developers, I'm thinking Koei Tecmo would be better than Namco Bandai. Namco Bandai has started to pull the same type of crap as Capcom and a lot of the other big 3rd parties, but at least in my experience, the DLC Koei loads out is for stuff that you dont need and is actually after the fact, like constant DOA5U costumes. If you want to spend $5 to see more swimsuits, good on you but it isnt changing the core game.

Especially after the Bandai arm basically saying we arent selling goods in the west for anime and such, it makes me worry about them feeling their games dont get proper margins here and stop selling. Then you end up with a Sega like situation where all the real good shit never reaches our shores.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Platinum Games should find some investors and buy it themselves.

Then make great games again using the IPs we all love and that they are all very familiar with.

Get Inafune and Mikami back.

Capcom's IPs all deserve to be in the hands of the people that helped make them so great.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That would actually be pretty great if Platinum had that kind of cash.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
That would actually be pretty great if Platinum had that kind of cash.

Agreed, but they couldn't get Bayonetta 2 off the ground without some help from Nintendo.

I agree with Square Enix though, and mainly because of how they handled their franchise reboots. Deus Ex and Tomb Raider were great games that really helped invigorate their respective franchises to the masses. Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts seem to be making progress, and SE is making time for new IPs as well. Yes they have unrealistic goals of how many games sold is considered "successful" but it is looking better than the past

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
I would love to see platinum games buy them, but I don't see that happening. I like the idea of Nintendo, but i dislike fighters being exclusive.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Platinum would need investors. They'd be paying back those loans for a long time, but goddamn what a pipe dream it would be, both for the Platinum guys and for the fans.