The COVID-19 Thread and Hypothetical Boxing Predictions

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Not sure how there could be a cash/change shortage these days but if it was from the feds it would be unintentional or to slow the spread of disease because we all highly need cash to be accepted as a form of legal tender and highly liquid currency for our civilization function and in particular our US Dollars here and abroad.

Here's the Fed's explanation on it

Why do U.S. coins seem to be in short supply?

Business and bank closures associated with the COVID-19 pandemic have significantly disrupted the supply chain and normal circulation patterns for U.S. coins. While there is an adequate overall amount of coins in the economy, the slowed pace of circulation has reduced available inventories in some areas of the country.

The Federal Reserve is working with the U.S. Mint and others in the industry on solutions. As a first step, a temporary cap was imposed on the orders depository institutions place for coins with the Federal Reserve to ensure that the current supply is fairly distributed. In addition, a U.S. Coin Task Force was formed to identify, implement, and promote actions to address disruptions to coin circulation.

Since mid-June, the U.S. Mint has been operating at full production capacity, minting almost 1.6 billion coins in June and is on track to mint 1.65 billion coins per month for the remainder of the year.

As the economy recovers and businesses reopen, more coins will flow back into retail and banking channels and eventually into the Federal Reserve, which should allow for the rebuilding of coin inventories.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
I know not having coins have been a killer to the older Laundromats. Quarters are their livelihood.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Hire on site worker to accept Apple Pay, Venmo, etc, and manually control the machines.

Most of them around here are coinless. Purchase and load a card and use them to wash, dry and use the restrooms ;)

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Things went South at work Tuesday, after I'd left for the day. One of the residents tested positive for Covid, then negative on the follow up test, but, she still got moved to the isolation unit for two weeks anyway, and now the whole facility is on lockdown again. We all have to wear those big plastic face shields, in addition to masks, now too. Blech.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Things went South at work Tuesday, after I'd left for the day. One of the residents tested positive for Covid, then negative on the follow up test, but, she still got moved to the isolation unit for two weeks anyway, and now the whole facility is on lockdown again. We all have to wear those big plastic face shields, in addition to masks, now too. Blech.

Stay safe, man.

@M

20 Year Member
I was in her fooking bedroom over the weekend, delivering chips, pop, and candy from her husband (which I sanitized prior to bringing them and putting them away), but at least I had my mask on.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The strain is weaker now I hear. Not as deadly as in January and February。

Naika

Street Hoop Star
I was in her fooking bedroom over the weekend, delivering chips, pop, and candy from her husband (which I sanitized prior to bringing them and putting them away), but at least I had my mask on.

Be careful man and stay safe.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member

I read it was because it was infecting younger people rather than older people at the moment, and because of the couple of half decent drugs they have to treat it with now.

Hope you're right though.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member

That is the case with most viruses. The weaker strains are more likely to be transmitted because of asymptomatic spread and because if the strain is too strong it could kill or debilitate the host before they have a chance to infect too many others.

@M

20 Year Member
Sigh. Everything was relatively cool when I left work yesterday, came in this morning and we're on 14 day lockdown again. One of the housekeepers tested positive for Covid. I was actually the one that screened her when she came in to work yesterday too--she wasn't running a fever, looked fine, and said no to all the symptoms when I questioned her (but, of course, she could have lied). We both had surgical masks on, but she was only like two feet away from me too, so, that's not good.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
My brother in law has an autistic son. In Tucson, they sent the these kids back to school. He say right next to a kid who tested pos.. He's a single dad with two boys. The all tested negative, but were quarantined for 2 weeks. My brother in law talked to another teacher at the school and the special class's bus driver. Neither were ever told about the pos. tested kids they were interacting with. At the end of the two weeks, they were tested again. The autistic son tested pos.. 3 more weeks of quarantine for all of them right? Wrong. 1 week in, he gets a call and the school days his autistic son that just tested positive is asymptomatic and needs to come back to school. Then the next day, they say his other son needs to go back to regular school starting Monday.

Here, schools are done through December and the state college closed until next summer.

What are things like with schools where you guys live? Safety first? ADA first? Make the parents that need to go to work happy?

@M

20 Year Member
I don't have any children, but, most of the schools are open in my area of Michigan, including colleges. They're just requiring masks as far as I know.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
My brother in law has an autistic son. In Tucson, they sent the these kids back to school. He say right next to a kid who tested pos.. He's a single dad with two boys. The all tested negative, but were quarantined for 2 weeks. My brother in law talked to another teacher at the school and the special class's bus driver. Neither were ever told about the pos. tested kids they were interacting with. At the end of the two weeks, they were tested again. The autistic son tested pos.. 3 more weeks of quarantine for all of them right? Wrong. 1 week in, he gets a call and the school days his autistic son that just tested positive is asymptomatic and needs to come back to school. Then the next day, they say his other son needs to go back to regular school starting Monday.

Here, schools are done through December and the state college closed until next summer.

What are things like with schools where you guys live? Safety first? ADA first? Make the parents that need to go to work happy?

My daughter started in school learning a few weeks back. Last Thurs, we were contacted by the school, they stated she was exposed to a tested positive kid on Tue, so she's now on a mandatory 2-week "healthy quarantine" along side my wife and myself. They notified the county health board. They contacted us on Fri, now we need to do daily reports.

This sucks...this is strike one, if there's a strike two we're going to pull our kid from school and have her do remote learning. As shitty as that is for her, we can't keep doing this crap every time she's "exposed" to another tested-positive child.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
My 3 and 4 year old are doing half-day afternoons at school (Max class size 12). The 3 year old would be doing half days (12 to a class) anyways. The four year old goes in 2 hours early one day a week to do music/art/library.

The good thing is that they are giving lunches on arrival to the 3 year olds due to covid. The 4 year old is provided lunch on arrival and is sent home with a take home breakfast.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Schools are all online only here through at least October. My nephew does all his work on a Chromebook.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Our district is off until Jan.. My son's hockey team wants to start practice in October. 14 kids on the ice, 3 coaches, no parents. I want him to play so badly, but I'm afraid they're not going to follow any rules without parents in there.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Schools here (MA) are giving families options. They can either do a hybrid program where they are in school 2 days a week and at home 3 days.

Or they can do a full remote option 5 days.

We’re doing the full remote option for my eldest who is in 3rd grade. I was concerned she’d be the only kid in class, but thankfully there are 9 other kids. Last year she had 21 kids in her class and so basically it is split down the middle this year for her class size...which I was surprised about.

So far so good, she really loves her teacher and they have spent a lot of time getting kids more comfortable in a remote environment. Honestly I think her teacher is doing an amazing job.

I was out of work on medical leave for quite awhile but started working again at the beginning of September. My office is slowly bringing people back in...but likely won’t be everyone until the end of the year. They’ve been really supportive with my illness and thankfully they’ve basically said I don’t need to come back in the office until there is a vaccine. I hate being away from the office...but I am really lucky and grateful they’re being so accommodating.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
9 kids is a lot. When my son's 3rd grade class was asked, he was 1 of 2 kids that said they wanted full distance learning. All of his friends will be going to back when hybrid school starts. Most likely in January.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
I don't have any children, but, most of the schools are open in my area of Michigan, including colleges. They're just requiring masks as far as I know.

Hope you're doing okay M. I never like to hear fellow health professionals getting sick from this shit. Stay safe dude.