Neo Geo 3

FredyFired

Fired up the fuck
Noob of the Year
Seriously they don't even need to recreate the AES 1:1, make it mini and release mini carts. They wouldn't need to worry about funding for the next 10 3D titles.
If somehow they end up doing something like this I'd appreciate the controllers being actual arcade sticks like the og AES had and something else that is important for me personally is that if it does have mini carts, I hope they actually function as proper carts, even if they would be just glorified flash drives, otherwise they would just end up being useless pieces of plastic like the commemorative mini cartridges in those shitty limited run physical editions of recent ports, also I'd really appreciate there being no useless details on the console. (shit that is just there but serves no actual function, like a fake memory card slot for example, that is just there for the sake of mimicking the original)

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
If somehow they end up doing something like this I'd appreciate the controllers being actual arcade sticks like the og AES had and something else that is important for me personally is that if it does have mini carts, I hope they actually function as proper carts, even if they would be just glorified flash drives, otherwise they would just end up being useless pieces of plastic like the commemorative mini cartridges in those shitty limited run physical editions of recent ports, also I'd really appreciate there being no useless details on the console. (shit that is just there but serves no actual function, like a fake memory card slot for example, that is just there for the sake of mimicking the original)
I entirely feel the sentiment about the shitty plastic pointless "carts" WTF is the point of a fucking SoNiC MaNiA "Genesis" cartridge that uh cant be used in a fucking Genesis? Even for like some little minigame, something anything. I ask myself why, even as a setimental person, why people buy pointless trinkets and shit like that, and then I remember the soyboy Nintendo simps out there you see wandering around at your local Gamestop buying all their stupid trinkets and toys and Im like "Oh, right."

Still, I think SNK doesnt/hasnt ever had those types of fans, their systems having been so inaccessible, Im not sure how much fake cart shit would even do for an AES 3.

If they were interchangable little flash carts as you said that really would be cheap, and a functional novelty and something to set itself apart from the now throng of mini consoles.

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Oh, SNK had an army of those fans, people who couldn't afford it and now take loans to buy up everything. Inaccessibility is what made them happen in the first place.
That does make sense, that they pay out the nose for things they once idolized, but are they on the same level as buying silly trinkets and non directly AES/MVS/Real SNK hardware/memorobilia? Like are they going to go apeshit for a Funko Pop of Fio or Mai?

FredyFired

Fired up the fuck
Noob of the Year
That does make sense, that they pay out the nose for things they once idolized, but are they on the same level as buying silly trinkets and non directly AES/MVS/Real SNK hardware/memorobilia? Like are they going to go apeshit for a Funko Pop of Fio or Mai?
Like I pointed out before, shitty non-funcitonal memorabilia of SNK stuff already exists and it sold out. So some people are on that level.
Look a bit more into this.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I entirely feel the sentiment about the shitty plastic pointless "carts" WTF is the point of a fucking SoNiC MaNiA "Genesis" cartridge that uh cant be used in a fucking Genesis? Even for like some little minigame, something anything. I ask myself why, even as a setimental person, why people buy pointless trinkets and shit like that, and then I remember the soyboy Nintendo simps out there you see wandering around at your local Gamestop buying all their stupid trinkets and toys and Im like "Oh, right."

Still, I think SNK doesnt/hasnt ever had those types of fans, their systems having been so inaccessible, Im not sure how much fake cart shit would even do for an AES 3.

If they were interchangable little flash carts as you said that really would be cheap, and a functional novelty and something to set itself apart from the now throng of mini consoles.
The fake ornaments might be zoomers who never owned the real thing in the first place, but think the decoration is cool. This is the same generation that buys amiibos and Funko pop characters after all. I can't understand why people buy the limited extras like that either, so I'm just guessing.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Maybe Tommy Tallarico can buy SNK and give us the SNK Amico we all deserve.

Why does anyone even want this? Let's say even for a second they lose all sense and actually deliver a new console, what the hell would that even be like? Just another platform for the same old indie games that pop up everywhere else?

A cart based system with expensive games that everyone complains about and can't find a good title to justify even picking the thing up in a bundle for next to nothing in five years when everyone realizes they still have one tucked away in a box in the garage?

What is there even to deliver here? If you love old SNK games and want more of them just in lesser quality, get into IGS! Not sure why people even play the Internet spec-game on this crap. "Oh, if only they put out a console with carts and made it exclusive they'd be baller-rich!" No they wouldn't. That shit would flop so hard that we'd hear it reverberating for months. HARD PASS on this crap, whatever it is or isn't.

