It's Thinking! - 15 years of Sega Dreamcast 9/9/14

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
That sucks!

I remember when I was burning DC games (Well after it's demise - mostly to play homebrew and get JP games) that someone came out with a patch you could apply to the image of a JP game to get it to boot on a US system. That was good shit.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Hell yeah, so many great boots. The collections were pretty cool, came with saves and all kinds of cool shit. Burning was exciting back then, you couldn't get to burn much now. I have a binder full of DC boots. I understand that is piracy, I know this, I have however bought everything I feel I want to actually play, the boots were just a way to test new waters and some had fixes like MVC2 with edit tracks, you could program them in and folks would make different mixes, you download what you want and bam! I'm gonna take you for a ride will take a seat for a change.

Great thread by the way Lagduf. Gonna show my DC love and spread it all over this Motha!

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
while we are on the DC burn train, I love the Beats of Rage mods for dc. Granted they are not all great, and none of them can truly live up to a legit release beat em up, but they can be a good time. I still play these regularly, I really dig the Crisis Evil games (Resident Evil themed 2D beat em up).

and for Official DC stuff, I recently rekindled my love for Tokyo Extreme Racer 2. Hands down my favorite racing game of all time. I'm not usually into driving/racing games but this one brought something very different to to the table, Racing with life bars!!

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Most of the DC images still floating around were patched to burn as region free, thankfully.

Beff, humor yourself and try a utopia disc. IIRC gigawing was one of the few I never found a good selfboot image of, and when I bin2boot'd it it lost audio. Also if you're bigtyiming it with a PVM, the US version didn't support RGB, I had to burn a PAL one for that.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I recently rekindled my love for Tokyo Extreme Racer 2. Hands down my favorite racing game of all time. I'm not usually into driving/racing games but this one brought something very different to to the table, Racing with life bars!!

An amazing game and so is the first one. Loved them both! The PS2 re-release is themed after The Fast & The Furious funny enough but it also has more of everything, worth the find if you are curious. Then I dunno what happen the later releases were different, I wasn't thrilled and Tokyo Drift? I haven't spent much time but it's almost as if they wanted to go Initial D?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Cosmic Smash, motherfuckers! Confidential Mission, shooting dat putty son!! Loooooooooove this system.

One of the best AAA------------->Shovelware
ratios ever.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
I jumped on the DC bandwagon way too late.

All the good games are expensive as fuck.

Really wish I knew some mid-priced titles to look into.

I really like how compact the DC is, funny little machine.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
An amazing game and so is the first one. Loved them both! The PS2 re-release is themed after The Fast & The Furious funny enough but it also has more of everything, worth the find if you are curious. Then I dunno what happen the later releases were different, I wasn't thrilled and Tokyo Drift? I haven't spent much time but it's almost as if they wanted to go Initial D?

yeah, I recently picked up the one on ps2 (Zero), I gave it a whirl and still found myself going back to 2 on the DC :lolz: I might be crazy but i felt like the control was much better on the DC for that game.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Most of the DC images still floating around were patched to burn as region free, thankfully.

Beff, humor yourself and try a utopia disc. IIRC gigawing was one of the few I never found a good selfboot image of, and when I bin2boot'd it it lost audio. Also if you're bigtyiming it with a PVM, the US version didn't support RGB, I had to burn a PAL one for that.

I was using the Utopia boot disc to boot up a legit copy of Gigawing.

Such a shame, I was really itching to play it in celebration. Grandia 2 just isn't doing it for me right now. I love JRPGs but haven't had the patience for them lately.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
aw that sucks. I -might- have a "legit" DC boot disc laying around (one of the innovation ones). If I ever find it I'll send it your way.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
I quit videogames. Then in 2000 a buddy showed me Shenmue, Powerstone, MvC2, and JetGrindRadio. The next I went to the store and bought a DC and I was a goner. Sadly, only a few weeks after SEGA pulled the plug, but during that time most games were $10-20, and Capcom still had those great budget priced ports coming out (I wish I had got more of them, but was a bit caught up in the 3D crap). I remember going to an otaku-import shop in Boston and had to decide which to get: Gigawing, Cool Cool Toon or Project Justice/Moero Justice Gakuen... was a hard choice but I went with the fighting game (no regret).

My main squeezes:

PSO
REZ
MarsMatrix
Moero! Justice Gakuen
Jet Grind Radio
Under Defeat

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
It's a Dreamcast Day miracle! After a few hours of Grandia 2, for some reason now my DC will read the burned boot disc.

Gigawing on DC Day for me after all. :)

EDIT: A solid few hours of Gigawing for me, I almost forgot how frustrating it is, I couldn't even break 5 billion. :(

Last edited:

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Just friggen great. Now my Dreamcast is being selective on what discs it plays. Yesterday I noticed it making a louder then normal grinding sound. It worked with both Gigawings, Project Justice and a few others. Now it won't read both Power Stones, Mr. Driller, Tech Romancer and Double Impact. I hear you need to adjust a screw on the laser to speed the belt on the laser up, but I don't want to risk fucking up my system. Goddamnit.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
This is why ya gotta have spares, before the systems become teh rarez.

Played some Cannon Spike earlier and now I'm playing some Worms Armaggedon. This system, so great.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Thats what I worry about. I've had about 5 Dreamcasts in my life time collectively and I'm down to my last one. The damn lasers keep burning out.

I hope they start reproducing these consoles in some way like they did with stuff like Retron series. I'd hate to live in a world with super expensive DC consoles.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
i currently have 3 dreamcast consoles, one japanese, and 2 US consoles, one US for legit games and oneUS for burn games (the slut) and still plan to pick up more any time i find them cheap.
btw. those innovation boot discs wear out lasers. i have one, and thats what finally pushed me to buy a JP dreamcast, got tired of ruining lasers in US consoles.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I still bust mine out from time to time for Dynamite Cop, Daytona, JGR, and Crazy Taxi.

Fantastic arcade machine and still one of my favs. Hated that it died an early death, took me 3 or 4 years to finally accept the PS2 (which I have to admit I ended up enjoying more than the Dreamcast).

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
The Dreamcast rocks. Bought my system used a couple of years ago because I didn't have the money when it was launched and wanted to know what all the fuss was about - couldn't be more convinced. The thing reads everything I throw at it, it's just a little loud ^^ Sadly the bottom half started yellowing about a week ago, fuck it, as long as it works I'm happy.

Thats what I worry about. I've had about 5 Dreamcasts in my life time collectively and I'm down to my last one. The damn lasers keep burning out.

I hope they start reproducing these consoles in some way like they did with stuff like Retron series. I'd hate to live in a world with super expensive DC consoles.
There are efforts to replace the GD-Rom drive with SD-cards and recently USB-sticks - check this out:
http://renovation-3do.narod.ru/USB-GDROM_Controller.htm
http://gdemu.wordpress.com/
[all info in a super long thread on assembler]

Even though those solutions are now more expensive than another Dreamcast deck, it won't be like that forever and the DC will keep on living.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
The Dreamcast is a pretty awesome system. I got one as a birthday present in probably 2003-2004, just as GameStop's were clearing out their games. I managed to get a ton of games super cheap, on Buy 2 Get One Free's and deals like that. Most were disk only, but it didn't matter. I even remember going to a Rhino games (who had just been bought out by GameStop) and getting a bunch of DC games for under $1 each. It really is a fun system, has tons of great fighters. I haven't played any DC in years, but I recently found a good deal on Cannon Spike at a game store and picked it up, so I need to fire up the DC and check in out. One of my favorite finds game hunting was finding a Sega Sports edition DC at a flea market for about $5. I wanted one but always read they were hard to find, so I was stoked for that. Speaking of which, the Japanese got some awesome looking DC consoles.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
My friend and I ended up playing some fighters to celebrate the Dreamcast's anniversary: Street Fighter Alpha 3, Guilty Gear X, CVS2, and 3rd Strike. Good times.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Me and one of my best friends used to play MvC2 during our college class breaks in the lounge area of the campus. He had a custom burned copy of MvC2 with colors and music. He changed the character select music to the Fox sports football intro music. Shit was epic.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
while we are on the DC burn train, I love the Beats of Rage mods for dc. Granted they are not all great, and none of them can truly live up to a legit release beat em up, but they can be a good time. I still play these regularly, I really dig the Crisis Evil games (Resident Evil themed 2D beat em up).

and for Official DC stuff, I recently rekindled my love for Tokyo Extreme Racer 2. Hands down my favorite racing game of all time. I'm not usually into driving/racing games but this one brought something very different to to the table, Racing with life bars!!

The music in Beat of Rage was great!

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I enjoyed some Gigawing 2 and Maken X last night, first time playing either game. GW2 was awesome and I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed Maken X.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I quit videogames. Then in 2000 a buddy showed me Shenmue, Powerstone, MvC2, and JetGrindRadio. The next I went to the store and bought a DC and I was a goner.

Now we know who to blame...

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
This reminds me how great Sega was back then......................and look at now (sigh)