FredyFired

Fired up the fuck
Noob of the Year
The fake ornaments might be zoomers who never owned the real thing in the first place, but think the decoration is cool. This is the same generation that buys amiibos and Funko pop characters after all. I can't understand why people buy the limited extras like that either, so I'm just guessing.
As a zoomer myself, I'm not entirely sure what to say either. I do think that some of these things are targeted directly at zoomers, but then there are some that like to cash in more so on nostalgia, really depends. Also I am not sure if zoomers are the ones that mostly buy things like these, if for example you watch unboxings of some of these collectables/limited edition thingies, most of the people doing them are a bit older with most likely too much money at their disposal and plenty of space to fill in with plastic waste. I do agree that recently zoomers are starting to jump in on the collectard bandwagon, hence why prices of popular games from the early to mid 2000s are rising, since they want to "relieve" their childhood stuff. (DS Pokemon games are a good example here)

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Why does anyone even want this? Let's say even for a second they lose all sense and actually deliver a new console, what the hell would that even be like? Just another platform for the same old indie games that pop up everywhere else?

Honestly?

A perfect FPGA recreation of the original console (be it Neo-Geo, IGS, etc.) with a bunch of video output options (scaling, scanlines, etc.) and online functionalities, such as a digital store to download the games, online leaderboards, online co-op and versus play, steamworks-like shop where people can share their mods/hacks/translations and, what the hell, let's shoot for the stars here, actual online ranked boards with regular tourneys and what have you.

Basically, something like Fightcade, but in a console with perfect emulation and properly organized.

And, if you really must, a cartridge slot so you can play the games you already own.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Honestly?

A perfect FPGA recreation of the original console (be it Neo-Geo, IGS, etc.) with a bunch of video output options (scaling, scanlines, etc.) and online functionalities, such as a digital store to download the games, online leaderboards, online co-op and versus play, steamworks-like shop where people can share their mods/hacks/translations and, what the hell, let's shoot for the stars here, actual online ranked boards with regular tourneys and what have you.

Basically, something like Fightcade, but in a console with perfect emulation and properly organized.

And, if you really must, a cartridge slot so you can play the games you already own.
Yeah, we'll get right on that for you. We've already sold one. This shit is going to make us rich!

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Let's say even for a second they lose all sense and actually deliver a new console, what the hell would that even be like? Just another platform for the same old indie games that pop up everywhere else?

I didn't say it would have been viable or anything.
You asked, I replied what *I* would like to see

Just have SNK license a FPGA NeoGeo AES/MVS/CD Core, put it in a mini AES shell, with usb ports for controllers, have Wifi/Eth so you can purchase/dl any of the AES/MVS/CD games, and use rollback netcode so you can play multiplayer. Have it come with 20 standard games and a free pass for 10 of your choice.

done.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Just have SNK license a FPGA NeoGeo AES/MVS/CD Core, put it in a mini AES shell, with usb ports for controllers, have Wifi/Eth so you can purchase/dl any of the AES/MVS/CD games, and use rollback netcode so you can play multiplayer. Have it come with 20 standard games and a free pass for 10 of your choice.

done.
Exactly.

you could take it one further too. Either throw in a cart slot and remanufacture them or use a smaller format and box it up nicely. You want to sell me a $60 card with awesome packaging that’ll be fun to check out and work on hardware? I’ll bite

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Amiibo's serve a purpose, but Funko's, not so much.

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
If SNK still has the half-finished MotW2, they could complete that and make it an exclusive for the Neo 3. They've also confirmed MS8 to be in development, but what if that isn't a new 3D entry but another entry reusing old spritework like SNK did for 6? That could also be on the system. If they sold them on discs or even Switch-style carts, and then put out special editions inside AES-style cases, that could be successful.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
If SNK still has the half-finished MotW2, they could complete that and make it an exclusive for the Neo 3. They've also confirmed MS8 to be in development, but what if that isn't a new 3D entry but another entry reusing old spritework like SNK did for 6? That could also be on the system. If they sold them on discs or even Switch-style carts, and then put out special editions inside AES-style cases, that could be successful.
Dude, don't play with my sentiments like that XD Throw in, let's say, Magician Lord 2 and we're set!

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Look it's alright if you like jacking off to retarded dreams in the privacy of your own home but to come here and do it? It's just rude.

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
In an era when SNK actually released SSV Perfect, anything is possible.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Well it was never an approved title as such, that's why it wasn't released until someone from the team coughed up the test cart that he was not supposed to have kept.

And no not anything is possible, this is SNK we're talking about. A cash strapped, creative process drained shell of it's former self. There will be no big risk taking ventures, no wasting time and resources on finishing old games or making last blade 3 or remanufacturing carts like some of us like to delude ourselves with.

Last edited: